DragonSoul

Hi, New member curious about the Firearms ID application.

Last week I applied for my firearms id and gun permit. I noticed that they also needed a consent for Mental Health record search. Did the initial application that I filled out have that as part of the application process? Because I saw two questions about mental health on the application. Or do I need to fill out the consent for mental health form separately? 

Appreciate any clarity. Thank You! 

I haven’t from 2010-13. Apparently can’t go to local PD if not an emergency, then you get an answering machine when you call and emailed over a week ago. So I’m curious if I need to just bring the form signed to the local pd, or bring the form there and sign it in front of them.

3 minutes ago, InFamous said:

You used to have to sign it in front of them. With the introduction of FARS I'm not 100% sure what the new procedure would be.

That’s the problem, trying to figure out what to do next, but no way of finding out. Think I’ll head over to the PD and ask. Unless someone else knows. 

Thanks for the help! 

2 hours ago, DragonSoul said:

That’s the problem, trying to figure out what to do next, but no way of finding out. Think I’ll head over to the PD and ask. Unless someone else knows. 

Thanks for the help! 

Just a suggestion I would recommend calling first. The detective who handles applications in my town only works certain days and others in the office had no answers to any of my questions. 

45 minutes ago, CF1782 said:

Just a suggestion I would recommend calling first. The detective who handles applications in my town only works certain days and others in the office had no answers to any of my questions. 

I have called about 5 times and once to their primary number, which then sent me to the original number I’ve been calling. And the call always goes to a recorded message. 

Might be better to go there and hopefully get the day(s)/hour(s) the person works, so I can finish this last piece. 

10 minutes ago, DragonSoul said:

I have called about 5 times and once to their primary number, which then sent me to the original number I’ve been calling. And the call always goes to a recorded message. 

Might be better to go there and hopefully get the day(s)/hour(s) the person works, so I can finish this last piece. 

I'd try the records department, ask who is in charge of fid applicationa but dont ask to speak to the detective(they might just transfer you back to his voice mail) ask when would be a good time to call him.

Just an update: I was able to get through and speak to someone in the firearms office. I asked about the consent form for mental health. He told me that I already consented when I did the application online and there was no need to fill the form or bring one in. 

Figured if others were in my position with the same question, that this would help.

My criminal bg check was already done. The person I spoke with, said it’d probably be 2 months before I hear back. I hope not, but we shall see. 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:11 PM, DragonSoul said:

Just an update: I was able to get through and speak to someone in the firearms office. I asked about the consent form for mental health. He told me that I already consented when I did the application online and there was no need to fill the form or bring one in. 

Figured if others were in my position with the same question, that this would help.

My criminal bg check was already done. The person I spoke with, said it’d probably be 2 months before I hear back. I hope not, but we shall see. 

2 months!? What town is this? Im thankful i live in dunellen. Got my permits both times in under 24 days

3 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

Dunellen is a unicorn — my 1st one, in dunellen, was 27 hours — that was in 1990

Wow, 27 hrs. Sounds sweet. Hoping mine is 27 days or less lol. How is it now if you have recently tried? 

9 hours ago, Handyman said:

You'll unfortunately find that most towns are not too enthusiastic about processing this paperwork. Most are bad, and some are truly awful. 

So I’ve seen. Hoping to get lucky!

8 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

2 months!? What town is this? Im thankful i live in dunellen. Got my permits both times in under 24 days

Manalapan, fairly small town. Hopefully it will be sooner than 2 months. Hoping for 1 month.