Nam Le

Need recommendation for a hunting shotgun

4 hours ago, Nam Le said:

Not really.

The Mos 500 I have was always kept at home so I have no idea how well the finish would sustain weather.

Also for a home defense shotgun, accuracy and everything contributing to accuracy are not really that important. Point my red dot on the target within 7 yard and I know I will hit it for sure.

So I can't really give a review on the Mos 500 I have, except for the pros on the tang safety and the fact that it's never failed me at the ranges.

You are going hunting ... tramping thru the woods and fields in pursuit of game.. Your shotgun is not going to remain in "as-new" condition.  The finish will wear, as will any tool that is used.  Any of the shotguns mentioned will hold-up well for many, many years of hunting use.  Clean it, dry it, and lubricate it as needed.  I recommend a Mossberg 500 for you as you are already familiar with their function and controls.

Shooting a shotgun at a moving target is not like shooting a rifle.  You do not aim; you point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

You are going hunting ... tramping thru the woods and fields in pursuit of game.. Your shotgun is not going to remain in "as-new" condition.  The finish will wear, as will any tool that is used.

Fair enough I suppose.

Anyway, I've set my mind to buy a 26" barrel for my Mos 500 to get it all started... once the hunter course can be completed and the squirrel season begins.

Thanks everyone for your replies.