revenger

car AC recharge

Has anyone ever used those cans of freon available at stores to charge your cars AC

any brand name recommendations ,   doing this on a 2006 toyota ,  dont want to soend a million.

system currently works,  just not cold enough.     dealer told me 2-3 years ago might be a tiny leak.

thanks  

I used one from Advance auto parts.  worked pretty well for the price.  All the brands are pretty much the same r134 stuff.  The only difference is that the $40 can has the screw on hose, whereas the $8 can doesn't.  Not sure how those actually connect to the feeder valve.

I use AC Pro by Interdynamics. It is a large black can, got mine form Amazon, about $40 or so. Has a gauge on it. It took very little to get one car from blowing cool to blowing cold. The other car took about half a can, but it is good now. I have to do this once a year until I find the leak and see if I want to fix it. But for $40 a year for two cars, I can live with that!

11 hours ago, revenger said:

Has anyone ever used those cans of freon available at stores to charge your cars AC

any brand name recommendations ,   doing this on a 2006 toyota ,  dont want to soend a million.

system currently works,  just not cold enough.     dealer told me 2-3 years ago might be a tiny leak.

thanks  

you can do this, but there's little idiosyncrasies. first off....r134 works TONS better than r12.....and so far it seems better than the new r123hf. it is sensitive to temp/humidity though. you pretty much need to see the pressures. I helped johnnyb out yesterday. on an 87degree day with about 78% humidity, his pressures were about 48psi and 145psi low and high respectively. those were just a hair low, and the vent outlet temp was about 64 or 65 degrees. I added a couple ounces, brought the pressures to about 51/155 and dropped the vent temp into the lower 50's I think it was. 

if you overcharge these systems even just a few ounces, they'll start to get warmer. overcharge too much, and your high side will get high enough to pop the blowoff valve. 

if you use one of the small cans, hook it to the system, open the valve, let it go for just a couple seconds, then close the valve and give it about a minute to see what the vent outlet temp drops to. repeat and rinse. just add tiny amounts each time so you don't overcharge. 

11 hours ago, AlDente99 said:

I used one from Advance auto parts.  worked pretty well for the price.  All the brands are pretty much the same r134 stuff.  The only difference is that the $40 can has the screw on hose, whereas the $8 can doesn't.  Not sure how those actually connect to the feeder valve.

the ones that come without the hose, you need to buy a hose assembly to tap into the can with

• Thanks 1