70gto

What 9mm loads for competition

I don't do three gun, just USPSA & IDPA. I prefer American Eagle as it's clean and doesn't give me trouble. I used to get 147, then switched to 124 due to price and availability. I'm not good enough that the ammo will make that much of a difference.

I'm just beginning the process of reloading.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Typically the heavier, slower bullet will give the softest felt recoil impulse. This usually makes it easier to get back on your sights for the next shot.

I agree, the 147s felt slightly softer recoil to me at least

44 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Typically the heavier, slower bullet will give the softest felt recoil impulse. This usually makes it easier to get back on your sights for the next shot.

Yep, I shoot 147 gr reloads for exactly that reason.   Quicker splits.  Especially in events with no power factor floor, where you can load very light.

On 6/28/2020 at 2:53 PM, 70gto said:

Just doing research,  Im looking into 3 gun comp, with glock 34. I normally shoot 147 gr 9mm, what are you guys shooting for the folks that compete?

I'll give this advice with the risk of knowing that these other guys have more competition experience than me, but I think they will generally agree:

Starting out, your loads are really not going to make a difference and that is a refinement for later.  You will initially be slowed down by your stage planning (what to shoot in what order, when to reload), foot work (safely and quickly getting from point to point), target acquisition, firearm transition, and reloading speed (especially shotgun).  Focus on those things first, and as you gain experience you will figure out what hardware you need to change.

• Like 1

147 @ ~880 FPS.  You could slow it down even more as there's no minimum power factor for 3-gun but at major matches you could be faced with ~100 yard pistol targets and I didn't want to be sending rounds like a mortar :p it's not like you're going to gain much more by going as low as reliably possible.

It's super flat shooting as you can see in the photo

bull shadow3.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tomk62 said:

I'll give this advice with the risk of knowing that these other guys have more competition experience than me, but I think they will generally agree:

Starting out, your loads are really not going to make a difference and that is a refinement for later.  You will initially be slowed down by your stage planning (what to shoot in what order, when to reload), foot work (safely and quickly getting from point to point), target acquisition, firearm transition, and reloading speed (especially shotgun).  Focus on those things first, and as you gain experience you will figure out what hardware you need to change.

Makes total sense to me. Thanks.

Currently I reload and am trying out the 130gn RN from Ibeji.  Seems to work ok.  

My buddy that doesn't reload uses Freedom Munitions and loves it.  I think he's running 124 and has no issue.  He's a lot faster than me (which isn't saying much).  It's inexpensive and functions well in his pistol, a CZ Shadow.  

Good luck.

I’ve loaded everything from 115 grn to 147 grn all using Ibeji heads — the difference in recoil is so minimal that it’s hard to notice — all fired from single stack 1911’s 

the post above is more spot on for starting out — your ammo won’t matter — stage execution will be the biggest challenge you face for quite awhile

• Like 1

I went ahead and ordered 147's will load few up and chrono. might take me few weeks to post back busy season.

Also going to make a load for the 9mm carbine ill post that one up also. look in reloading section for post.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=2d0656c0d836cfce37e2b21363834e4b

3 hours ago, tony357 said:

I went ahead and ordered 147's will load few up and chrono. might take me few weeks to post back busy season.

Also going to make a load for the 9mm carbine ill post that one up also. look in reloading section for post.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=2d0656c0d836cfce37e2b21363834e4b

Do you order right from the website, use the email, or call?

I’ve had an email in to Alex for over a week, heard nothing

If using the website, how fast does stuff get shipped

I’m trying to order by email, this way I can pick up my order and save the shipping costs

12 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Do you order right from the website, use the email, or call?

I’ve had an email in to Alex for over a week, heard nothing

If using the website, how fast does stuff get shipped

I’m trying to order by email, this way I can pick up my order and save the shipping costs

yes I order right from website, shipping is included in the price go to their shipping link on the website. If what your looking for is not in stock check other colors. usually 3 to 5 days if in stock.

For 3 gun if you don't reload, bulk pack 115gr is usually fine. 

There are usually 2 basic formulas for 9mm minor though. 

1) 124 running fairly hot.

2) 147 running as slow as you can get away with. 

2 used to be the hotness, but 1 has edged it out in recent years due to a combo of factors. First 124gr bullets moving fast tend to be most accurate for most/more guns. Second since you are usually aiming well above 125 power factor it helps you not get fucked by heavy set poppers and it is much safer of you get chronoed in uspsa.  Then there's cost and volume. Coated 124 heads are cheap. More cheap means more practice. 

Then there is the practical. For me in my legion, there most accurate has been 124gr fmj at 137pf. It's old s&b nato pressure bulk 9. It's basically 1100 fps. That's basically what 124gr self defense loads are doing. I'm not going to go all tactical larping with practice like you fight and stuff, but having done 3 man shoots where you get stuck shooting each other's gear sometimes, the folks shooting the 124.5 pf loads had a sizeable fall off in performance even when the platform was the same vs 150+pf.40.

On a personal preference level, just over minor 147 is way too slow and chuggy for me. I probably don't actually have to wait on it cycling, but I can perceive more of the cycling process and it feels like I'm waiting on it. Which, historically, does not improve my performance. Your mileage may be different.

I've run cocktail mags of 115, 124, and 147gr factory ammo and to be frank, while there was maaaaaaybe some variation, it was not enough to make a big enough difference to me. Grip technique will matter far far more. I just use what I can get my hands on for cheap.

• Agree 1