Suggestion for a Handgun to try out

I'm planning on going to gunforhire next week when they are open to shoot working with my long guns. However, with the very pro handgun crowd here I was thinking maybe I should revisit trying to shoot a handgun for a rental. And if by some miracle I managed to get moderately okay with a handgun go through then p2p process get training etc...

I don't think I would ever be remotely comfortable/good enough to use a handgun for self defense/ under stress so I am not thinking about that but more easy of shooting. Any recommendations for an easy to use handgun to rent? I figure if I can rent one and manage to get on paper it might be worth exploring as something to buy down the line.

Things to note: I'm left handed, and small to medium glove. 

If i were you I'd splurge and rent three.

1- RugerMark IV - 22 lr. - It's a .22 so recoil won't be an issue and you can relax and just focus on your grip and trigger pull (and work out the whole left hand thing).

2 - Glock 19 - Yes, I went there.  Very vanilla 9mm semi-auto polymer pistol.  There are TONS of others available, but the G19 is a good representation of the genre.

3 - S&W 686revolver - 357 mag - I'm a big fan of revolvers, and if you were to have only ONE pistol in the house for the rest of your life for home defense, this would be a great choice.  If you shoot .38 Special out of it instead of .357 magnum you'll be surprised how light the recoil feels (particularly after shooting the Glock).

If you're only shooting one I'd go with the Ruger.  Focus on getting used to operating a pistol.  You'll probably be surprised at how quickly you put nice groups together.

Have fun!

• Agree 1

The following are my opinions only and they come from someone with much less experience than many here. Also, the only Southpaw in my family is my Mother, so I can not offer direct advise there. Some mfg are more accommodating to lefties than others. You probably already knew that though from Rifles.

1. Do not go larger than 9mm, 22 is best, but there will be limited options there.
  2. Fondle as many as you can.
  3. Heavier guns have less felt recoil.
  4. Longer barrelled guns increase the distance between the sights which makes it easier to aim.
  5. You don't "need" a $1500 1911 as your first handgun. Budget priced guns are great to start with while you decide what features you like and dislike.
  6. Some mfg have multiple size backstraps to accommodate various hand sizes.
  7. Some handguns allow you to remove the FCU (fire control unit) and install it into a third party frame for even further accommodations and customization.
  8. Just like with Rifles, the quality of the trigger matters. Dry fire anything you're permitted to.
  9. Revolvers are still a thing and some swear by using them as a platform to learn trigger discipline.
  10. Zeke will tell you to buy a SIG.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

If i were you I'd splurge and rent three.

1- RugerMark IV - 22 lr. - It's a .22 so recoil won't be an issue and you can relax and just focus on your grip and trigger pull (and work out the whole left hand thing).

2 - Glock 19 - Yes, I went there.  Very vanilla 9mm semi-auto polymer pistol.  There are TONS of others available, but the G19 is a good representation of the genre.

3 - S&W 686revolver - 357 mag - I'm a big fan of revolvers, and if you were to have only ONE pistol in the house for the rest of your life for home defense, this would be a great choice.  If you shoot .38 Special out of it instead of .357 magnum you'll be surprised how light the recoil feels (particularly after shooting the Glock).

If you're only shooting one I'd go with the Ruger.  Focus on getting used to operating a pistol.  You'll probably be surprised at how quickly you put nice groups together.

Have fun!

Thank you! I have ammo for the Ruger and the S&W so that should save me some money enough to rent 2 this trip. :)

On 6/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, CF1782 said:

Thank you! I have ammo for the Ruger and the S&W so that should save me some money enough to rent 2 this trip. :)

Typically if you rent, you need to buy your ammo there.  They want to make sure you use factory ammo.  So as to minimize chance of a kaboom.

Also they make a little more money.

7 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Typically if you rent, you need to buy your ammo there.  They want to make sure you use factory ammo.  So as to minimize chance of a kaboom.

Also they make a little more money.

I did not know that darn. Maybe just the mark iv then... I dont reload and I would bring everything in factory boxes but if it's about turning a profit I get it. I guess I will save the revolver for next trip.

