Underdog

NO Bikes Available!

Kid's Birthday this month and there are NO bikes anywhere to be had...

Bike shop said won't be getting new bikes in until at least December.  Used bike market has dried up and the few that are still available are problematic and/or way overpriced.  

More Wuhan fallout.  I guess everyone is riding these days!

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Kid's Birthday this month and there are NO bikes anywhere to be had...

Bike shop said won't be getting new bikes in until at least December.  Used bike market has dried up and the few that are still available are problematic and/or way overpriced.  

More Wuhan fallout.  I guess everyone is riding these days!

Yep - I was lucky to find one a few months ago for my Niece.  What are you looking for in particular?  If it's a small kid's bike I may have an extra.

My 13 year old grew out of his bike last year.  We were planning to get him one this year and hauled his old one to the local dump.  They have a scrap metal pile and I figured it was still in fair shape, somebody would grab it and another kid would get some use out of it.  The next day, after we got rid of his old bike, we went bike shopping and found out that there are none.

We found several out of stock options at different online sites and just checked websites every day for a couple  of weeks.  Eventually, one of our choices showed up in stock at Walmart.com.  Only one in stock.  We ordered it and figured that somebody else, somewhere in the country must have hit the order button before we did.  I thought we'd get an email that the order was cancelled.  But it showed up via Fedex a few days later.

Don't give up.  You might get lucky like we did. 

i know, crazy ehh??!

My girlfriends son had a barely used 24" boys mountain bike. She bought it for him from Dicks a few years prior, he barely rode it. She was gonna put it out at the curb. I told her to try facebook marketplace for 75$ and see what happens..  We knew nothing of the bike shortage! Needless to say, she was BOMBARDED my messages and people wanting it ASAP. Even some offering more, if we would hold it for a day.. Ended up selling quickly for the 75$ and the people drove from an hour away to pick it up.

My son got a flat on his 26" mountain bike.. Pulled the tube out, its split at the seem..  No biggie, run out and get a new tube... NOT! 6 stores later, still no tube..  FINALLY find an over price 'Slime" filled tube 2 weeks later,,  CRAZY!  Look on the shelves in the bike section of your local walmart or target store.. EVERYTHING is gone.. Tubes, helmets, etc etc...

Who woulda thunk...

It’s not just bikes...or Ammo.  it’s everything.  Trying looking for furniture for a home office.  I’ve had 4 orders for desks either cancelled or pushed out until October.  It’s doesn’t matter which stores, raymore, Walmart, Ashley’s, Wayfair, overstock, bobs...no writing style desk unless their fugly or 1k.   Crazy Times. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

It’s not just bikes...or Ammo.  it’s everything.  Trying looking for furniture for a home office.  I’ve had 4 orders for desks either cancelled or pushed out until October.  It’s doesn’t matter which stores, raymore, Walmart, Ashley’s, Wayfair, overstock, bobs...no writing style desk unless their fugly or 1k.   Crazy Times. 

If you're looking for desks, look at Autonomous - (Referral link) https://bit.ly/2w6xN0t

I love standing desks - my referral link can save you like $45 off a desk or more if you're ordering more than 1.  I've had 3 friends buy these recently and all love them.

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yep - I was lucky to find one a few months ago for my Niece.  What are you looking for in particular?  If it's a small kid's bike I may have an extra.

Thanks.  But I am looking for about a mountain bike 17" or smaller.  

I have a bunch of bikes you can use.  The kids ignored them as they got cars.  So they sit in the garage.  Most are adult sized.

Also, there is a shop in Hightstown that has plenty of new ones, from what I can tell driving by the front window.

• Like 1

Al... tell me what you got.  I need a men's and women's bike. something triple chain ring and 8 cogs, if you have it.

And there's a good chance the shop is putting service bikes in the windows.  I know mine is.

Let me get some pics up when I get in the garage later.  There are a couple out front, one or two in the garage, and a coupe more back in the garden shed.  Why we have so many is something of a mystery.  Should be a few choices to fit your needs.

I will also pop in the bike store to see if they have any real inventory.  Never considered they might set up props. They are pretty good shop owners there.

I also recall that the Freehold super walmart had a ton of bikes out on the floor.  That was maybe a month ago.  I didn't really pay attention what sizes they had, since I wasn't shopping for a bike.

But at any rate, let me see what I have.  I think $5000 each would be fair, given the shortage.

just kidding.

I have a 1992 Cannondale M2000 mountain bike that has a 22 inch size aluminum frame that I am considering selling since I have replaced it with a newer hybrid bicycle with a carbon frame.
At the time I purchased it new, it was the top-of-the-line mountain bike that Cannondale made back in 1992.  I had it totally reconditioned and serviced several years ago at a local bike shop, and had them replace the existing tires/tubes, brakes, chain and seat. I also have two extra inner tubes for the tires.

