antdre20

Searching or my 1st purchase

Hey All

So I posted a few days again about buying my 1st gun. I still haven’t purchased one yet was trying to hold off and shoot a few different guns at a range. But I did walk into heritage guild in Rahway which I thought had a pretty good selection of handguns. For some reason or another my research or my feelings lead me to loving a Glock. Am I missing something?  Like should I really love this gun as much as I do before even shooting it? Lol. So anyway I put money down on a Glock 17 gen 3 which would be my first handgun ever. It’s a new gen 3 because they obviously are selling everything out like many other stores and sites. Is this a good gun for a first timer? Any recommendations? I was being helped by Keith from heritage guild in Rahway. 

This is my experience and by no means am I saying it will be yours.

It is a good gun just not for me. I'm sure others will chime in with high praise.

People love them or hate them, I bought one before trying it because everyone I spoke to said a glock had to be my first purchase, and after about a year of using it I sold it.

I sold it because I did not enjoy it and it just sat in the safe, not being comfortable with it I did not even want it for home security.

During that time I tried using a Beretta 92 and. HK VP9, they felt much better and I shot them much better. Both very different from each other and the glock.

I have since purchased others but I try to use one or rent one before buying it. 

Either way welcome to our community. Enjoy it. Pretty sure it won't  be your only purchase.

1 hour ago, antdre20 said:

Hey All

So I posted a few days again about buying my 1st gun. I still haven’t purchased one yet was trying to hold off and shoot a few different guns at a range. But I did walk into heritage guild in Rahway which I thought had a pretty good selection of handguns. For some reason or another my research or my feelings lead me to loving a Glock. Am I missing something?  Like should I really love this gun as much as I do before even shooting it? Lol. So anyway I put money down on a Glock 17 gen 3 which would be my first handgun ever. It’s a new gen 3 because they obviously are selling everything out like many other stores and sites. Is this a good gun for a first timer? Any recommendations? I was being helped by Keith from heritage guild in Rahway. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a G17 as a first pistol.

There are lots of people who hate Glocks, lots who love them, and lots who see them as just another pistol.

They're very vanilla, they're typically VERY reliable and don't need tons of maintenance, and they typically cycle loats of ammo.

• Agree 1

It's all personal taste. Nothing particularly wrong with Glocks. Epic loads of aftermarket support for them. You can customize the hell out of them. So if that's what you want, go for it. Just depends on whether you want that style or not.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

This is my experience and by no means am I saying it will be yours.

It is a good gun just not for me. I'm sure others will chime in with high praise.

People love them or hate them, I bought one before trying it because everyone I spoke to said a glock had to be my first purchase, and after about a year of using it I sold it.

I sold it because I did not enjoy it and it just sat in the safe, not being comfortable with it I did not even want it for home security.

During that time I tried using a Beretta 92 and. HK VP9, they felt much better and I shot them much better. Both very different from each other and the glock.

I have since purchased others but I try to use one or rent one before buying it. 

Either way welcome to our community. Enjoy it. Pretty sure it won't  be your only purchase.

I’d really like to shoot the Glock 17 before I purchase. Basically I feel like I want the like and like the way it feels in my hand so far. Obviously firing it can change everything or confirm everything. Also I just put money down on the Glock because I feel like that’s what I want and the guy said obviously guns are being sold at a high rate right now. So I just have that gun on hold but if I choose a different gun I can put whatever money I put down for the Glock towards whatever else I want. 

1 hour ago, 124gr9mm said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a G17 as a first pistol.

There are lots of people who hate Glocks, lots who love them, and lots who see them as just another pistol.

They're very vanilla, they're typically VERY reliable and don't need tons of maintenance, and they typically cycle loats of ammo.

I’m looking for something really simple and reliable and I feel like what I’ve read and seen makes me think they are 

21 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It's all personal taste. Nothing particularly wrong with Glocks. Epic loads of aftermarket support for them. You can customize the hell out of them. So if that's what you want, go for it. Just depends on whether you want that style or not.

Probably not going to do much to it honestly. Just HD gun but if u have recommendations let me know 

I’d really like to shoot the Glock 17 before I purchase. Basically I feel like I want the like and like the way it feels in my hand so far.

I've heard lots explanations why people purchase a Glock, but how it feels in the hand is almost never one of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bomber said:

I've heard lots explanations why people purchase a Glock, but how it feels in the hand is almost never one of them.

Lol well considering that’s the only thing I can do right now other then drive out to Easton Pa to get on the range  which I’m trying to do but working 6 days a week it’s hard to get out there right now. 

12 hours ago, antdre20 said:

Hey All

Your VERY first gun?

I’m looking for something really simple

Smith & Wesson Model 10 4" Revolver in 38 Special.

