NaDeckerr

Questions about gun relocation from raffle

Hello fellow gun lovers. I have a confusing question. So my dad won a raffle at his job over in PA, but we reside in new jersey. Its an Ar-15 like gun with a pistol lower and a 16inch barrel, im confused on the steps it would take to get the gun into my name because he is gifting it to me for my birthday. I have my FiR card already finished and was wondering what steps i would need to legally bring the gun over to me. Thanks in advance

The gun needs to stay in PA.  I suspect that gun was not specifically made to comply with NJ's laws and probably doesn't.  So, most likely, just possessing it in NJ is enough to spend several years in prison. 

A PA dealer can transfer it to a NJ dealer where it can be modified to be legal here.   You should get the specifics on the gun and talk to a dealer here to find out what modifications are necessary and if it's even possible to make it NJ legal.  Since you say it has a 16" barrel, that may complicate things.

49 minutes ago, NaDeckerr said:

Hello fellow gun lovers. I have a confusing question. So my dad won a raffle at his job over in PA, but we reside in new jersey. Its an Ar-15 like gun with a pistol lower and a 16inch barrel, im confused on the steps it would take to get the gun into my name because he is gifting it to me for my birthday. I have my FiR card already finished and was wondering what steps i would need to legally bring the gun over to me. Thanks in advance

Depending on what it is, you may have to send it to a FFL to have compliance work done before taking posession.  Where are you located?  We can probably point you to one that will help with that.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Depending on what it is, you may have to send it to a FFL to have compliance work done before taking posession.  Where are you located?  We can probably point you to one that will help with that.1

I believe the lower is a franklin arms lower with a pistol brace stock and i do not know the upper, but i think in new jersey you cant have a flash hider or anything that can be used for a suppressor correct? along with 10 round mag limit etc. 

18 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Depending on what it is, you may have to send it to a FFL to have compliance work done before taking posession.  Where are you located?  We can probably point you to one that will help with that.

Also i live in swedesboro, 08085. I believe i have a few FFL's close to me

1 hour ago, NaDeckerr said:

I believe the lower is a franklin arms lower with a pistol brace stock and i do not know the upper, but i think in new jersey you cant have a flash hider or anything that can be used for a suppressor correct? along with 10 round mag limit etc. 

Is it an AR Pistol or an actual rifle?  Pretty much any run of the mill AR Pistol is not NJ Legal and can't be made so.

If it's a full sized rifle with an adjustable stock, you'll need to have the stock pinned in a position, bayonet lug shaved off (if it has one), and the flash hider removed and a muzzle brake pinned/welded on (or a thread protector).

If it's a PA-legal AR pistol (as most are) your best route is to either sell it to the dealer, thus even avoiding a PICS check, or put it on consignment there.

Either way, you've never taken possessive ownership and should not need a background check.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Is it an AR Pistol or an actual rifle?  Pretty much any run of the mill AR Pistol is not NJ Legal and can't be made so.

If it's a full sized rifle with an adjustable stock, you'll need to have the stock pinned in a position, bayonet lug shaved off (if it has one), and the flash hider removed and a muzzle brake pinned/welded on (or a thread protector).

I believe the lower, its just a franklin armory lower. I dont really have the specifics verified yet, but im pretty sure it looks like a pistol brace, which is weird to throw with a 16 in barrel.

2 minutes ago, NaDeckerr said:

I believe the lower, its just a franklin armory lower. I dont really have the specifics verified yet, but im pretty sure it looks like a pistol brace, which is weird to throw with a 16 in barrel.

Well, get as much info as you can - if you can get a picture of it we can help identify.

Weird - is it classified as a pistol or a rifle?  You will have to swap that brace and receiver extension over to a stock/carbine extension if it's a rifle.  If it's classified as a pistol, have your dad sell it and use the money to buy something else.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Weird - is it classified as a pistol or a rifle?  You will have to swap that brace and receiver extension over to a stock/carbine extension if it's a rifle.  If it's classified as a pistol, have your dad sell it and use the money to buy something else.

the guy who raffled it classified it as an AR Pistol. I will send a picture 

4 hours ago, NaDeckerr said:

That's not good.   I think even pictures of AR pistols are illegal in NJ...

Well, not exactly, but there are very few AR pistols that come in under the allowable weight limit NJ imposed, and there are a couple of other gotchas.  You'll hear more when you post the pic and name a make/model.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, NaDeckerr said:

Ok - this is getting into some serious legal grey area.  As a pistol, it would not be NJ Legal in any form as it hits the 2-strikes for a magazine outside of the pistol grip, and manufactured weight limit (50oz).  