Also that would make renting the glock less likely for me I dont have anything that shoots 9mm so unless I shoot the box I am probably going to get stuck with ammo I wouldn't use especially if I find out quickly that I dont like shooting it.

Thanks for the info!

I have my own guns, so I've never rented but I've always heard places like RTSP rent by the caliber/hr. Meaning you can rent 9mm for the hour and switch the gun out for another 9mm. Personally, I'd go with 9mm, .22LR pistols tend to be finicky and can jam often. 

Ranges will require you to use their ammo if you're renting. They want to be sure you aren't using reloads in them. Also, like mentioned above, they make more money that way.

I'd try out a H&K VP9, S&W M&P9 2.0...there's others but those have fit my hand the best with the same grip as I assume you have. 

16 minutes ago, InFamous said:

I have my own guns, so I've never rented but I've always heard places like RTSP rent by the caliber/hr. Meaning you can rent 9mm for the hour and switch the gun out for another 9mm. Personally, I'd go with 9mm, .22LR pistols tend to be finicky and can jam often. 

Ranges will require you to use their ammo if you're renting. They want to be sure you aren't using reloads in them. Also, like mentioned above, they make more money that way.

I'd try out a H&K VP9, S&W M&P9 2.0...there's others but those have fit my hand the best with the same grip as I assume you have. 

I just looked at the gun for hire faqs it appears to be a 25 dollar rental per fire arm not caliber and it doesn't say that I need to buy their ammo only that the price doesn't include ammo. But I will probably have to just ask on the day. 

Regarding 22lr being finicky I am not sure I should be too concerned about that. If I was buying yes I see the point but if I get a dud round in a rental I dont see why that would be a big deal. I'm more concerned about getting it on the paper. If I accomplish that feat at say 10 yards regularly I'll start thinking about maybe renting to buy.

Anthony Colandro, the owner of GFH is on here, hopefully he can clear it up and give you some suggestions. 

If you're on FB, hit him up. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out. 

I am gathering up some great options to try out though this might be several range trips before I really make a dent on this list of options. Glock 19 got 2 votes so it appears to be a front runner. So if I can tomorrow maybe I'll go with a box of 9mm and give if a chance. If I hate it I will have to figure out something to do with the rest of the box. 

That and the mark iv because that gun looks like a lot of fun.

@CF1782 The box of 9 mm is 50 rounds, shoot the whole box tomorrow!

There are many quality pistols available out there.  The key is to try a few and find one you like. Everyone has their suggestion and they are not wrong. You will not be making a mistake by going with something from a quality manufacturer:  S&W, Glock, Beretta, H&K, Sig Sauer, Walther, Springfield Armory, CZ.  I am sure I am missing some.

If this is going to be used for personal defense, .22 is generally not recommended as it doesn't have adequate stopping power.  If you just want it for plinking and target practice then .22 is fine.

Here is the rental list from GFH.  My recommendation is go for a larger rather than smaller pistol, the reason being heavier weight means less felt recoil and longer slide means longer site radius = easier to aim.  if it were me trying them out, these are the 9 mm at GFH that I would possibly choose from:

29    Springfield Armory    XD    pistol    9mm
38    H&K    VP9    pistol    9mm
45    Sig Sauer    P229    pistol    9mm
59    Walther    PPQ    pistol    9mm
67    CZ    75 B SA    pistol    9mm
97    S&W    M&P 9    pistol    9mm
246    Springfield Armory    1911-A1 Range Officer    pistol    9mm
326    Glock    34    pistol    9mm
327    Glock    19    pistol    9mm
331    Sig Sauer    P320    pistol    9mm
349    Sig Sauer    P226 Elite    pistol    9mm
374    Beretta    92FS    pistol    9mm
375    Glock    17    pistol    9mm
402    Beretta    92FS    pistol    9mm
408    Glock    48    pistol    9mm
418    Beretta    M9    pistol    9mm 

17 hours ago, CF1782 said:

... it doesn't say that I need to buy their ammo only that the price doesn't include ammo.

https://gunforhire.com/why-rent-guns/

There’s no excuse for not dropping by.  We’re conveniently located at the intersection of Route 46 and McBride Avenue.  Don’t forget that travelling with firearms in New Jersey is challenging at best.  Don’t get caught committing that unintentional felony.  Leave your firearms home and rent from us!  All Gun Library rentals are for one gun at a time.  You must purchase ammunition for your rental from Woodland Park Range.  (Our insurance company insists and there are no exceptions!)

