Cheflife15

Lake island rifle and pistol club

My daughter shot in a Jr Rifle match there last year.

The club looks and feels very old.  They only allow paper targets to be hung at 25 yards (nothing closer) and they have limits on the number of rounds you can have loaded in your magazine/revolver.

No magnums and no rifles (except .22lr).

Club members who were running the event were INCREDIBLY nice and seemed like really cool people.

If you're into bullseye/revolver league shooting then you might be interested, but if you're looking for a more modern/versatile range then it's probably not for you.

57 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Easton Game and Fish Association (EGFA) right over the border.  Approx 50 minutes from you.  All highway except last 10 minutes.

Stop at Pop's Restaurant on way the home for a tasty burger and to pick up some microbrew beers.

He was there Sunday with @Mr.Stuand @Sota and muah.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:30 PM, Zeke said:

He was there Sunday with @Mr.Stuand @Sota and muah.

Yeah i love this place, my only fear is a malfunction. I haven't had too much practice clearing those (besides the example stu showed me) . lets say i get one stuck in the chamber, and cant clear it as shown, whats the strategy?

3 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah i love this place, my only fear is a malfunction. I haven't had too much practice clearing those (besides the example stu shoes me) . lets say i get one stucj in the chamber, and cant clear it as shown, whats the strategy?

Learn how too.

keep a cleaning rod in your bag and use something for a hammer. Or ask a friendly neighbor.

its just a tool, learn it well

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

my only fear is a malfunction

Malfunctions are rare.  Malfunctions that send you home with a busted, jammed up gun, even rarer.

If you don't already have snap caps to practice manually cycling the action, get some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Malfunctions are rare.  Malfunctions that send you home with a busted, jammed up gun, even rarer.

If you don't already have snap caps to practice manually cycling the action, get some.

Only thing that makes me hesitant is the one time i shot a round and it got caught. The bullet apparently had a burr. The rso put a rod in there to clear it... Its a gutzy move in my opinion lol. I am leaning towarss easton based on price abd the fact that i enjoyed shooting there. However, if i were to get a round stuck like that, and was hesitant to fix the issue myself, could i call teh gunsmith at heritage guild? Put it jn my safe and drive it over? Maybe im just over complicating things but thats kinda what i do. 

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

The bullet apparently had a burr.

A) Check that gun did not cause bullet burr.  B) If gun did not cause burr, buy better ammo.  Look, we get it, it's your first gun, it's dangerous, not a toy, a murder machine, and the seemingly awesome power in your hand frightens you a little bit.  That lasts about 10 minutes once you get going.  It certainly can be dangerous but it's not going to cause a tear in spacetime.

Get some snap caps and finger bang that gun every night until you know everything about it.  How it feels, it's weight and balance, the mechanics, trigger pull, how it sounds.  Get downright intimate with it.

• Agree 1

I'm far from an expert but have shot thousands of rounds and never had a live round jammed in the chamber.  

Is this a recurring problem for you? If so you may want a gunsmith to check your firearm out.

But as Zeke said, bring a wooden dowel and hammer with you just in case.  There are volunteer RSOs there most of the time.  Almost every one I've spoke with there is friendly and if you ever did encounter a problem I'm sure others would help if they could .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

It's okay to love guns and shooting but it's not okay to LOVE your guns. 

Not judging.  Jus sayen.

Reminds me of a Clive Owen movie where the bad guy was very intimate with his 6”revolver 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

A) Check that gun did not cause bullet burr.  B) If gun did not cause burr, buy better ammo.  Look, we get it, it's your first gun, it's dangerous, not a toy, a murder machine, and the seemingly awesome power in your hand frightens you a little bit.  That lasts about 10 minutes once you get going.  It certainly can be dangerous but it's not going to cause a tear in spacetime.

Get some snap caps and finger bang that gun every night until you know everything about it.  How it feels, it's weight and balance, the mechanics, trigger pull, how it sounds.  Get downright intimate with it.

Its only happened once. It was good ammo, it was federal synthetic ammo. Ive put about 2300 rounds through the pistol and rhat was the only issue. It's a walther ppq m5

That's a lot of rounds in a short time frame!  Are you cleaning and lubing the pistol?  Trust me, it's not the gun! I have the Q5 and it's been great. Your problem was caused by a bad round of ammo. Don't let it spook you!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyB said:

That's a lot of rounds in a short time frame!  Are you cleaning and lubing the pistol?  Trust me, it's not the gun! I have the Q5 and it's been great. Your problem was caused by a bad round of ammo. Don't let it spook you!

Yup , gun is spotless. Cleaned and lubricated after every use. Again it was probably a freak accident, but the thought of sticking a tube in there terrifies me. Maybe ill make one in the shape of an L so its effective and safe. 

Once the primer is struck and it does not go off or you get a squib, lay the gun on the table pointed down range. after a minute, it can't do any damage to you! Clear the round with a rod inserted in the end of the barrel and knock it out. It won't hurt you, just keep it pointed down range at all times. Use your shoe heel or any object to hit the rod and your hand will never be in front of the muzzle!:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Once the primer is struck and it does not go off or you get a squib, lay the gun on the table pointed down range. after a minute, it can't do any damage to you! Clear the round with a rod inserted in the end of the barrel and knock it out. It won't hurt you, just keep it pointed down range at all times. Use your shoe heel or any object to hit the rod and your hand will never be in front of the muzzle!:)

This makes total sense. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Yeah i love this place, my only fear is a malfunction. I haven't had too much practice clearing those (besides the example stu shoes me) . lets say i get one stucj in the chamber, and cant clear it as shown, whats the strategy?

Are we not throwing it over the berm anymore to clear malfunctions? 

@PK90 I don’t even recognize this place anymore....

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

I just came here to say the same thing! 

Well I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass!

and yes  @Cheflife15there was a clown that cleared a malfunction several ( yes several) time by tossing the gun over the berm into another pit. Don’t do that... umk

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zeke said:

Well I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass!

and yes  @Cheflife15there was a clown that cleared a malfunction several ( yes several) time by tossing the gun over the berm into another pit. Don’t do that... umk

Is This member Still here? Just want to make sure i don't go shooting work them!

I was extremely disappointed in many of you people when reading this thread.  The most perfect setup ever and you guys dropped the ball, left early, and got hit by a bus.  The last few posts [barely] redeemed you guys.

The person may still be a member there or post here, but sure as shit not under the same screen name. I have never witnessed anyone do anything remotely close to being that unsafe at efga since i joined in 2012.

That was an amazing thread. I feel sorry for all the newcomers who see the "throw it over the wall" references on here and don't know the backstory.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I was extremely disappointed in many of you people when reading this thread.  The most perfect setup ever and you guys dropped the ball, left early, and got hit by a bus.  The last few posts [barely] redeemed you guys.

The person may still be a member there or post here, but sure as shit not under the same screen name. I have never witnessed anyone do anything remotely close to being that unsafe at efga since i joined in 2012.

That was an amazing thread. I feel sorry for all the newcomers who see the "throw it over the wall" references on here and don't know the backstory.

Link?