Now - it is legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, if it was manufactured and transferred as a pistol.  However, this must be done by someone prior to it being sent to a FFL here in NJ, or else it would have to be registered in their books as a Pistol, and it would never be able to be transferred to you.

Honestly - I think the best course of action would be for your father to sell it, then use the money to get you a NJ Legal AR.

I wonder if the magazine was fixed would an AR/AK pistol be NJ legal. 

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Ok - this is getting into some serious legal grey area.  As a pistol, it would not be NJ Legal in any form as it hits the 2-strikes for a magazine outside of the pistol grip, and manufactured weight limit (50oz).  

Now - it is legal to convert a pistol into a rifle, if it was manufactured and transferred as a pistol.  However, this must be done by someone prior to it being sent to a FFL here in NJ, or else it would have to be registered in their books as a Pistol, and it would never be able to be transferred to you.

Honestly - I think the best course of action would be for your father to sell it, then use the money to get you a NJ Legal AR.

10 hours ago, 10X said:

That's not good.   I think even pictures of AR pistols are illegal in NJ...

Well, not exactly, but there are very few AR pistols that come in under the allowable weight limit NJ imposed, and there are a couple of other gotchas.  You'll hear more when you post the pic and name a make/model.  

this is the picture of the gun

image0 (2).jpeg

6 minutes ago, NaDeckerr said:

this is the picture of the gun

OK - that's got a Franklin Armory Binary trigger in it, and it's technically a machine gun by NJ's definitions - there's no way that can be transferred here.  Your best bet is for your dad to sell it.

2 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

OK - that's got a Franklin Armory Binary trigger in it, and it's technically a machine gun by NJ's definitions - there's no way that can be transferred here.  Your best bet is for your dad to sell it.

is that the only issue? the trigger on lowers can be changed right?

4 minutes ago, NaDeckerr said:

is that the only issue? the trigger on lowers can be changed right?

No, it's the fact that it's a pistol lower as well - you can change the trigger, as well as the receiver extension (buffer tube) and the brace out for an actual stock.  However, that looks like a Franklin Armory Pistol built lower - designed to use the BFS III Binary trigger.  For the price - you can sell this and get a VERY nice AR that will be NJ Legal.

https://franklinarmory.com/bfsiii-equipped-franklin-armory-pistol-built-lower-receiver/

50 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

No, it's the fact that it's a pistol lower as well - you can change the trigger, as well as the receiver extension (buffer tube) and the brace out for an actual stock.  However, that looks like a Franklin Armory Pistol built lower - designed to use the BFS III Binary trigger.  For the price - you can sell this and get a VERY nice AR that will be NJ Legal.

https://franklinarmory.com/bfsiii-equipped-franklin-armory-pistol-built-lower-receiver/

understood, thanks for the help, if it were you buy a completed NJ rifle, or just buy a lower and upper because i dont know much about upper and lower's in new jersey for ar-15's etc.

All of my ARs have been built up from stripped lowers.  Usually you can get pre-assembled uppers - some will require compliance work to remove the bayo lug and pin on a brake, others can come already compliant.  If you assemble a lower from a stripped one with a parts kit, you can pin the stock yourself, or use a fixed carbine stock or A2 type stock.

Some shops will already have NJ Compliant ARs for sale, though right now they're a bit scarce.  

39 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

All of my ARs have been built up from stripped lowers.  Usually you can get pre-assembled uppers - some will require compliance work to remove the bayo lug and pin on a brake, others can come already compliant.  If you assemble a lower from a stripped one with a parts kit, you can pin the stock yourself, or use a fixed carbine stock or A2 type stock.

Some shops will already have NJ Compliant ARs for sale, though right now they're a bit scarce.  

if i decide to sell the weapon, will the shop price the gun or can i price it myself, i am really unaware of current ar-15 prices because of thje outbreak. Also any recommendations you can strongly back for a good upper reciever?

2 hours ago, NaDeckerr said:

if i decide to sell the weapon, will the shop price the gun or can i price it myself, i am really unaware of current ar-15 prices because of thje outbreak. Also any recommendations you can strongly back for a good upper reciever?

Depending on the shop you can ask... but the lower itself is $500 MSRP on Franklin Armory's site.  The upper looks like any 16" upper - You could probably get at least $800 for the whole thing if not more.