21 hours ago, CF1782 said:

I did not know that darn. Maybe just the mark iv then... I dont reload and I would bring everything in factory boxes but if it's about turning a profit I get it. I guess I will save the revolver for next trip.

Also that would make renting the glock less likely for me I dont have anything that shoots 9mm so unless I shoot the box I am probably going to get stuck with ammo I wouldn't use especially if I find out quickly that I dont like shooting it.

Thanks for the info!

pick something in .45 and rent the tommy gun if you still have any left over!

I find the .45acp shoots just as well as 9mm, not nearly as snappy in full sized guns.

• Like 2

Have you shot handguns before?

It's not difficult to become accurate with one.  Practice or take some classes.  You dont' need to be a sharp shooter especially if self defense if your primary concern.

Revolvers are, in my opinion, one of the simpliest to understand and operate firearms.  They are great self defense weapons espeically for people who are new to firearms or not have much experience with handguns.  Most don't have a safety, no worrying about sliding the rack, loading a magazine, stove pipes or failures to feed, flying brass, etc.  Just open it up, load it, point and shoot.  

If you've already shot 22 handguns you know there is hardly any recoil.  As others mentioned, a revolver such as a full sized 357 revolver like a Ruger GP 100 or S&W 586/ 686 fired with 38s is low recoil as well.  Wadcutter rounds are VERY low recoil.  And learning to shoot on a double action revolver is a great place to start learning how to shoot a handgun.  Shooting 357 is a HUGE step up from 38s so if you are newer I would stick with 38s.  You can shoot 38s through a 357 but never the other way around.  I would stick with a 4 inch barrel to start.  Not too short that you'll feel more recoil and not too long to be TOO heavy.  

If you want to try 9mm, CZ makes some great firearms that are considered by many to be some of the most ergomatic handguns around.  They are also pretty affordable.  The CZ75 is their full size.  It's all metal and will absorb a great deal of the recoil.  But 9mm is a snappier round than 38s through a 357 revolver.  Not unmanagable by any stretch of the imagine but their will be more "POP".  Their medium sized handgun (CZP01 or compact) is a fantastic gun.  I have smaller hands and both CZs fit my hands very well.  I hear very good things about Glocks as well.  

45 is an interesting round.  I though it would have a lot of recoil but it really doesn't.  I describe it as having a heavier "thump" but lighter "SNAP".  

Renting guns and buying range ammo can get pretty expensive fairly quickly.  You should find some friends with some different guns, buy a few boxes of ammo and ask them to take you to the range because you are interested in learning.  Most gun people are very friendly and willing to take newbies to the range and to share their guns with you.

Good luck.  You're in for a BUNCH of fun!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I shot my dad's single action revolver for a while (I think it was 5 or so range trips but I dont recall exactly) 20+ years ago. It was for his hands and far too large for me, I missed the paper so regularly that it was a surprise when I did. I am not remotely thinking about self defense with a hand gun. I have rifle/shotgun for that, I was just thinking that it might be good to give it another go with something that actually fit my hand.

I'm thinking if I try something that fits and I get on paper it might be worth a class or 2 and a purchase but if it wasn't just a mismatch of gun and user and I really cannot work with a handgun I'd rather not waste an instructor's time and my money. Maybe in a few years and several classes would I consider a handgun for home defense but it would be 1980's Olympic ice hockey.

Here is a video you might find useful.  

I second a Ruger Mark, not the lite version.  The H&K VP9, a Walther PPQ, or my favorite, a S&W M&P 2.0 might all be good options.  A Ruger GP100 might also be a good choice.  

