antdre20

Searching or my 1st purchase

6 hours ago, antdre20 said:

Yeah old bridge isn’t very close to me. I’m not buying right this second. Also I’m heading to her titans guild in Easton pa today to try a few guns out so we will see how that goes.  And I’ll def try and get something going with the guy u mentioned. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for response 

@antdre20 I am answering the page from @USRifle30Cal & @M4BGRINGO.  Both are friends.

I would have answered sooner but I was busy with the NJGF Clay Dusters at the Clinton, NJ WMA Range.

Some background:

I'm a Shootist.  Hand me a gun & tell me what you want SHOT.  Any platform.  Black Powder a specialty.

Bought my first hand gun in '77 as a straw purchase from my father AT THE GUN STORE COUNTER before the term was invented.

Tuesday I was hitting & ringing a steel man-sized torso target at 85 yards with my 4" .357 Combat Magnum S&W with the .38 wadcutters mentioned by USRifle30Cal.  Then I switched to my Springfield .45 auto 1911 and did the same.  Others used their customized Glocks, Sigs, etc. with some missing and some hitting. 

I don't own any tupperware (plastic) guns or a striker fired gun.  I stopped collecting about 20 years ago.  I already have what I need.

There is no ONE, perfect hand gun that's good for all situations.  Remember it's supposed to be a hand gun & not a HANDS GUN!  Meaning in a defensive situation if you can't fire it with at a minimum your strong hand ONLY (not using both hands) without causing a stove-pipe from limp-wristing, what you really have is a fancy single-shot.  Cause by the time you clear the jam (as a Newbie) in a gunfight, YOU'RE DEAD!  So consider that 686 the Gringo has 5 of...

Trying guns with different grip angles is important (you already have done so) on your journey of exploration.  Correcting stance (good shooting starts at the feet), learning trigger squeeze as Bully said with the penny trick dry-firing, and learning proper breathing technique all takes time.  These techniques are all transferable to nearly every hand gun, including a black powder hand gun, as you will learn on your journey.  The whole BS line about the ignition "being a surprise" is just that, BS!  Learn where in the trigger squeeze the sear breaks.  THEN you'll be able to make sure the front & rear sights are aligned at ignition.  It's like pool where you call your shots.

I don't sell guns or tell people what to buy, I tell them why certain model guns do some things better than others. 

All striker fired guns SUCK in that the human body wants to go low & left with a right handed shooter.  Don't touch the sights.  Learn how to NOT SUCK by overcoming the obstacle of the platform...

What a true home defense gun looks like doesn't matter.  Yours isn't "special".  There's a million of them out there in gun land.  IF you actually use it, it will reside in an evidence locker in a damp basement, rusting for time eternal.  So if it needs "meat" taken off of it (the frame for instance) to make it fit your hand, so be it.  If it needs grip tape or custom stippling (tupperware models) cause you have sweaty hands, so be it.  It's not a fashion accessory, it's a TOOL.  A tool that you'll never see again IF you actually USE it for what it's designed for. 

Go rent more guns.  See if you can make one ragged hole at 6 yards.  Then do it at 10 yards.  The photo is showing a complete Noob how to shoot at a Ladies Day at the Range I volunteer at.  There's no such thing as a 6 yard target.  We start at 10 (or more), and the Ladies have no problem hitting our Shoot-N-See's pasted to the silhouettes. 

Man doesn't live by Pastrami alone... and the best factory trigger on a striker fired gun is a Walther PPQ.  Clean, crisp, refreshing.  Just like a beer & a trigger sear should be :) 

If you desire more Special High Intensity Training (SHIT for short), look me up.  I'm a Match Director at Old Bridge for 20+ years.  I work for lunch :) 

Rosey

No photo description available.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

@antdre20 I am answering the page from @USRifle30Cal & @M4BGRINGO.  Both are friends.

I would have answered sooner but I was busy with the NJGF Clay Dusters at the Clinton, NJ WMA Range.

