panteramatt

Healthcare system is a joke!

Ive battled pain in my back for years but I never go to the dr for anything. Well my lower disc ruptured and I have sciatica now so surgery is required. Just for a consultation cost ME $700! MRI $600! Other tests $1000 and I havent even had my surgery yet! Blows my mind how much employers and employees have pay every check and it dont cover squat! Our healthcare is one of the biggest scams! Anyone else run into this? I just dont understand how they expect you to afford to get healthy. 

37 minutes ago, panteramatt said:

Ive battled pain in my back for years but I never go to the dr for anything. Well my lower disc ruptured and I have sciatica now so surgery is required. Just for a consultation cost ME $700! MRI $600! Other tests $1000 and I havent even had my surgery yet! Blows my mind how much employers and employees have pay every check and it dont cover squat! Our healthcare is one of the biggest scams! Anyone else run into this? I just dont understand how they expect you to afford to get healthy. 

It sucks man i feel your pain. Litterally. I broke my bottom vertebrate but did not have health insurance so I did not go to the DR so when it healed it fused to my pelvis on the left side. A few years later I herniated the 2 disc's above the vertebrate that I broke. Luckily when I blew out the disc's it was at work so workman's comp took care of it. After 1 year of PT 3 times a week and 3 sets of epidural shots I ended up with a 5.5 hour surgery. The cost of the surgery was insane and I was only in the hospital for 24 hours. 

With that said though I was a miserable prick when I had the sciatica and did not realize how bad it was until about 1 month after the surgery when one day I woke up without the sciatica. I didn't realize how bad it was until it was gone. My back is still fucked and hurts from time to time but the permanent sciatica is gone and I'm 95% back to doing everything I used to do before I destroyed it. 

Yea sciaitica sucks man. My whole right side is pins and needles. Ive been out of work since late march since I tried different was of getting better but the mri showed how bad it is. Just sucks cause its digging into my new house funds Ive been saving up for a long time

Good luck man! It really sucks, when mine would flare up really bad I would experience mild paralysis in my left leg and would end up dragging it as I walked. 

FWIW the DR who did my surgery was Dr. David Lamb of the Princeton neck and back institute. He's one of the best back surgeons in the country and he is also pro 2A. I highly recommend him if you want a second opinion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, panteramatt said:

Yea sciaitica sucks man. My whole right side is pins and needles. Ive been out of work since late march since I tried different was of getting better but the mri showed how bad it is. Just sucks cause its digging into my new house funds Ive been saving up for a long time

But if you were Hispanic it would all be done for free! I blew-up at Robert Wood Johnson one day when taking my daughter in for surgery. They DEMANDED a credit card to cover the deductible which we knew nothing about until that day. I looked around at all the fucking illegals and asked who the fuck was paying for THEIR surgeries! Yeah, I was real popular that day, screw them! Democraps just handing out all of our tax dollars and we get shit upon, what a system! Good luck with your troubles.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

But if you were Hispanic it would all be done for free! I blew-up at Robert Wood Johnson one day when taking my daughter in for surgery. They DEMANDED a credit card to cover the deductible which we knew nothing about until that day. I looked around at all the fucking illegals and asked who the fuck was paying for THEIR surgeries! Yeah, I was real popular that day, screw them! Democraps just handing out all of our tax dollars and we get shit upon, what a system! Good luck with your troubles.

Work harder millions on welfare depend on you!

The prices the system charges are arbitrary and highly inflated, basically made up.  This is done so when the insurance executives negotiate a lower price, they can now tell their subscribers "look how much money we saved!"

When I changed jobs and picked up my cobra payments it was over $1600 per month to insure my family.  So nearly $20,000 a year just to be healthy and never use the system - how does that make any sense?

31 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Beer and Tylenol and get a teeter hang ups. And more beer and Tylenol 

Noooooo.    Beer and Advil.  Or just Advil.  Or just beer.

Alcohol and Tylenol are really hard on the liver--not a good combination at all.

• Agree 3

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

Noooooo.    Beer and Advil.  Or just Advil.  Or just beer.

Alcohol and Tylenol are really hard on the liver--not a good combination at all.

Stop being a peeter puffer. And Tylenol is a generic. Jeebus you guys get wrapped up in the stupidest shit 

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Stop being a peeter puffer. And Tylenol is a generic. Jeebus you guys get wrapped up in the stupidest shit 

Well, yeah...but seriously, acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) is the #1 cause of acute liver failure in the US.   It has passed both hepatitis C and alcohol abuse in that regard-although as noted, alcohol and acetaminophen are a particularly bad combination.

Read and follow label directions, as they say, and you should be fine, but don't equate 'over the counter' with 'totally safe'.  Overuse it, and it'll mess you up.

Public service rant off/

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • FacePalm 1

7 minutes ago, 10X said:

Well, yeah...but seriously, acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) is the #1 cause of acute liver failure in the US.   It has passed both hepatitis C and alcohol abuse in that regard-although as noted, alcohol and acetaminophen are a particularly bad combination.

Read and follow label directions, as they say, and you should be fine, but don't equate 'over the counter' with 'totally safe'.  Overuse it, and it'll mess you up.