I have not yet researched what the current market value is for this bike, but assume that due to the current high demand for bicycles, even an older, high-quality mountain bike that has been well maintained, should command a higher price than it would have even one year ago.  If this is a bike that might interest you send me a PM and your cash purchase offer.  Thanks.   Here is a photo of the bike, along with the specifications:

AVB-AMG

Specifications

Year Produced:.................................................... 1992
Model:............................................................... M2000
MSRP:................................................................$1,380
Color:................ Black with Silver Hyper-Highlight (E)
Weight:........................................................... 24.5 lbs
Frame Size:.............................................................. 22
Frame:....... Cannondale 3.0 Series Mountain, Aluminum
Fork:........................... Cannondale Pepperoni, Aluminum
Headset:....................................................... Ritchey Logic
Rear Derailleur:............................. Shimano Deore XT SIS
Front Derailleur:.................................. Shimano Deore XT
Hubs:........................ Shimano Deore ST w/ rear freehub
Spokes:..................................... DT Swiss, stainless steel
Rims:.................... Chinook CR16 silver anodized, 32 hole
Tires:. Continental Double Fighter II, (2016) - (Orig’l.: Ritchey Z-Max)
Brakes:............... Shimano Deore XT w/ Force 40 routing
Brake Pads:........ Koolstop Eagle 2 Cantilever pads (black)
Brake Levers:......................................................... Ritchey
Cranks.................................................. Ritchey 26/36/46
Chain:.............. Shimano Hyperglide CN-HG40 6,7,8 speed
Pedals:........ Shimano SPD’s (Orig’l: Shimano Deore XT Competition)
Shifters:....... Shimano Deore XT over-the-bar thumbshifters
Handlebars:......... Easton Hyperlite, anodized aluminum
Freewheel:. Shimano Deore XT Hyperglide 7-speed cassette, 13-30
Stem:....................... Answer A-Tac TIB-welded aluminum
Headset:................. Tange-Seiki FOV-AL, aluminum, 125g
Seatpost:...................................... Ritchey Force Directional
Saddle:.... WTB Pure V Race (
rising whale-tail rear & drop nose)(2016)

Cannondale_M2000_(1).JPG

• FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, AVB-AMG said:

I have a 1992 Cannondale M2000 mountain bike that has a 22 inch size aluminum frame that I am considering selling since I have replaced it with a newer hybrid bicycle with a carbon frame.
At the time I purchased it new, it was the top-of-the-line mountain bike that Cannondale made back in 1992.  I had it totally reconditioned and serviced several years ago at a local bike shop, and had them replace the existing tires/tubes, brakes, chain and seat. I also have two extra inner tubes for the tires.

I have not yet researched what the current market value is for this bike, but assume that due to the current high demand for bicycles, even an older, high-quality mountain bike that has been well maintained, should command a higher price than it would have even one year ago.  If this is a bike that might interest you send me a PM and your cash purchase offer.  Thanks.   Here is a photo of the bike, along with the specifications:

AVB-AMG

Specifications

Year Produced:.................................................... 1992
Model:............................................................... M2000
MSRP:................................................................$1,380
Color:................ Black with Silver Hyper-Highlight (E)
Weight:........................................................... 24.5 lbs
Frame Size:.............................................................. 22
Frame:....... Cannondale 3.0 Series Mountain, Aluminum
Fork:........................... Cannondale Pepperoni, Aluminum
Headset:....................................................... Ritchey Logic
Rear Derailleur:............................. Shimano Deore XT SIS
Front Derailleur:.................................. Shimano Deore XT
Hubs:........................ Shimano Deore ST w/ rear freehub
Spokes:..................................... DT Swiss, stainless steel
Rims:.................... Chinook CR16 silver anodized, 32 hole
Tires:. Continental Double Fighter II, (2016) - (Orig’l.: Ritchey Z-Max)
Brakes:............... Shimano Deore XT w/ Force 40 routing
Brake Pads:........ Koolstop Eagle 2 Cantilever pads (black)
Brake Levers:......................................................... Ritchey
Cranks.................................................. Ritchey 26/36/46
Chain:.............. Shimano Hyperglide CN-HG40 6,7,8 speed
Pedals:........ Shimano SPD’s (Orig’l: Shimano Deore XT Competition)
Shifters:....... Shimano Deore XT over-the-bar thumbshifters
Handlebars:......... Easton Hyperlite, anodized aluminum
Freewheel:. Shimano Deore XT Hyperglide 7-speed cassette, 13-30
Stem:....................... Answer A-Tac TIB-welded aluminum
Headset:................. Tange-Seiki FOV-AL, aluminum, 125g
Seatpost:...................................... Ritchey Force Directional
Saddle:.... WTB Pure V Race (
rising whale-tail rear & drop nose)(2016)

Cannondale_M2000_(1).JPG

That bike is worth 75 bucks tops!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, carl_g said:

That bike is worth 75 bucks tops!