Learn to shoot that first with target wad cutters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Your VERY first gun?

I’m looking for something really simple

Smith & Wesson Model 10 4" Revolver in 38 Special.

Learn to shoot that first with target wad cutters.

I'm almost in total agreement with you......... If the OP wants new, and the budget allows, check out a S&W 686. If he doesn't mind used (which 90% of my guns were when I bought them) he will find a TON of S&W 686's for sale. I have 5 of them!  :)

Anyway, great first gun, get a few boxes of wadcutters, I have never had anyone complain about recoil with them. Semi wadcutters for a little more kick. .38 Special for a little bit more bang, and then .357 Magnum for something FUN! :)

Shoot it in D/A to learn how to control the squeeze of the long trigger pull. Cock the hammer for S/A mode for the feel of the typical semi auto.

I shot a Glock once, have no desire to do so again. To this day I have yet to buy a "plastic" gun, but have shot some that I did like, the Glock I shot was not one of them though. TO each their own.

• Like 1

I mean wouldnt it make sense to get something that's initially easier to shoot? If hes not looking to buy multiple guns and just wants something easy to maintain and shoot for self defense i don't see why a glock wouldn't fit? 

You gotta practice regardless.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I mean wouldnt it make sense to get something that's initially easier to shoot? If hes not looking to buy multiple guns and just wants something easy to maintain and shoot for self defense i don't see why a glock wouldn't fit? 

You gotta practice regardless.

Just my 2 cents

Yea, I'd say just make sure to try a few different guns first. Grab a Walther, grab a Sig, grab a S&W.

5 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

..... If the OP wants new, and the budget allows, check out a S&W 686. If he doesn't mind used (which 90% of my guns were when I bought them) he will find a TON of S&W 686's for sale. I have 5 of them!  :)

Anyway, great first gun, get a few boxes of wadcutters, I

S&W 686 was my first handgun. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship, very accurate, etc.

However, it made no sense as a primary defensive handgun: Heavy, limited capacity, blinding muzzle blast with magnum ammo, tricky to reload under stress. 

It was eventually sold for more than double what I paid because it had become more of collectors item that stayed in the safe. 

I know that I really like my Glock 19, Gen 4 that I bought about 7 years ago. Really great gun, esp. with the 10 round magazine capacity limit. This also fits my hand perfectly. It also has the 3 dot night sites, so that makes it a very good choice for a home defense handgun, so I know I would highly recommend the 19 if you do not want to get the full size 17. 

If you want to look at some other brands of polymer framed, striker fired handguns, I would also highly recommend the S&W M&P series, esp. the newer 2.0 upgrades, or the FN America, FNS series. Just some other options to consider before getting the Glock 17.  

I have many handguns, many metal guns, polymer and revolvers.

it all depends on what feels good to YOU and YOU shoot well.

my first pistol I ever bought was also a Glock 17.

wait until the ranges open, rent some stuff and make a personal decision.

I own 5+ glocks and shoot them well, I own 4 M&Ps and shoot them great too.

M&P 2.0 series feels a lot better to me than any Glock, and are cheaper.

I own 3 sigs, polymer and metal, they feel great, but I shoot them like ass.

My favorite? Perhaps my CZ P-01.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunnz said:

I have many handguns, many metal guns, polymer and revolvers.

it all depends on what feels good to YOU and YOU shoot well.

my first pistol I ever bought was also a Glock 17.

wait until the ranges open, rent some stuff and make a personal decision.

I own 5+ glocks and shoot them well, I own 4 M&Ps and shoot them great too.

M&P 2.0 series feels a lot better to me than any Glock, and are cheaper.

I own 3 sigs, polymer and metal, they feel great, but I shoot them like ass.

My favorite? Perhaps my CZ P-01.

Thanks. Everyone for the feedback. I just put the money down for the Glock 17. as I stated before  but the guy told me I can put it towards any other gun so I just reserved the Glock for now so no biggie. I will get out to Easton Pa and get a few and shoot 

Thanks. Everyone for the feedback. I just put the money down for the Glock 17. as I stated before  but the guy told me I can put it towards any other gun so I just reserved the Glock for now so no biggie. I will get out to Easton Pa and get a few and shoot 

Im off Tuesday and I'll be there? I have a ppq you can shoot. In a few weeks ill have my cz 75 also. I'll be there early morning

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bomber said:

S&W 686 was my first handgun. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship, very accurate, etc.

However, it made no sense as a primary defensive handgun: Heavy, limited capacity, blinding muzzle blast with magnum ammo, tricky to reload under stress. 

It was eventually sold for more than double what I paid because it had become more of collectors item that stayed in the safe. 

