2A1776

NJ Legal Semi Auto Rifles

Get a newer Ranch MIni.  The older ones were problematic.  But why not get an AR15?  And.. a Ruger 10/22.

I'm not well versed in NJ gun laws, although I have looked over the list of restricted by name weapons and the general guidelines regarding pistol grips, flash suppresors, etc. It was my understanding that most AR15 style guns were banned, but like I said, my knowledge here is only cursory. Appreciate any guidance here.

Naw, there are plenty of AR-15 platforms that are totally legal in NJ.

S&W M&P 15

Ruger AR 556

You basically just can't have one that is capable of automatic fire. Also limited on some accessories.

But there are plenty of NJ legal versions.

for home defense rifle, i don't think you can do much better than an ar platform rifle. me personally, i've got a mossie 12 gauge and a sig 227. my house is very small. an ar while doable, isn't the best in the quarters of my house. the mossie is as short as legally allowed. 

take into account what's easy to maneuver around your house. your neighbors, etc. and whatever you decide......get trainingf. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 2A1776 said:

Hey guys, looking to purchase a NJ compliant semi auto rifle in the future for home defense, plinking, etc. I was thinking the ranch mini 14 would be a good bet, any suggestions?

There are tons of NJ Legal AR variants out there - or assemble one of your own (with some compliance work done).  I've got 4 ARs including a non-NFA "Other" firearm.  

W9MUEo7.jpg

3 hours ago, 2A1776 said:

Hey guys, looking to purchase a NJ compliant semi auto rifle in the future for home defense, plinking, etc. I was thinking the ranch mini 14 would be a good bet, any suggestions?

Where in NJ are you? I work sales at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor (Tuckerton). As of Sunday, we had 2 Mini-14s on the shelf, as well as some NJ legal AR rifles. $700 gets you into a S&W M&P-15. We had a few of those left Sunday night. We also had some Ruger PC Carbines available. Pm me and I can provide an inventory update tomorrow around 7pm if you want.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, Greenday said:

Naw, there are plenty of AR-15 platforms that are totally legal in NJ.

S&W M&P 15

Ruger AR 556

You basically just can't have one that is capable of automatic fire. Also limited on some accessories.

But there are plenty of NJ legal versions.

There are no ar-15's "capable" of fullauto.. it was literally designed as a semiautomatic only rifle. Thats why the rear portion of the reciever is filled in where the auto sear would go.

Making an ar-15 full auto would require the use of a DIAS, or lightning link, both regulated under the 86ban.

15 hours ago, dajonga said:

Where in NJ are you? I work sales at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor (Tuckerton). As of Sunday, we had 2 Mini-14s on the shelf, as well as some NJ legal AR rifles. $700 gets you into a S&W M&P-15. We had a few of those left Sunday night. We also had some Ruger PC Carbines available. Pm me and I can provide an inventory update tomorrow around 7pm if you want.

shooters is great, I go in when down in Tuckerton at the inlaws.

shoot me a PM, would be nice to meet and put a face to the screen name!

21 hours ago, dajonga said:

Where in NJ are you? I work sales at Shooters in Little Egg Harbor (Tuckerton). 

I was in there recently.  What an impressive place!  Huge gun store, lots of people working there.  I was in to buy a Taurus TX22, and that was about the only place I could find that had them.  We have a shore place in Seaside Park, so Shooters is only about a half hour down the Parkway, and conveniently located right next to exit 58.  Looked like a decent range there as well, which is good to known for when I'm down the shore for an extended period of time.

I have a Mini 14, which I affectionately refer to as my "FU" gun, in that it has the same caliber and ballistics as an AR-15, but it doesn't look like a scary black rifle to anti-gunners.  So if they ever get around to launching another "assault weapons" ban, I'll still have my Mini 14.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, 2A1776 said:

Ugh, no.

Get an AR, so many more options.

Except for rifles which are specifically banned by name, (A Colt with an AR-15 rollmark for example), most can be easy modified to be N.J. compliant:.

i.e. pinned and welded muzzle brake, (no birdcage flash hiders) fixed or pinned collapsable stock, milled bayonet lug, 16 inch overall barrel length and 10 round magazines of course.

1 hour ago, Handyman said:

I was just thinking about looking at a Mini 14 but it looks like they are sold out all over the place. 

I think we have one left on the shelf as of closing time today. I do not recall the price. I think it is in a black synthetic stock. I am in at 9 if you want to call. Ask for David.