@carl_g:

I was surprised by your claimed assumption, thinking it was too low.  So I did more research on current used bicycle values, via Bicycle Blue Book.  They indicated that my bicycle in excellent condition was probably worth around $170 - $185 tops.  As I suspected, it is currently a sellers-market for most good to excellent condition bicycles, especially the better quality bicycle name brands like Trek, Specialized and Cannondale.  Ultimately, I have discovered that good quality bikes that are in very good condition, can command around a 30% - 40% premium over valuations made and assumed accurate 6 months ago, ( i.e. Bicycle Blue Book).

FYI, I have been very pleasantly surprised by the number and quantity of responses I have had in less than 24 hours from listing it for possible sale. I have now received four inquiries about the bike, some back and forth discussion, followed by two cash offers and negotiations.  I agreed to sell it to one of those folks for $250 cash.  He told me that after searching for the past two months for an older, high quality mountain bike that had not been abused, he had not had any luck.  He said that there were not many bikes currently for sale with those quality components, in really good condition, let alone with relatively new, low mileage tires/tubes, chain and saddle, for less than $350. - $400.  So it was a very quick and easy, win-win sale.  We will finalize our deal and he will pick up the bike this weekend.

AVB-AMG

20 hours ago, Handyman said:

25 lbs and no suspension? You should sell him the Brooklyn Bridge while you are at it.

18 hours ago, carl_g said:

@AVB-AMG I wasn’t joking. That bike is 28 years old. It doesn’t look like you ever road it but still... it’s very old and the fact you got someone to give you $250 bucks for it is amazing to me.

@Handyman and @carl_g:

You guys are missing the point and not seeing the big picture…  The COVID-19 virus pandemic and resulting shelter-in-place orders that kept cars and trucks off the roads, has been the catalyst for the surge in interest in bicycles and the motivation for families to purchase bikes for both exercise and basic utility.  Many folks are dusting off old bikes and buying new ones for family recreation, exercise, and occasionally, transportation.  I have seen it around my neighborhood and surrounding towns on the roads I travel.  Since April, there has been a swell in activism that has brought many more bicycle riders out in record numbers, emboldened by the reduced number of cars, traffic and polluted air.

I spoke today with the manager of the Summit branch of Hilltop Bicycles, a chain of five bicycle retail stores, who sell and service a variety of brands of bicycles and who performed the servicing on my Cannondale M2000 mountain bike.  He told me that he has never seen a surge in business like this before and that is has just been insane.  He said that their weekly store coordination meetings have revealed that their sales of bicycles, equipment and repair services from March through June, have almost doubled compared with the same period last year and that their sales of commuter and fitness bikes increased 66%, leisure bikes jumped 125%, children’s bikes went up 60% and electric bikes rose 85%.  Not surprising to me, he said that by mid-May, they had sold out of low-end consumer bikes costing less than $1,000. 

When I told him about my sale today of my 1992 Cannondale M2000 mountain bike for $250 he said congratulations.... and that he was not surprised with that price, since he knew its condition, along with the current extremely low available inventory for any new or used bike under $1,000.  He also speculated that most of his suburban customers will never use a mountain bike for real off-rode riding, making a front and/or rear suspension feature a non-factor.

Will this sellers market situation last…?  Probably not.  Once bicycle inventory is replenished and people resume their pre-COVID routines, all of those bikes may once again start to gather dust in garages.  But until then, if you have an old bicycle you are not using you can probably get a pretty penny for it right now….

Also, FYI, I have taken very good care of my bike and BTW, I took that bike up to Maine and rode it in the Acadia National Park, up to the top of Cadillac Mountain to witness the earliest sunrise in the United States....

AVB-AMG

On 7/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sota said:

Al... tell me what you got.  I need a men's and women's bike. something triple chain ring and 8 cogs, if you have it.

And there's a good chance the shop is putting service bikes in the windows.  I know mine is.

Sota 

are those road bikes you are looking for?

On 7/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, Handyman said:

25 lbs and no suspension? You should sell him the Brooklyn Bridge too, while you are at it.

It's a quality bike and I'm sure AVB has taken meticulous care of it.

I sold a 1995 Cannondale road bike for $175 (maybe two years ago).    R900 frame with Campagnolo components, but missing front derailleur. And that was at a garage sale and there was no bike shortage then.

The bike is worth whatever the market will pay.

• Thanks 1