Mr.Stu

IDPA Intro class - August 29

1 hour ago, 70gto said:

That is a nice setup, quick question are the holsters required to have some sort of retention? (locking mechanism) for the gun so it cant be grabbed out of the holster by another person?  I have a safariland ALS type holster now .I think I will order it tomorrow looks like it has everything I need.

Don't jump the gun (pun intended). You're shooting a Glock 9mm - I have a variety of mag pouches I can loan you and you can see if you like them.

The ALS holster will be fine too - I used to run them all the time.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:15 PM, 67gtonut said:

Interested......  been awhile

I was thinking the same. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster. From what I can find it appears it is no longer legal for IDPA?

10 hours ago, 70gto said:

SH&t now I GOTTA go practice before I embarass myself.

Anyone have any good recommendations for mag pouch or pouches for two magazines for a glock ? for IDPA Competition, I hate buying stuff twice , so tell me what you fellas or gals like.  How big is that center 0 target in the middle of the target anyway? 6- inches 8 inches or 2 feet (WOULD BE NICE)? 

I have three of these on my belt for USPSA competitions. I don't intend to use them for this class, as long as Stu approves of my plan. You can borrow one or more (assuming your Glock mags fit, my M&P & SIG mags both do). https://blade-tech.com/products/signature-series-double-mag-pouch?variant=8666072744026

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Don't jump the gun (pun intended). You're shooting a Glock 9mm - I have a variety of mag pouches I can loan you and you can see if you like them.

The ALS holster will be fine too - I used to run them all the time.

Stu, I'd like to use my P365 with an IWB kydex holster for this class, is that allowed? I also have an OWB leather holster for it. Only problem with that one is it's sized for a light, which I recall is a no-no for IDPA. I can also go with my Shield and OWB leather holster (no light). I can also use a fullsize 9mm with OWB kydex if you don't want sub-compacts for the class.

Also, is this outdoors & rain or shine?

6 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I was thinking the same. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster. From what I can find it appears it is no longer legal for IDPA?

SERPA holsters are not banned by IDPA. Some IDPA clubs have banned them at the local level, but it is not global. I discourage their use but do allow them.

If I see your finger curling during your draw - we will be having words.

What gun do you run? I may have an alternative holster for you.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I have three of these on my belt for USPSA competitions. I don't intend to use them for this class, as long as Stu approves of my plan. You can borrow one or more (assuming your Glock mags fit, my M&P & SIG mags both do). https://blade-tech.com/products/signature-series-double-mag-pouch?variant=8666072744026

Glock mags do not fit in the ones sized for M&P ans Sig. Glock mags are fatter due to the plastic sleeve over the metal. I have single versions of those for Glock I can bring.

14 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Stu, I'd like to use my P365 with an IWB kydex holster for this class, is that allowed? I also have an OWB leather holster for it. Only problem with that one is it's sized for a light, which I recall is a no-no for IDPA. I can also go with my Shield and OWB leather holster (no light). I can also use a fullsize 9mm with OWB kydex if you don't want sub-compacts for the class.

Also, is this outdoors & rain or shine?

Any IWB holster is legal for IDPA so long as it is on the strong side hip. No small of back or appendix allowed.

Yes, it is rain or shine. I'll have my pop-up for some shelter, but if rain is forecast don't bring your all steel family heirloom.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

No, it's level 1 retention (Friction).  The Safariland ALS you have will work.  Just get a double mag holder.  Bladetech, Comp Tac, Etc.  If you really need I can lend mine out

THats a great offer. Thank you, equipment is like buying a gun sometimes you just have to buy it to try it. i hate to impose. I like my als holster,  but open to new ideas 

14 hours ago, 70gto said:

Anyone have any good recommendations for mag pouch or pouches for two magazines for a glock ? for IDPA Competition, 

https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Tech-Signature-Double-Pouch-Tek-Lok/dp/B07PNJSMJF/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=blade+tech+mag+pouch&qid=1595610625&sr=8-2

38 minutes ago, Bighungry618 said:

Maybe, but this sounds like exercise...plus i'd have to find a hungry sized rig...also i suck at shooting things

It's not much in the way of exercise - I've had a guy over 400lb complete the class. IDPA actually has rules limiting how far a stage can require a competitor move.

