Cheflife15

Steel case ammo

if your firearm has issues with steel case, get a new firearm

of course you could just buy a cz and not worry about it:icon_e_wink:

I like steel case as it's cheap, reliable, and I've not had any issues with it in pistols.  As for warranty issues, not sure who would void the warranty but there are AR manufacturers that do (dpms, dd, to name a few)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RUTGERS95 said:

if your firearm has issues with steel case, get a new firearm

of course you could just buy a cz and not worry about it:icon_e_wink:

I like steel case as it's cheap, reliable, and I've not had any issues with it in pistols.  As for warranty issues, not sure who would void the warranty but there are AR manufacturers that do (dpms, dd, to name a few)

I love czs, recently shot a p10f and its on my short list. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, charleslee said:

I read where not only should you clean your rifle after using it, you also don’t want to use brass after steel. 

in an AR it may present a problem and that's after several hundred rounds unless you've got tight chamber.  In handguns, I've never had an issue but I rarely shoot 700-1k in a single outing with handguns (500 is usual and then I hit rifle range).  I've done this ARs and have had issues but only after 700 rd mark.  In full disclosure, I'll mix brass and steel on occasion to insure reliability

steel downside is really not sealing the chamber on ignition so you get more carbon buildup than with brass.  That can impact function and I've had it happen but only once.  Again, this is in an AR and not handgun.

• Like 1

No, like right after, before cleaning.

Clean the extra soot and polymer (as in the case of Wolf .223 from 2005) used on rifle steel cases from the chamber. Failures to extract on .223 are common with the extra crap left behind when shooting steel cases (very different metallurgy than brass). Use a brass chamber brush after a steel range session. Now you're GTG

• Thanks 3

I only use steel in my Pap, SKS and Makarov pistols. Since they are all Russian based, they seem built for it and have no issues.

I have heard it does cause more wear to chambers, extractors, ejectors. How much? And when it will cause problems? I dont know.

I would never use steel case in an AR, I have seen two different times at the range where people shooting steel case out of an AR got spent cases jammed in their chamber that the range officers had to bang out with a cleaning rod! It wasnt a pleasant sight!

34 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Alright well I'm jumping down the reloading rabbit hole then because ammos getting expensive

Not as easy as you think right now — components are hard to get, covid and an election year — the double whammy

Primers are the key —if you can find primers than everything else can be found or substituted

not trying to discourage you — I can help with brass and I’m willing to help you being in Dunellen

what caliber or calibers are we talking here? How much you want to spend?

I saw a full reloaders dream setup on another forum recently — not cheap but it was almost everything needed to get started from nothing in 1 purchase — and quality stuff

2 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

Not as easy as you think right now — components are hard to get, covid and an election year — the double whammy

Primers are the key —if you can find primers than everything else can be found or substituted

not trying to discourage you — I can help with brass and I’m willing to help you being in Dunellen

what caliber or calibers are we talking here? How much you want to spend?

I saw a full reloaders dream setup on another forum recently — not cheap but it was almost everything needed to get started from nothing in 1 purchase — and quality stuff

As of now im only shooting 9mm. Do you think ammo prices will drop after the election? How much for a reloaders dream?

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

As of now im only shooting 9mm. Do you think ammo prices will drop after the election? How much for a reloaders dream?

Depends on a lot of factors. If Biden wins, then it is only gonna get crazier. If Trump wins then the price will go back down but nothing like the Trump slump of post 2016. Strong possiblity of a Democrat controlled Congress too. Also we haven't hit the second wave of COVID yet and the trial of the officers in Minnesota hasn't even happened yet. 

I too am getting into reloading also. I gotta get primers too.  

9 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/reloaders-dream-set-up-dillon-mbf-bigg-dawg.104473/#post-1727203

Take a look for yourself

as for ammo availability in the future — if Biden and whoever controls him wins we may never see easy access to ammo again

That is quite the set up but certainly out of my price range at the moment. Shame i got into shooting so late if this is the direction its going. 

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

That is quite the set up but certainly out of my price range at the moment. Shame i got into shooting so late if this is the direction its going. 

I know it seems pricey but really it isn’t— it’s just a lot at one time

If you actuallt become a reloader, you’ll have more than this into your setup — this way might actually be cheaper in the long run — quality stuff the 1st time

• Like 1

Never had a problem with steel in our's.  I shoot 2-3 times a week - it's saved me PLENTY. 

Have only seen 1 S&W AR have a steel case stuck.  

Then again I've been anti-social distancing for 10 years [retired] and don't shoot around many except a chosen few.   

I had a friend ask where I got all my stash,  I told him 2018 and before. 

When cheap -stack deep.   

PRAY trump wins!

Bar stash.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I would only use cheap steel cased ammo on something like a surplus bolt gun, like a Turkish Mauser for example. For modern and surplus handguns I only use brass or aluminum. Using steel cased ammo in your prized handguns or rifles isn't worth the risk of potentially damaging your gun just to save a few dollars on the cheap stuff. Just my humble opinion.

The only guns I've willingly used steel case ammo in were my Mosin and my AK.

Based on what I have seen, I could use steel in everything and should hold up fine, but I would prefer not to. Might be fine for some cheap SHTF scenario, but I'd prefer to stick to aluminum minimum for cheap ammo.  My 9mms have all eaten it up fine with zero issues over the years.

6 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

They have in the past. Sams been my go too. Didn't need nothing but a CC for years - last time they asked for FID or License IIRC.   That was my last order last year.  

On 7/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, pasu0115 said:

I only use steel in my Pap, SKS and Makarov pistols. Since they are all Russian based, they seem built for it and have no issues.

I have heard it does cause more wear to chambers, extractors, ejectors. How much? And when it will cause problems? I dont know.

I would never use steel case in an AR, I have seen two different times at the range where people shooting steel case out of an AR got spent cases jammed in their chamber that the range officers had to bang out with a cleaning rod! It wasnt a pleasant sight!

if it does, it's inconsequential.  The extractors, chambers, and ejectors are significantly harder than the softer steel used in casings.  The issue with steel, most predominately Tula, in your AR is the pressure curve due to different powders.  Western powders burn curve is longer away from the throat, wolf a little closer but Tula is damn near right after ignition.  Heat and friction is the enemy, not the steel case

everyone needs to get 5 people who have not voted to vote.  It SHOULD NOT BE HARD IN TODAY'S CLIMATE.  If you don't do this then to quote the famous Ricky Bobby, 'fk u'     lol

seriously though

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

if it does, it's inconsequential.  The extractors, chambers, and ejectors are significantly harder than the softer steel used in casings.  The issue with steel, most predominately Tula, in your AR is the pressure curve due to different powders.  Western powders burn curve is longer away from the throat, wolf a little closer but Tula is damn near right after ignition.  Heat and friction is the enemy, not the steel case

everyone needs to get 5 people who have not voted to vote.  It SHOULD NOT BE HARD IN TODAY'S CLIMATE.  If you don't do this then to quote the famous Ricky Bobby, 'fk u'     lol

seriously though

Thanks Kanye for throwing your hat in the ring with the last tidbit 

• Haha 1