Public service rant off/

Jeebus you are AVB lite

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2020 at 10:41 PM, M4BGRINGO said:

I have elderly hispanic relatives that are naturalized AMERICAN citizens and that worked hard their whole lives and never asked ANYONE for ANYTHING and never got anything for free.  They worked 10-14 hour days for largely no more than minimum wage.   I'd venture to say that they have less healthcare options than you, and they have less resources to get that care.  When they can actually afford the care, they have their credit cards out, too.    So check yourself.

The Statists, lawyers,   crony capitalists, administrators, insurance companies, and lobbyists have largely screwed up the healthcare field, as well as the astronomical fees of higher education needed for healthcare providers.  

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

I have elderly hispanic relatives that are naturalized AMERICAN citizens and that worked hard their whole lives and never asked ANYONE for ANYTHING and never got anything for free.  They worked 10-14 hour days for largely no more than minimum wage.   I'd venture to say that they have less healthcare options than you, and they have less resources to get that care.  When they can actually afford the care, they have their credit cards out, too.    So check yourself.

I can agree with you. 

Our health care system is a joke. However the racism and ignorance of some members is another insight into how lousy parenting is still rampant. I know if my child was having surgery, especially if it was a planned procedure, I wouldn’t show up at the hospital with my head up my culo.  

As for the OP, I feel for your situation. Spinal surgery should be a last resort after exhausting other methods to rid yourself of back pain. Whether you’re getting a laminotomy or laminectomy, you will have a long road to recovery. Depending on your coverage you’ll be allotted only so much rehab time. Once that’s over I would think finding a dedicated program like yoga (or some other trunk strengthening regimen) would be in your best interest. I would also suggest speaking to your rehab team about TENS / ESTIM to alleviate the pain, promote tissue growth and avoid dependence on prescription pain meds. Best of luck. 

4 minutes ago, Zabuca said:

I can agree with you. 

Our health care system is a joke. However the racism and ignorance of some members is another insight into how lousy parenting is still rampant. I know if my child was having surgery, especially if it was a planned procedure, I wouldn’t show up at the hospital with my head up my culo.  

As for the OP, I feel for your situation. Spinal surgery should be a last resort after exhausting other methods to rid yourself of back pain. Whether you’re getting a laminotomy or laminectomy, you will have a long road to recovery. Depending on your coverage you’ll be allotted only so much rehab time. Once that’s over I would think finding a dedicated program like yoga (or some other trunk strengthening regimen) would be in your best interest. I would also suggest speaking to your rehab team about TENS / ESTIM to alleviate the pain, promote tissue growth and avoid dependence on prescription pain meds. Best of luck. 

Thanx Zabuca. Ive suffered from lower back pain forever and have arthritus in both knees and Im a mechanic so its only going to get worse. I dont depend on pain meds at all and I dont have an addictive personality so it dont scare me. And I agree I will need to strenthen my lower body when this is done and I have a good tens unit. I tried not to get the surgury but the mri showed its too far gone not to

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

The Statists, lawyers,   crony capitalists, administrators, insurance companies, and lobbyists have largely screwed up the healthcare field, as well as the astronomical fees of higher education needed for healthcare providers.  

Good for them if they became Naturalized Citizens. I bet they have the same choice of healthcare as I do. 

How about all the ILLEGALS that are here sucking off our system that never paid a damn penny into it, you good with them? I AM NOT!

They are bleeding this country dry! And the Dems just want them to keep coming because SOMEHOW these ILLEGALS are allowed to vote, that is against our laws! But maybe you don't care.

Call me a racist, bigot, whatever the fuck you want to, I don't give a shit! I have friends on here that know me, know I am pretty level-headed, but I also HATE the direction this country is headed!

Wanna vote, become an American Citizen! Want to drive a car LEGALLY? Become an American Citizen!

I have friends that came here illegally but put in the time/effort/money to become legal citizens!

I have nothing against race/nationalities/skin color/sexual preferences. I do have an issue with illegals in this country collecting welfare, getting free schooling, free healthcare, having babies that are now Legal American Citizens simply because they were born here. It's gotta stop before each state supporting this is flat broke!

• Like 2

Hey Mods, if you wanna strike my comments from here that is fine. They probably belong in the 1st Amendment Lounge, this may not be the place for them. Sorry I went off on my soapbox here.

Hey, we are on this forum to support the 2A and our hobby/passion! I will leave the political BS elsewhere, sorry for the rant!

Get out to the range, introduce newbies to this wonderful sport/hobby/passion of ours, and teach them SAFETY FIRST!

10 hours ago, panteramatt said:

Thanx Zabuca. Ive suffered from lower back pain forever and have arthritus in both knees and Im a mechanic so its only going to get worse. I dont depend on pain meds at all and I dont have an addictive personality so it dont scare me. And I agree I will need to strenthen my lower body when this is done and I have a good tens unit. I tried not to get the surgury but the mri showed its too far gone not to

I just do the same routine I did in PT for core strengthening every morning, I'm at the point now if I don't do my PT I feel like I'm forgetting something. 

3 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

blame the attorneys as they've driven up the costs due to lawsuits. 

They can take some of the blame. But there are also a lot of scummy doctors that gamed the system for a long time and lived like royalty. Dealing with them caused an immense proliferation of regulations and paperwork.

Biggest problem today is the corporatization of healthcare (and education, as well). MBAs run everything now, and they don't really care if you die. They just want fancy, shiny facilities.