JohnnyB

Anyone use Large Magnum Pistol primers for .45acp?

I went to Cabela's in Delaware today and found they are basically out of powder, primers, bullets and guns! Not a single AR15 magazine either! Anyway, I was able to grab the last 500 large MAGNUM pistol primers they had. They had no standard large pistol primers!  I am using Clays for the powder and the 200gr SWCs for the bullets. The powder range is 3.9 grains to start and 4.3 grains max load.

I have read all I could find on a Google search of the subject and the opinions run from you will blow up your gun to reduce the powder load to compensate for the extra pressure and longer burn time of the magnum primer to just use them and load to a mid range load but never max load with a magnum primer.

Can someone here shed some more light on this.... @njJoniGuy?

Thanks!:scratchhead:

I've never loaded anything with LARGE Pistol Magnum primers.

I use SMALL magnums with my hot .357 mag loads and the only large pistol standard primers I use are for .45acp and 10mm

Rule of thumb is to reduce your powder charge by 0.5 gr when using magnum primers.

Start low and watch for overpressure signs as you increase your powder charge.

I don't use Clays, but 3.9 to 4.3 gr is a pretty narrow range.

BE CAREFUL JOHNNY!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

What 45acp are you loading for?

Is it properly sprung?

I don't understand what you mean by "what 45acp" or the word "sprung" in this context. I am loading range and once fired brass for use in my Springfield stainless "loaded" 1911.

He's asking what gun will it be shot in --you answered

Sprung means have you put any lighter springs in the gun so it will function with lighter loads -- Is the gun factory sprung? 

Factory springs should handle the potentially higher power loads you will have -- If you have powder puff springs in the gun you should go back to the factory standard springs so you don't beat the crap out of your frame and slide

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

He's asking what gun will it be shot in --you answered

Sprung means have you put any lighter springs in the gun so it will function with lighter loads -- Is the gun factory sprung? 

Factory springs should handle the potentially higher power loads you will have -- If you have powder puff springs in the gun you should go back to the factory standard springs so you don't beat the crap out of your frame and slide

Thanks!  I have not altered that pistol in any way.  The trigger is wonderful from the factory, I would never mess with it!:)

4 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Not trigger springs — recoil spring and mainspring — sounds like you didn’t touch either of them

Everything that @Heavyopp said.

Start at a beginning load and looks for pressure signs....

All the springs in a 1911 make it run right....recoil, firing pin and hammer..and don't forget the trigger return grip safety etc...all need to be tuned right.

Change the recoil spring....you gotta change the hammer spring..etc...

The biggest issue you have is the narrow window of loads available prior to max...

Is your measuring equip spot on?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

Did you find the large pistol primers? I have a full box in my closet. Looks like I am in the same county as you.

Thank you but I stopped at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters in Bordentown and they had tons of CCI large pistol primers.