• Like 1

No inner/outer (or over/under) belt systems allowed. Your understanding about belt loops is correct. However, IIRC, you are allowed to skip a belt loop or two. Stu?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bighungry618 said:

Does IDPA allow for an inner/outer belt system?  From what i understand it's belt through pant loops only.   Someone please unconfuse me.

Don't over think this. This is a class on how to start competing in IDPA. It is not an IDPA match. If you only have a USPSA style inner/outer belt bring it and use it. Save the equipment rules for when it matters - in an actual match.

Guess what else - even if you bring a concealment garment I will not be letting you use it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Don't over think this. This is a class on how to start competing in IDPA. It is not an IDPA match. If you only have a USPSA style inner/outer belt bring it and use it. Save the equipment rules for when it matters - in an actual match.

Guess what else - even if you bring a concealment garment I will not be letting you use it.

thanks!

13 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

SERPA holsters are not banned by IDPA. Some IDPA clubs have banned them at the local level, but it is not global. I discourage their use but do allow them.

If I see your finger curling during your draw - we will be having words.

What gun do you run? I may have an alternative holster for you.

Walther PPQ M1. I'm all ears for a recommendation. I really need to practice my draw. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Walther PPQ M1. I'm all ears for a recommendation. I really need to practice my draw. 

For a holster? PM SgtToadette, he shot a PPQ M1, to great effect,  for years.

3 hours ago, NJSigfan said:

@Mr.Stu if we’re shooting the qualifier, should we bring a cover garment?  Just making sure based on the garment statement above...

Cover garments are not required for classifiers.

14 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I used a Bladetech holster for years and it served its purpose well.

You can also use a Safariland 579 Pro-Fit if you're looking for a universal gun bucket. It's a littler slower and I don't care for the slight forward cant, but it's not going to make or break a stage for me. The positive retention is also nice for the peace of mind, especially if you want to do 3-gun where you'll be doing more sprinting. I currently use one for my CZ P10F and have confirmed it fits the PPQ M1.

There are a ton of good holsters available now that the PPQ is pretty mainstream. Anything from a reputable kydex holster manufacturer should serve you well. For IDPA I'd stick to OWB holsters, just avoid anything with a drop or offset as the gun needs to be within a dowel rod of your body.

Also, Stu - I can be available to help if you need it. Just let me know.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, dajonga said:

How often do you run this class? I am very interested, but the date on this does not work for me.

I have so many other things on my plate, this will probably be the only class this year.

I'll see what I can do for next year.

Also, there is 1 spot left - grab it soon if you want it.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:15 PM, 67gtonut said:

Interested......  been awhile

On 7/24/2020 at 2:30 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

Lots of OG peeps coming out of the woodwork for this one... :ninja:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry I'm just seeing this,  don't know why I ignored it before -- 

I'm interested but with my son also -- I see there is only 1 spot left -- How many spots where there?  

I do see there is a waitlist --Do you usually get cancellations?  If I buy the last spot and then go with one of us on the waitlist what are the chances that the second guy will get in?  

My son is 20 and has been shooting for a decade -- handgun, rifle, shotgun

13 hours ago, Jon said:

Lots of OG peeps coming out of the woodwork for this one... :ninja:

I want to get back into it. I have an inner/outer belt on order and I received my Safariland 579 (thanks for the recommendation @SgtToadette) the other day. I probably need more mags and mag holders though. 

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I want to get back into it. I have an inner/outer belt on order and I received my Safariland 579 (thanks for the recommendation @SgtToadette) the other day. I probably need more mags and mag holders though. 

Inner/outer belts are not legal in IDPA. Your belt must pass through all but 2 belt loops on your pants. I don't insist on it in my class, but expect to be told about it every time you used it at a club match and expect to earn an equipment DQ at tier 2 matches and above.

The number of mags you need depends on the division you're shooting. SSP, ESP & CO have a division capacity of 10. If you're running Jersey legal mags life is easier if you have 4 but you can get by with 3. You'll need 2 mag pouches.

6 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Inner/outer belts are not legal in IDPA. Your belt must pass through all but 2 belt loops on your pants. I don't insist on it in my class, but expect to be told about it every time you used it at a club match and expect to earn an equipment DQ at tier 2 matches and above.

The number of mags you need depends on the division you're shooting. SSP, ESP & CO have a division capacity of 10. If you're running Jersey legal mags life is easier if you have 4 but you can get by with 3. You'll need 2 mag pouches.

@Zeke^^^^^