always_an_eagle

I have now seen the light, and need your help. Time to get into reloading, and am a noob.

I am just looking at some ammo prices online and holy cow, stuff has sky rocketed. I want to get into reloading now, I know bad timing, but I don't know really know how to get into it. I know I want to reload rifle rounds (30-06, 223. I already been saving my 30-06 brass) and pistol rounds (38 special for now since I can save my brass pretty easily but eventually want to reload for the common 3 semi auto rounds 9mm, 40 s&w and 45 acp. Heck I don't even have a 45 yet but eventually I will!)  What resources should I look into and good beginner presses and dies should I look into also?

IMO go buy a reloading book. ABC's of reloading, Lyman, Hornady ect.

Buy a single stage press. Breech lock is a little easier changing dies than the standard screw in press.

Look on line for "reloading kit" it will have all the hardware needed to start reloading. The exception to that is the dies neccessary for the brass will have to be purchased separately. 

Least expensive would be Lee Precision, Lee Reloading 2nd Edition is an excellent book to learn with Lee equipment. 

Look online for beginner reloading ect. Plenty of resources out there to gain an understanding of what's needed to get started.

• Like 1

Apparently "all" reloading hardware is not sold out. Just gotta look around.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=LE&i=90030

They also have a Hornady single stage kit that is almost $400 more than the Lee kit. The only difference is the Lee doesn't come with a reloading book.

Weather you spend  $3000 for a Mark 7 press or $50 Lee press. The one thing they will have in common, is in the end both will make ammo that goes bang.

• Like 1

Make sure to search Craigslist and e-Bay for "local" people selling their stuff.  Saw these today:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/d/boonton-reloading/7149850366.html

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/spo/d/essex-fells-dillon-precision-650xl/7136886841.html

I would recommend starting with pistol calibers.  They are much easier to learn the basics of reloading on.

No need for length trimming, lubing etc.

Also MUCH less force required to resize a 9 vs a 3006.  So it is easier to "get a feel" foe when something is wrong.

When reloading if something doesn't seem right, stop and triple check your setup.  Reloading is not hard, but if you make a mistake, very bad things can happen.

• Like 2

I have reloaded 40 S&W and 5.56... but not a ton of either.. I want to get into 9mm now but I have to get some supplies.. what I can tell you from a novice perspective.. since you are new to it.. 5.56 definitely had me a little more on the nervous side... 40 on the other hand after a few batches I could do no problem.. I would follow the advice of others and actually start with pistol.. I found pistol to be really easy to reload.. just some insight from someone without a ton of experience.. 

I dont shoot 40 anymore.. so I actually have some 40 stuff I would let go cheap.. bullets.. dies.. brass.. etc. its just sitting stored in the closet at the moment.. so when you are ready.. message me.. and I will see if we can get some kind of deal working..

@vladtepes

If he does not take it, I would much appreciate a shot at it!  I have a ton of .40 cal brass but no dies, heads, primers or powder. I do have the stuff for .45, 9mm etc. I just got back into reloading after a 20 year hiatus. I have reloaded tons of .223, .357 magnum and .44 magnum and I have yet to blow up myself or any gun!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I have reloaded 40 S&W and 5.56... but not a ton of either.. I want to get into 9mm now but I have to get some supplies.. what I can tell you from a novice perspective.. since you are new to it.. 5.56 definitely had me a little more on the nervous side... 40 on the other hand after a few batches I could do no problem.. I would follow the advice of others and actually start with pistol.. I found pistol to be really easy to reload.. just some insight from someone without a ton of experience.. 

I dont shoot 40 anymore.. so I actually have some 40 stuff I would let go cheap.. bullets.. dies.. brass.. etc. its just sitting stored in the closet at the moment.. so when you are ready.. message me.. and I will see if we can get some kind of deal working..

I am gonna send ya a pm

24 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

@vladtepes

If he does not take it, I would much appreciate a shot at it!  I have a ton of .40 cal brass but no dies, heads, primers or powder. I do have the stuff for .45, 9mm etc. I just got back into reloading after a 20 year hiatus. I have reloaded tons of .223, .357 magnum and .44 magnum and I have yet to blow up myself or any gun!:lol:

seconds noted... LOL 

• Thanks 1