• Like 1

Thank you all again I appreciate the assistance/advice I'm happy to report gun for hire was a blast, I learned a few things and I was able to get on paper alot more than I had anticipated. The glock 19 gen 5 was harder to shoot but vastly more enjoyable to shoot than the mark iv hunter which felt too heavy and the grip/controls kept me wanting to adjust my hands.  

I shot better with the red dot on the mark iv, but I felt like I was losing my situational awareness trying to stabilize the dot if that makes sense. Cost wise renting without a membership was understandable but not something I can go for long term. Next trip I'm thinking look at pistols similar to the glock 19 (polymer frame 9mm) though honestly I might just get the glock, I feel like it might save me money long term instead of repeated rentals to come back to the glock. (Put the "rental" fund towards classes) 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, tomk62 said:
  • 50 yard range is $30 per hour per port
  • $15 per person for each additional shooter (you have to have a friend with you)
  • $25 per gun rental (does not include the cost of ammo)
  • How much for their ammo? Probably  not less than $25

So you are looking for ~$120 damage per hour just to try two guns. This is what I call overpriced :wacko:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Antonio5 said:
  • 50 yard range is $30 per hour per port
  • $15 per person for each additional shooter (you have to have a friend with you)
  • $25 per gun rental (does not include the cost of ammo)
  • How much for their ammo? Probably  not less than $25

So you are looking for ~$120 damage per hour just to try two guns. This is what I call overpriced :wacko:

Do you think the guys that work there work for free?  Rent and utilities free? Become a member and all that expensive stuff goes away,  and they have more perks for members than any one else.  Free gun rentals! Free transfers!  Free ammo!  Free gun cleaning! Go directly to the front of the line!  Lots more too! Read about membership.  It has it's privileges.  Plus you will become a member of the greatest range ever!

3 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Do you think the guys that work there work for free?  Rent and utilities free? Become a member and all that expensive stuff goes away,  and they have more perks for members than any one else.  Free gun rentals! Free transfers!  Free ammo!  Free gun cleaning! Go directly to the front of the line!  Lots more too! Read about membership.  It has it's privileges.  Plus you will become a member of the greatest range ever!

I just think it could be more friendly to the newcomers (non-members).

1 hour ago, Antonio5 said:

I just think it could be more friendly to the newcomers (non-members).

I can say that GFH place was clean well run with helpful responsive staff that handled my questions and dealt with a flood of people without making anyone uncomfortable.

I chalked it up to getting what you pay for. I probably can shoot cheaper elsewhere but value for money it was worth it in this newcomers estimation just not something I could make a habit of as a nonmember. But of course if I do make a habit of it that's when membership makes sense. 

2 hours ago, CF1782 said:

I can say that GFH place was clean well run with helpful responsive staff that handled my questions and dealt with a flood of people without making anyone uncomfortable.

I chalked it up to getting what you pay for. I probably can shoot cheaper elsewhere but value for money it was worth it in this newcomers estimation just not something I could make a habit of as a nonmember. But of course if I do make a habit of it that's when membership makes sense. 

You have now seen some of the best of the best.  Due to the amount of knowledge that GFH has,  You will be glad you went there.  I am sure it was a great experience for you.  The people there are the coolest.  I see you are right here in Passaic County.  When GFH can get going full capacity I will offer to you free a free guest pass and we can go shoot.  If you want to go again now,  I will send you a gift pass.  It will pay for your range time if that makes it easier for you to go back.  Let me know where to send it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tunaman said:

You have now seen some of the best of the best.  Due to the amount of knowledge that GFH has,  You will be glad you went there.  I am sure it was a great experience for you.  The people there are the coolest.  I see you are right here in Passaic County.  When GFH can get going full capacity I will offer to you free a free guest pass and we can go shoot.  If you want to go again now,  I will send you a gift pass.  It will pay for your range time if that makes it easier for you to go back.  Let me know where to send it.

Thank you for the very gracious offer when it's open to full capacity going shooting sounds like alot of fun. :)