always_an_eagle

Single stage reloading press

As the title states, if anyone has a single stage reloading press used for sale, let me know. Also if you got some extra reloading equipment like dies for a 30-06 or 38 special, let me know. I want to get into reloading.

44 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

@Mrs. Peel  i think the OP's threads need to be merged...

You should NOT start with rifle ammo as a new reloader....especially for a semi auto rifle...

Perhaps...but .38 Special (his other choice) is probably the easiest caliber to reload, and an excellent choice to get started in reloading.

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

You should NOT start with rifle ammo as a new reloader....especially for a semi auto rifle...

This sounds a bit extreme.  Following proper reloading procedures and taking your time will prevent issues, this is especially true considering that the OP is talking about using a single stage press.  All issues I have encountered have been using my progressive presses and making ammo in quantity. He will be fine if he takes his time and pays attention regardless of caliber chosen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I don't have a semi auto for my 30-06 rifle, its a pump action rifle.

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

Perhaps...but .38 Special (his other choice) is probably the easiest caliber to reload, and an excellent choice to get started in reloading.

Agreed especially if being fired in a 357

2 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

This sounds a bit extreme.  Following proper reloading procedures and taking your time will prevent issues, this is especially true considering that the OP is talking about using a single stage press.  All issues I have encountered have been using my progressive presses and making ammo in quantity. He will be fine if he takes his time and pays attention regardless of caliber chosen.

Too many variables for a newbie...

1 hour ago, always_an_eagle said:

Which rifle?

@JC_68Westy  on your turf...or passing through..  :)

rps20200706_102930.jpg

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Agreed especially if being fired in a 357

Too many variables for a newbie...

Which rifle?

@JC_68Westy  on your turf...or passing through..  :)

rps20200706_102930.jpg

I am up at the northern end, very close to the north entrance to Skyline. We just hiked their on Friday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, always_an_eagle said:

Like a Remington 760? Opinions differ, but I've seen it suggested that it is advisable to use "small-base" dies for both auto-loaders and pumps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

If 30-06 is gonna be a little tough to reload, I will definitely take my time to learn to reload 38 special. It is just that I save my brass with my 30-06 since I got my rifle. Those hunting loads may be available but they can get pricy. 

I haven't saved my brass yet for 38 special since I have not shot my model ten yet. But I will be saving my brass up.

15 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

If 30-06 is gonna be a little tough to reload, I will definitely take my time to learn to reload 38 special. It is just that I save my brass with my 30-06 since I got my rifle. Those hunting loads may be available but they can get pricy. 

I haven't saved my brass yet for 38 special since I have not shot my model ten yet. But I will be saving my brass up.

I find 30-06 very easy to load, especially on a single stage press.  The reloading process is methodical. Follow the steps and you will be fine.  As a matter of fact I have used an old Lee Loader (no press at all) I bought at a yard sale for $5 just to see if it would work work. It worked fine.

• Like 1

Rifle isn't more difficult, just more involved. 

You have to worry about lubing the cases to prevent them from getting stuck, and trimming them to correct lengths when needed. 

I started with 9mm, but moving to .223 wasn't anything crazy difficult. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

I have a remington 7600 carbine, made in the 1980s.

760s are hard on brass....  damhik

They 'like' fresh brass....  

9 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

Its not tough per se...there are nuances....nuances that you need to know to be safe....items that you learn as part of steps...

Ok so start with 38 special...a d in a model 10...good strong k frame....

I have 38 brass up the yin yang....  i 'may' have a second set of 38 sp dies....  i have powder, primers, heads (wc's)...and a nice single stage press...

I can outfit you for 200 plus rounds easy to start with....  but 1k primers...etc...

I am in SC now visiting my daughter..when I get back i will send pics....

The good news.....it will be a very very fair price...BUT you gotta come up to Vernon to get it....  your call...if you want to...  :)

its a lyman Spartan single stage...i believe i have every part for it...i gotta check...

1000 small pistol.primers

250-300 38 special cases

i have a pound  of win231..or autocomp for ya...

might have the dies...hmmm....maybe not..bet on NOT...

You come get it all....gimme...say 50 bucks...i need a new mold for my victory revolver...lemme know...!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

760s are hard on brass....  damhik

They 'like' fresh brass....  

Its not tough per se...there are nuances....nuances that you need to know to be safe....items that you learn as part of steps...

Ok so start with 38 special...a d in a model 10...good strong k frame....

I have 38 brass up the yin yang....  i 'may' have a second set of 38 sp dies....  i have powder, primers, heads (wc's)...and a nice single stage press...

I can outfit you for 200 plus rounds easy to start with....  but 1k primers...etc...

I am in SC now visiting my daughter..when I get back i will send pics....

The good news.....it will be a very very fair price...BUT you gotta come up to Vernon to get it....  your call...if you want to...  :)

its a lyman Spartan single stage...i believe i have every part for it...i gotta check...

1000 small pistol.primers

250-300 38 special cases

i have a pound  of win231..or autocomp for ya...

might have the dies...hmmm....maybe not..bet on NOT...

You come get it all....gimme...say 50 bucks...i need a new mold for my victory revolver...lemme know...!!!

I am very interested! I am going to PM you my number so we can get something set up!

• Like 2

I've got an extra powder measure, reloading scale (analog), and I think a case prep station for trimming and deburring brass (you won't need that for the 38, might find it useful for 30-06).   If you're interested, I'll dig out what I've got; I'd offer it fairly cheaply.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:43 AM, always_an_eagle said:

I started with a Lee Loader in a 60's era 760 carbine. Switched to a Rockchucker and standard RCBS dies in the 70's. I've used this present combo with success for years. These pump action's are surprisingly accurate. 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

I started with a Lee Loader in a 60's era 760 carbine. Switched to a Rockchucker and standard RCBS dies in the 70's. I've used this present combo with success for years. These pump action's are surprisingly accurate. 

I have a 760 bdl deluxe in .30-06 and a Remington Model 6 in .270 and they are the most accurate hunting rifles I own.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have a 760 bdl deluxe in .30-06 and a Remington Model 6 in .270 and they are the most accurate hunting rifles I own.

I really like my 7600, definitely something different than a typical bolt gun in the woods.  Here is mine on my first trip in the woods, 2019 rifle season in Vermont. Didn't get a deer but it was still fun regardless. 

20191117_132839.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 10X said:

I've got an extra powder measure, reloading scale (analog), and I think a case prep station for trimming and deburring brass (you won't need that for the 38, might find it useful for 30-06).   If you're interested, I'll dig out what I've got; I'd offer it fairly cheaply.

Gonna send ya a private message! Definitely interested

On 7/7/2020 at 9:42 PM, always_an_eagle said:

Gonna send ya a private message! Definitely interested

Reply sent, to the gmail address.

• Like 1

It's virtually a gift.  Go for it any questions you can post up in the reloading section.  Plenty of people with years and years and years of experience.