Yash

Questions about FFL's & buying from a website

So I just got my FID and i'm looking to purchase my first rifle but pretty much everywhere in NJ the rifle that i'm looking for is either out of stock or overpriced. I've been looking online and hoffgun.com has the NJ Compliant version of the rifle i'm looking for at a great price. It is my understanding that I need to ship it to an FFL and then pick it up. The range that I am planning on becoming a member of is Tactical Training Center in Flemington NJ who are also an FFL. What's the process like of doing this? Do I just email them saying I want to ship a rifle to them for pickup?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Yash said:

I'll try that. Thanks.

Remember, by the time you get the gun in hand from an online website you will have paid tax, shipping and transfer fees. Keep that in mind when it comes to pricing. Most people end up overpaying for guns in this state due to these fees. 

• Agree 2

Just now, JackDaWack said:

Remember, by the time you get the gun in hand from an online website you will have paid tax, shipping and transfer fees. Keep that in mind when it comes to pricing. Most people end up overpaying for guns in this state due to these fees. 

Yeah, I figured that out already. But there isn't much I can do about that.

1 minute ago, ogfarmer said:

whats TTC transfer fee rate?

Cheyenne Gunsmith and Firearms in Manville probably cheaper and probably could get the rifle for you. Robs prices are usually really good. and his customer service is great.

$50 for non-members and $30 for VIP members. I'm planning on getting the VIP anyways since it seems like the best value. Hoffgun.com is charging $20 to ship to an FFL.

40 minutes ago, kc17 said:

You could try doing a price request through this site also, you might get lucky. If you're on the desktop version > top of page > More > Gun Price Requests.

I'll check that out.

5 hours ago, Yash said:

$50 for non-members and $30 for VIP members. I'm planning on getting the VIP anyways since it seems like the best value. Hoffgun.com is charging $20 to ship to an FFL.

I'll check that out.

Does that include NICS or is NICS in addition to that?

What rifle are you looking for?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

18 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Does that include NICS or is NICS in addition to that?

What rifle are you looking for?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

uh, i'm not entirely sure. When I added to cart I didn't see anything about background checks or anything.

The rifle is a S&W M&P 15-22 Sport.

14 minutes ago, Yash said:

uh, i'm not entirely sure. When I added to cart I didn't see anything about background checks or anything.

Just set aside some extra cash to make that rifle NJ-compliant by the receiving FFL before the transfer to you. 

4 minutes ago, Old_Hunter said:

Just set aside some extra cash to make that rifle NJ-compliant by the receiving FFL before the transfer to you. 

The rifle is already advertised to be NJ compliant so I assume that shouldn't be an issue.

30 minutes ago, Yash said:

There wouldn't be from the selling dealer. The receiving dealer, here in NJ, that will be transferring the gun to you, is responsible for your NICS check. Some dealers break it out from the transfer fee, some include it. NICS is usually $15 - so if the transfer fee is $25 you will owe $40+$2.65 Tax.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

17 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

There wouldn't be from the selling dealer. The receiving dealer, here in NJ, that will be transferring the gun to you, is responsible for your NICS check. Some dealers break it out from the transfer fee, some include it. NICS is usually $15 - so if the transfer fee is $25 you will owe $40+$2.65 Tax.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TTC's website doesn't mention anything about NICS when on the Firearm Transfers page of their website.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, JackDaWack said:

Not all online sellers collect N.J. sales tax.

And before the latest panic many offered free shipping and much better prices than buying from most in-state LGS.    

On 6/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, Yash said:

So I just got my FID and i'm looking to purchase my first rifle but pretty much everywhere in NJ the rifle that i'm looking for is either out of stock or overpriced. I've been looking online and hoffgun.com has the NJ Compliant version of the rifle i'm looking for at a great price. It is my understanding that I need to ship it to an FFL and then pick it up. The range that I am planning on becoming a member of is Tactical Training Center in Flemington NJ who are also an FFL. What's the process like of doing this? Do I just email them saying I want to ship a rifle to them for pickup?

Thanks.

I've only ever bought online. Most places offer either FREE shipping, or a i fixed price which is also pretty cheap. You won't pay any tax either, so that's a big savings. My FFL in Union NJ charges $35 for the transfer, so it's a great way to go. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

I've only ever bought online. Most places offer either FREE shipping, or a i fixed price which is also pretty cheap. You won't pay any tax either, so that's a big savings. My FFL in Union NJ charges $35 for the transfer, so it's a great way to go. Good luck!

You may not have to pay the tax now,  but you are still responsible to pay the tax.  It's called a use tax.

13 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

You may not have to pay the tax now,  but you are still responsible to pay the tax.  It's called a use tax.

Really? I never knew this. How do "they" know? I mean every time I've bought something online from an out-of-state website (as long as they don't have a presence in NJ), I've never paid sales tax nor a "use tax".

2 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

Really? I never knew this. How do "they" know? I mean every time I've bought something online from an out-of-state website (as long as they don't have a presence in NJ), I've never paid sales tax nor a "use tax".

Do you file NJ state taxes every year? do you lie on them when you didn't pay tax on a out of state purchase? 

WHO collects the tax isn't much the point, by law you always pay sales tax regardless. 

3 hours ago, Zeus2112 said:

Well, you've got two people right here, so far, lecturing you,

N.J. Division of Taxation needs all the help they can get.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Yash said:

The rifle is already advertised to be NJ compliant so I assume that shouldn't be an issue.

I am a little bit confused. So the 10-round limit does not apply to the .22 caliber? So that makes the M&P 15-22 with 25-round mag NJ complaint?

4 minutes ago, Antonio5 said:

I am a little bit confused. So the 10-round limit does not apply to the .22 caliber? So that makes the M&P 15-22 with 25-round mag NJ complaint?

Yes, the 10-round limit does apply to .22's. If the rifle you ordered said that it was NJ compliant, then it will come with 10-round magazines.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Sad 1

On 6/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, Yash said:

Thanks.

Did you ever got to order the rifle? I was checking on the website and they are all sold out.