beeblebrox

Greetings from Mount Royal

Hello all,

My wife and I celebrated our 21st anniversary along with our three boys.  I grew up in PA (though next year I'll have been in NJ longer than I was in PA) and started shooting targets at a range with an ancient .22 bolt-action rifle as early as the age of 10.  My interest in firearms is primarily shooting at a range, with a strong secondary benefit of home defense.  I really love going hunting.  The experience of being with people, being out in the woods, the social aspect, the hunting part... all the stuff around actually lugging a deer out of the woods after you shoot it.  I just don't get a charge out of coming home with the trophy or the provisions.  To each his own.   

I gave all of my rifles and shotguns to a friend when I moved to Jersey (imagine that, no government involved!) but always missed them.  Every time I looked into getting a permit in NJ I was so overwhelmed and annoyed with the process that I gave up.  New babies kept showing up in my house, reasons to not bother, etc.  Then earlier this year it hit me - I don't want my boys growing up infatuated with or afraid of guns, I don't like being without home defense, and I really miss shooting and want to share it with my family.  That and anytime I imagine the world going sideways, I'm left holding a baseball bat.  Once the quarantine hit I had the time and my wife and I both took it to get our FID and a few pistol permits.  She's all set, I'm still probably a week or two off (I screwed up the first application - protip:  triple check your drivers license number when you fill out your app).

I would say the East Greenwich Police Department is pretty solid.  Given the delay caused by Identogo being closed for however long they seem to operate in a very orderly and timely manner.  We ended up talking with the police department on a couple of occasions with good success, and the detective I spoke to about my application mishap was cool and spent time talking through my options with me - we have no complaints.

I've been lurking here for months now - I don't recall how I found the site - perhaps via /r/NJGuns.  I'm a sponge for data so I've been reading, watching videos, and absorbing everything I can.  I'm also a phpbb forum old-timer - I've been using message boards like this for decade(s) now.  Which means I speak when spoken to and only pop my head up if I can provide value.  And I know where the search button is :)

I created the account because I'm starting to come up against questions I can't find answers to using that handy button and may start posting a few.  I'm pretty set on getting us Glocks, though I don't expect to find them.  We're very practical people by nature and despite many friends recommendations that I can do better for less, etc, etc - I want a straight forward solution for us.  Beyond Marvel vs. DC/Chevy vs. Ford style joking, I have run into few experts I trust suggest that a Glock is a bad decision.  I'm also interested in looking into an AR/Other style rifle, which is where my questions start to creep in.  That and we also need to find a range.

Anyway - thanks for hosting the forum and taking time to read!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Welcome to the forum neighbor!:)

Same here, though I'm leaving "the hood" shortly.

Finally got into senior housing in Cherry Hill, so I'll be out of here by end of the month.

Staying in the prnj because my kids and grandkids are here.

And remember what grandkids are ...

... they're the reward you get for not having strangled your teenagers!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thanks all!  To the locals - I've been planning on checking out SJSC.  Is it safe to assume I can just drive over and check the place out at some point?  I was a kid when I went to ranges so there were always grown-ups around to take care of that for me - I'm not exactly sure what the etiquette is about visiting ranges (no plans or expectations to shoot, just want to see the place and get a feel for it).

SJSC is a great range here in south jersey. Your best bet to check it out is on a weekend day between 10 and 3. Park in the front lot near the drive-thru gate and go in the walk-thru gate in the fence adjacent to the clubhouse building. The RSO on duty (not me this weekend) will be glad to answer your questions and give you the 10 cent tour of the up-top ranges (15yd, 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, ,300yd). There are 2 more ranges in the back that are used for events (and by various LEO departments during the week)