Very accurate......hmmm   

Limited capacity...  (scratches head)

Average rounds fired in a self defense situation is 2.2....

Your fight is going to last as long ad your ammo...

This is tje OPs FIRST handgun....  he needs to learn the basics.... once the basics are sound he can move to the next phase...

I carry a 586 with 357 mag rounds and two reloads on speed loaders in the woods hiking where legal...i don't feel undergunned.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Your choice for a g17 as your FIRST handgun is a mistake...

Have you any training?  Have you EVER fired a 9mm before...?  Do you know what limp wristing is...?  A stovepipe?  A FTF?  An FTE?

Do u understand sight alignment?  Trigger control?

U have not been counseled properly...you have been sold an item.....

Basics basics basics basics....

• Like 2

Just now, USRifle30Cal said:

Your choice for a g17 as your FIRST handgun is a mistake...

Have you any training?  Have you EVER fired a 9mm before...?  Do you know what limp wristing is...?  A stovepipe?  A FTF?  An FTE?

Do u understand sight alignment?  Trigger control?

U have not been counseled properly...you have been sold an item.....

Basics basics basics basics....

when i was a teen i shot a 9mm my uncles other then that no..... and to be honest no to all the other questions....im willing to learn and will to hear any and all advice...

2 minutes ago, antdre20 said:

when i was a teen i shot a 9mm my uncles other then that no..... and to be honest no to all the other questions....im willing to learn and will to hear any and all advice...

GREAT !!!!!!

Where r u located?

A Glock 17 is NOT  starter handgun imo..

A revolver is brute force reliable and a fantastic weapon to start with...

Mag fed semi auto weapons can be finicky....and reliant on many factors to work right...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

GREAT !!!!!!

Where r u located?

A Glock 17 is NOT  starter handgun imo..

A revolver is brute force reliable and a fantastic weapon to start with...

Mag fed semi auto weapons can be finicky....and reliant on many factors to work right...

west caldwell

10 hours ago, antdre20 said:

west caldwell

Why don't you start here !!!

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/train_class_schedule#NRA_Basic_Pistol_Classes

NRA BASIC pistol class....

:)

west caldwell is over by old bridge right???

Paging rosenthal, @Smokin .50 to the white courtesy phone please....  new shooter needs some assistance.

Buying a FIRST gun is not like trying on pants....frankly, and no offense intended, you do not have the skill set to make judgments as to what is right or wrong....other than what might look cool to you.

get basic training first....learn basics first....then when you have a good foundation...go buy something.  :)

MY first HG, was a G17...never ejected right....why limp wristing......brought it back...old guy says try this with this ammo.....he handed me a Model 19 4inch and 250 rounds of 38 wadcutters...  the rest is water under the bridge.

With a revolver it is simplistic....brute force reliable, and easy to see and understand mechanics of double and single action shooting.

Will also help you establish proper grip trigger control etc...with a strong but not overpowering round....and if needed can do fine as a good self d gun....when you need it to go bang, pull the trigger...if it doesn't go bang pull the trigger again...and keep.pulling till it goes bang..or you need to reload...

You can also swing by @gunforhire and check some things out....

My girls learned to shoot on the same model 19...  :)

This is not a difficult process....

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

West Caldwell is in North Jersey, Old Bridge is in Central Jersey. People in my area of NJ say OB is in North Jersey, Caldwell would be considered New York! Yeah, they don't get it, but I understand them.  :)

OP, find someone with different types of guns that belongs to a range, or heck, you are very close to the range in Randolph on RT10, find someone to guest you in and try their guns. DON'T BUY ANYTHING YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those pesky permits take too long to get to waste them on something you may not like.

I don't like MOST plastic guns, but a friend let me shoot two of his one day at OBRPC and I was shocked how well I did with one of them. It fit me perfect, I almost thought my friend was pulling the trigger, not me! He is a far better shooter than me yet I did excellent with his gun. I don't remember what brand or model, I would have to ask him, but it was a .40 Short and Weak (As Rosie loves to call that round!)

If you could meet-up with Rosie (David Rosenthel) I would HIGHLY recommend it! He has a good assortment of guns and is an AWESOME teacher! You will be hard-pressed to find a better person to work with!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

West Caldwell is in North Jersey, Old Bridge is in Central Jersey. People in my area of NJ say OB is in North Jersey, Caldwell would be considered New York! Yeah, they don't get it, but I understand them.  :)

OP, find someone with different types of guns that belongs to a range, or heck, you are very close to the range in Randolph on RT10, find someone to guest you in and try their guns. DON'T BUY ANYTHING YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those pesky permits take too long to get to waste them on something you may not like.