Some background:

I'm a Shootist.  Hand me a gun & tell me what you want SHOT.  Any platform.  Black Powder a specialty.

Bought my first hand gun in '77 as a straw purchase from my father AT THE GUN STORE COUNTER before the term was invented.

Tuesday I was hitting & ringing a steel man-sized torso target at 85 yards with my 4" .357 Combat Magnum S&W with the .38 wadcutters mentioned by USRifle30Cal.  Then I switched to my Springfield .45 auto 1911 and did the same.  Others used their customized Glocks, Sigs, etc. with some missing and some hitting. 

I don't own any tupperware (plastic) guns or a striker fired gun.  I stopped collecting about 20 years ago.  I already have what I need.

There is no ONE, perfect hand gun that's good for all situations.  Remember it's supposed to be a hand gun & not a HANDS GUN!  Meaning in a defensive situation if you can't fire it with at a minimum your strong hand ONLY (not using both hands) without causing a stove-pipe from limp-wristing, what you really have is a fancy single-shot.  Cause by the time you clear the jam (as a Newbie) in a gunfight, YOU'RE DEAD!  So consider that 686 the Gringo has 5 of...

Trying guns with different grip angles is important (you already have done so) on your journey of exploration.  Correcting stance (good shooting starts at the feet), learning trigger squeeze as Bully said with the penny trick dry-firing, and learning proper breathing technique all takes time.  These techniques are all transferable to nearly every hand gun, including a black powder hand gun, as you will learn on your journey.  The whole BS line about the ignition "being a surprise" is just that, BS!  Learn where in the trigger squeeze the sear breaks.  THEN you'll be able to make sure the front & rear sights are aligned at ignition.  It's like pool where you call your shots.

I don't sell guns or tell people what to buy, I tell them why certain model guns do some things better than others. 

All striker fired guns SUCK in that the human body wants to go low & left with a right handed shooter.  Don't touch the sights.  Learn how to NOT SUCK by overcoming the obstacle of the platform...

What a true home defense gun looks like doesn't matter.  Yours isn't "special".  There's a million of them out there in gun land.  IF you actually use it, it will reside in an evidence locker in a damp basement, rusting for time eternal.  So if it needs "meat" taken off of it (the frame for instance) to make it fit your hand, so be it.  If it needs grip tape or custom stippling (tupperware models) cause you have sweaty hands, so be it.  It's not a fashion accessory, it's a TOOL.  A tool that you'll never see again IF you actually USE it for what it's designed for. 

Go rent more guns.  See if you can make one ragged hole at 6 yards.  Then do it at 10 yards.  The photo is showing a complete Noob how to shoot at a Ladies Day at the Range I volunteer at.  There's no such thing as a 6 yard target.  We start at 10 (or more), and the Ladies have no problem hitting our Shoot-N-See's pasted to the silhouettes. 

Man doesn't live by Pastrami alone... and the best factory trigger on a striker fired gun is a Walther PPQ.  Clean, crisp, refreshing.  Just like a beer & a trigger sear should be :) 

If you desire more Special High Intensity Training (SHIT for short), look me up.  I'm a Match Director at Old Bridge for 20+ years.  I work for lunch :) 

Rosey

No photo description available.

thank you.....and ur not to far from me either maybe we can arrange 

• Agree 1

antdre20, take Rosey up on his offer, you will not regret it! One of the best natural shooters I have ever seen. I hate it when he out-shoots me with my own guns, just proves to me that the gun isn't the issue, it is ME! That's ok, I suck it up and listen to him to learn to do better. Go to one of his PPC events at OBRPC on a Friday Night at their indoor range, it is open to the public. You will learn a LOT from him, besides having a good time. If you don't have a gun yet, get in touch with him and let him know, he will bring some guns for you to use, just be a good guy and pay him for his ammo. I have met several shooters at OBRPC and CJ that I would certainly want to have standing beside if the shit ever hit the fan! My wife is one of them, don't piss her off, she shoots BETTER!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

