kc17

Black powder substitute for practice dummy rounds

1 hour ago, Greenday said:

If the minimum load is 4, why would you start at 3.8? Undercharging is how you get a squib.

As Scorpio said, just get a set of test weights. Actually, everyone should have a set of test weights. I check before I start, halfway through, and at the end. If the halfway point passes but the end fails, you only have to pull the 2nd half since you can't know when after the midway test your calibration went bad.

But everyone has a different min and max so you kinda have to average it out.  That is why you need more than one source of load data.  Some of the differences are quite extreme.  I personally would never load anything below min without checking all of my sources first.  People alot smarter than all of us figured this all out already.;)

3 hours ago, Greenday said:

If the minimum load is 4, why would you start at 3.8? Undercharging is how you get a squib.

As Scorpio said, just get a set of test weights. Actually, everyone should have a set of test weights. I check before I start, halfway through, and at the end. If the halfway point passes but the end fails, you only have to pull the 2nd half since you can't know when after the midway test your calibration went bad.

Digital scales suck 

you aren't gonna get a squib at .2 under -- Test weights, you know how much real test weights cost?

Yes I have calibration weights for my scale, And I trust my scale -- been using it for a couple of decades -- I actually have 3 scales, all of them read the same exact charge differently so when I say I trust my scale I trust the load that reads 4.3 grns is safe for me -- Is it really 4.3 grns of powder, Hell if I know but I do know that I worked my way to that weight on that scale -- If I switch scales I'll start low and work my way up again

I would never trust anyone else's data right from the start -- Who knows it their scale is right -- I'll listen, but work my way to your load my way

This shit we buy isn't scientific quality -- your really gonna bet your hand on a $39 scale from amazon? 

I'll start low and work up ALWAYS -- been doing it that way for 30 years -- never a single failure, not even a close call

Do as you wish. 

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

Digital scales suck 

some digital scales suck -- I have a Digital RCBS scale, Made by Pact, Made in the USA, and its old -- That thing is dead balls reliable, consistent, I trust my life to it 

I also use the same powder tray -- 199.6 grns before I hit the tare button -- It's been the same weight for 25 years -- If that number is off then It's time to calibrate

If it ever fails, I have no idea what I will do to replace it -- But I will work up my loads again on the replacement scale

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

Digital scales suck 

Correction: Cheap digital scales suck.

12 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

This shit we buy isn't scientific quality -- your really gonna bet your hand on a $39 scale from amazon?

You get what you pay for. But my 50g weights for my RCBS Chargemaster are indeed 50.0g. I like that it does a 3 point calibration. I confirm it with a second set of standard weights I have.

But yea, those tiny little pocket digital scales are garbage.

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Sounds like you have a winner @Heavyoppand I wouldn’t question that. I will continue to use my trusty old RCBS 505 made in USA by Ohaus. Simple and dead accurate every time. 

I just looked up pictures of the 505 — I have that scale too — not sure if its ohaus— did rcbs make their own version of that also?  That was the 1st scale I ever had, would have been bought when I started reloading, back in 1990 or 91

also have the dillon version

now you have me thinking I better get one of them up and running, just in case

8 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

you aren't gonna get a squib at .2 under -- Test weights, you know how much real test weights cost?

A new nickel weighs 5.00 grams.  A penny (post 1982 production, when they became mostly zinc) weighs 2.50 grams.  Google will do the unit conversions for you, but those work out to about 77 grains and 38.5 grains, respectively, and are a pretty good sanity check for accuracy on that range of the balance.   

Those aren't real test weights, by any means, but if you use clean coins that aren't too worn, you won't be far off.   And the price is right.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I just looked up pictures of the 505 — I have that scale too — not sure if its ohaus— did rcbs make their own version of that also?  That was the 1st scale I ever had, would have been bought when I started reloading, back in 1990 or 91

also have the dillon version

now you have me thinking I better get one of them up and running, just in case

I am pretty sure the 5-0-5 was only made by ohaus for RCBS.

22 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I am pretty sure the 5-0-5 was only made by ohaus for RCBS.

I've got a 5-0-5 as well, probably dating to the mid-70's.  Still going strong, though I mostly use a digital scale now (but I like being able to cross-check).