I don't like MOST plastic guns, but a friend let me shoot two of his one day at OBRPC and I was shocked how well I did with one of them. It fit me perfect, I almost thought my friend was pulling the trigger, not me! He is a far better shooter than me yet I did excellent with his gun. I don't remember what brand or model, I would have to ask him, but it was a .40 Short and Weak (As Rosie loves to call that round!)

If you could meet-up with Rosie (David Rosenthel) I would HIGHLY recommend it! He has a good assortment of guns and is an AWESOME teacher! You will be hard-pressed to find a better person to work with!

Yeah old bridge isn’t very close to me. I’m not buying right this second. Also I’m heading to her titans guild in Easton pa today to try a few guns out so we will see how that goes.  And I’ll def try and get something going with the guy u mentioned. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for response 

Glock Fanboy here...

The 17 is a really good gun.  The Gen3's have more aftermarket support than you can shake a stick at.  If you like the pistol, and are committed to learning the manual of arms surrounding it, you will be fine.  

The G17 is the most widely used firearm by the police in this country.  Their reliability is somewhat legendary (and mildly overstated) but in all, it's a really solid gun for HD, plinking, and if you get in to it, gaming.  I'm struggling to understand some of the above comments regarding reliability, it being finicky, and such.  If it was finicky and unreliable police departments wouldn't use it.  Do you need to learn how to shoot...?  Yup.  However I have put Glocks in the hands of people that have never shot a firearm and they have hit a "Q" target at 10 yards pretty regularly.  

If you like it and want it, buy it.  If you want to shoot a 19 send me a PM and we'll see if we can set something up.  You can shoot one of mine.  It's not a 17, but close enough.  If you buy the 17 and it needs some tweaking to fit your hand, shoot me a PM and we'll see if I can help.  The polymer guns are able to be modified to fit a person.  It's actually quite easy.  The drawback is that they can't be modified back easily.  But, they can be worked.  

My suggestions would be (if you buy it) to change the sights and practice a lot.  

First drill (dryfire): balance a penny on the front sight and practice pressing the trigger until you can do so without upsetting the penny.  
No ammo, no shooting, no wasted funds.  You can do it in the basement/garage/apartment without upsetting anyone.  If you start dryfiring a lot, I would recommend that you get some snap caps.  If it's an occasional thing you'll be fine without them.  

Good luck.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bully said:

Glock Fanboy here...

The 17 is a really good gun.  The Gen3's have more aftermarket support than you can shake a stick at.  If you like the pistol, and are committed to learning the manual of arms surrounding it, you will be fine.  

The G17 is the most widely used firearm by the police in this country.  Their reliability is somewhat legendary (and mildly overstated) but in all, it's a really solid gun for HD, plinking, and if you get in to it, gaming.  I'm struggling to understand some of the above comments regarding reliability, it being finicky, and such.  If it was finicky and unreliable police departments wouldn't use it.  Do you need to learn how to shoot...?  Yup.  However I have put Glocks in the hands of people that have never shot a firearm and they have hit a "Q" target at 10 yards pretty regularly.  

If you like it and want it, buy it.  If you want to shoot a 19 send me a PM and we'll see if we can set something up.  You can shoot one of mine.  It's not a 17, but close enough.  If you buy the 17 and it needs some tweaking to fit your hand, shoot me a PM and we'll see if I can help.  The polymer guns are able to be modified to fit a person.  It's actually quite easy.  The drawback is that they can't be modified back easily.  But, they can be worked.  

My suggestions would be (if you buy it) to change the sights and practice a lot.  

First drill (dryfire): balance a penny on the front sight and practice pressing the trigger until you can do so without upsetting the penny.  
No ammo, no shooting, no wasted funds.  You can do it in the basement/garage/apartment without upsetting anyone.  If you start dryfiring a lot, I would recommend that you get some snap caps.  If it's an occasional thing you'll be fine without them.  

Good luck.

appreciate it....so i went to the range today to try 3 guns out... the glock 17, cz 75 SP01 Tactical 9mm and m&p 9

i shot from 6yards mostly and 10yards 

i did like the glock i thought it felt really good, i would probably like to change the sights on it wasn't crazy about that but evrything else felt nice,,,,

i also liked the CZ, that impressed me and it was pretty accurate, and felt really nice shooting... 

for some reason i wasnt crazy about the m&p, but i did like that too lol....they all felt good shooting

i'd say its between the glock and the CZ i believe right now .....

• Like 1

Depends on the “generation” of the M&P.

the trigger on the original M&P series is terrible. Need to upgrade it.

I have a few M&P 2.0 (new gen) and the frame texturing is much more aggressive and the trigger is way better than the original

in my opinion (triggers)

M&p 2.0 > glock > M&P 1.0

• Agree 1