antdre20, take Rosey up on his offer, you will not regret it! One of the best natural shooters I have ever seen. I hate it when he out-shoots me with my own guns, just proves to me that the gun isn't the issue, it is ME! That's ok, I suck it up and listen to him to learn to do better. Go to one of his PPC events at OBRPC on a Friday Night at their indoor range, it is open to the public. You will learn a LOT from him, besides having a good time. If you don't have a gun yet, get in touch with him and let him know, he will bring some guns for you to use, just be a good guy and pay him for his ammo. I have met several shooters at OBRPC and CJ that I would certainly want to have standing beside if the shit ever hit the fan! My wife is one of them, don't piss her off, she shoots BETTER!

definitely will have to do that 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:14 PM, antdre20 said:

I’m looking for something really simple and reliable and I feel like what I’ve read and seen makes me think they are 

I generally recomment a nice .357 revolver in a fourish inch barrel that you shoot 38s out of for a first time buyer / shooter.

If not into getting a revolver, you could certainly do worse than a Glock.  9mm isn't a bad round to learn on.  And if you cant afford or don't want several guns (lol, who am I kidding?  Who DOESN'T want lots of different guns!!) then a Glock makes sense.  Lots of support, parts are plentiful if you need to replace something, etc.

The CZ 75 SP01 is a sweet, sweet gun though.  

Good luck with what ever you purchase.  Be safe & have fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Great gun. Has a single action and double action trigger. Good for practicing long trifger pulls (which i havent mastered yet) and the single action trigger is awesome. 

5 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Great gun. Has a single action and double action trigger. Good for practicing long trifger pulls (which i havent mastered yet) and the single action trigger is awesome. 

first time like OP, go with revolver imho

next would be the cz p-01 

next would be the sig 320

not a glock fan, it's lke the iroc of the 80s in NJ.  Yes I had one...lol

smokin is right however, try as many as you can first

Ive been shooting a few different 9mm And I believe that’s what I’m going with. I’m locked in in a Glock 17 right. As everyone knows there aren’t many options out there right now everything! Is sold out or back ordered so. I like the Glock and it feels really good. And I feel confident with it. I’m not anywhere close to where I want to be but I’m not terrible neither. I have a lot to learn but at the same time I’m willing and continuesly research and reading up on things. So Glock 17 is on layaway and I will be grabbing it Tuesday when store opens  

• Like 2

I have a Beretta 92FS, it is actually the wives, a Dan Wesson PM9 (9mm 1911), and a Ruger PC9 which is a carbine. I did use a Glock17 a long long time ago and had two failure to ejects, that is when I learned what limp-wristing was. I didn't own any guns of my own at that point.

I'll say this, the 9mm 1911's are really nice to shoot. @Maksim let me and the wife shoot his years ago at OBRPC and we both liked it.

Congrats, I have four of them(43,26,19,34).  Great first choice. As was mentioned above, reliable, lots of support, mags plentiful and reasonably priced, etc.  Don’t forget to purchase extra mags.  There may come a day in the far away future where you may regret not having purchased extras. 

Now with your new gun purchased, learn all you can about it, safety, maintenance, and so on. Youtube is a great resource. Absolutely take a formal training class.

Now you can start saving up for the other fine firearms recommended above.  You WILL eventually own a variety of them.  E.g. I also own a Ruger GP100 38/357 revolver. 

Last but not least, join the 2A organizations that are fighting for your rights. NRA, SAF, ANJRPC, CNJFO,NJ2AS to name a few key ones.  There are powerful forces out there that are working to strip you of your right to own that Glock you just purchased.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, antdre20 said:

picked up my glock 17 the other day :yahoo:IMG_4586.HEICIMG_4585.HEIC

Congrats.

Great choice IMO.

My G17 is setup as the first pistol I would reach for if something goes "bump" in the night.  I have others that I would pick for other purposes (shooting matches, woods walking at my FIL's, carry (where allowed by law), etc) but I have lots of confidence in my scratched and ugly G17.

• Like 1