70gto

Glock 34

37 minutes ago, 70gto said:

What do you guys think of the Glock 34 for competition? I never competed before and this is just another excuse to buy another Glock. Seriously is it worth it? I have a Glock 17 already

It was on my short list of guns to buy next. It seems like as long as you know how to customize it you're good to go. Apparently sights need upgrading and I've read about people changing the trigger. 

As with all Glocks, change the sights.  I have finally changed most of mine and cannot believe how shitty the stock Glock sights are.  I have a G34 and the sights that came on it were exceptionally shitty. I pulled it out of my range bag and the rear sight assembly was shifted halfway off the gun.  They pushed back into place way too easily. The trigger on the G34 is pretty good, better than my other Glocks and I have never changed it out. Overall I like the G34 and think it would be a good gun to compete with.

The Glock 34 comes with a minus (-) connector from the factory so the trigger is a pound lighter than the Glock 17's. Also comes with extended slide release. Sights have adjustable rear, but still suck. Glock 34 is the most popular gun by far at any competition, although many people say they shoot their Glock 17 just as good or better. 

The longer sight radius is the selling point for me for the G34 over the G17. The 1lb difference in trigger weight isn't a big deal. Getting it smooth is more important. You can do a polishing job to speed things up but I prefer the old fashioned way - just shoot the snot out of it. My G35 has over 17k rounds through it and the trigger is about as good as a Glock trigger is going to get without sacrificing safety and reliability.

My preference is to not go lighter than the minus connector that comes with the G34/G35. The lighter you go the more spongey the trigger tends to feel instead of having a definite wall before the break.

Many trigger kits for Glocks include a lighter striker spring (which fails to set off some rounds with poorly seated primers or hard primers) and a lighter striker block spring (if the striker block doesn't reset properly your gun is no longer drop safe).

The extended slide stop is a problem for some people as their grip falls on the lever. They can change their grip (which is not necessarily easy for certain sized hands) or switch to the regular slide stop.

I have a Glock 34 and use it as my IDPA SSP gun. One critical question is what type of competition to you want to participate in? If you want to shoot IDPA and compete in the stock service pistol (SSP) the G34 is a great gun as long as you don’t change too much. You can upgrade sights, do minor trigger work (stock parts) cosmetics and grip work but much more beyond that puts you into ESP or possibly will make the gun ineligible to compete in IDPA at all. Other disciplines have their own rules, so best to understand them before deciding.

It is a very popular gun for IDPA for good reason, and I do recommend it. Basically, everything Stu said above is spot on. The longer sight radius along with a relatively cheap cost and availability of cheap factory mags, lots of aftermarket support including holsters/mag holders and overall reliability makes it a popular option.  

That said, there are now other very good options such as the Q5 Match which in my opinion in stock form has a better trigger than the G34 but no where near the aftermarket support and the mags are almost twice the cost.

1 hour ago, Greg said:

I have a Glock 34 and use it as my IDPA SSP gun. One critical question is what type of competition to you want to participate in? If you want to shoot IDPA and compete in the stock service pistol (SSP) the G34 is a great gun as long as you don’t change too much. You can upgrade sights, do minor trigger work (stock parts) cosmetics and grip work but much more beyond that puts you into ESP or possibly will make the gun ineligible to compete in IDPA at all. Other disciplines have their own rules, so best to understand them before deciding.

It is a very popular gun for IDPA for good reason, and I do recommend it. Basically, everything Stu said above is spot on. The longer sight radius along with a relatively cheap cost and availability of cheap factory mags, lots of aftermarket support including holsters/mag holders and overall reliability makes it a popular option.  

That said, there are now other very good options such as the Q5 Match which in my opinion in stock form has a better trigger than the G34 but no where near the aftermarket support and the mags are almost twice the cost.

You and Mr Stu gave me alot to consider. I never even thought that modifying the gun would change classes . Do heavy mods such as the link above to Taron tactical change anything in 3 gun?

Do it.

G34 is the most shootable Glock made.

Buy a stock Gen 5 g34. Spend the leftover money you would have dropped on the  Pedophile’s model (Tarans version) and get Upgraded sights and/or optic and a bunch of ammo instead.

Get a few thousand quality rounds through the gun and then pick the improvements you want done.

Or if you don’t like it, sell it. You’ll recoup more $$ on a used stock gun than a pricey boutique package.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Buy a stock Gen 5 g34. Spend the leftover money you would have dropped on the  Pedophile’s model (Tarans version) and get Upgraded sights and/or optic and a bunch of ammo instead.

Ouch.   That was such a weird event that happened.   Not sure what I even think about it.  

Seems like this may have opened up something it was never meant too. I dont I know anything about it and if I should let me know as I would never support anyone or any organization that  did that. There are lots of other places to support if that is the case. PM would be fine if it shouldn't be aired in an open forum.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:35 PM, 70gto said:

What do you guys think of the Glock 34 for competition? I never competed before and this is just another excuse to buy another Glock. Seriously is it worth it? I have a Glock 17 already

FWIW, you could compete with your Glock 17.  The G34 just gives you a slight advantage with the longer site radius (7.95" slide length versus 8.74").  I would recommend you get started with what you already have, learn from it, and then upgrade if you decide it's worth it.

There are other popular options out there, such as the Walther Q5 Match mentioned by @Greg , the CZ Shadow 2, as well as the Springfield Armory XD-M 5.25" (I have the .45 cal model).