charleslee

Upright Piano recommendations

11 minutes ago, charleslee said:

Sweet! Thanks. Suggestions as to where to look? 

I generally check Craigslist for such things.   Facebook Marketplace (or whatever it's called) and NextDoor may be useful as well, though I've not actually used either, nor searched for a piano.

We have a family piano that kind of migrates from house to house depending on who at the moment has kids interested in learning to play.  The moving and tuning fees for a 'free' piano may make you suggest clarinet lessons as an alternative.

3 hours ago, charleslee said:

Sirs: My adult daughter wants one, she took lessons yrs ago. Do any of you have any advice as to reputable dealers in the central Jersey area or elsewhere? Good brands that w/ last? Prices? Used vs. new. Etc.? Thanks, much appreciated. 

I play so I say this based on my experience:  unless you really want an upright, get an electric keyboard.  Much less hassle to deal with,  and it's portable so your daughter can practice and play anywhere, plus she can plug in headphones if she needs to be quiet.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I play so I say this based on my experience:  unless you really want an upright, get an electric keyboard.  Much less hassle to deal with,  and it's portable so your daughter can practice and play anywhere, plus she can plug in headphones if she needs to be quiet.

I second this.

We had a "free" upright piano in our previous house.  It was a pain in the ass to move around, they take up a lot of space, and depending on the conditions in your home it could require regular tuning.

We replaced it with a Yamaha electric keyboard and it's a FAR better fit IMO.  Doesn't take up as much room, never needs to be tuned, and is more versatile.

Unless your daughter has visions of being a working musician the piano (and probably keyboard) will rarely get used after the first session of lessons are done.  Keyboard can be put away and taken out as the music bug hits (or not) and still be in tune and ready to go.

Good luck.

• Agree 1

I believe she definitely wants an upright but I’ll ask. Thanks fellas for the recommendations. I agree but it’s her call. She’s going through a trying time & feels getting back into playing w/ be therapeutic. I’m on board getting one for that reason & so all the money I spent yrs ago for lessons pays off. I never considered it a waste of money anyhow. It’s funny though in that she just told me the other day how much she had loved playing & missed it. 

We have 4 electronic keyboards and a Yamaha upright. While the keyboards are great for jammin with the band, they are still just not the same as the real thing. When my wife wants to relax and play for herself, she always goes to the Yamaha upright. 

You can put a laser in your handgun and practice in your basement, but it's not the same as going to the range. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 1:23 PM, tomk62 said:

I play as well and have a Yamaha upright electric and love it.  They come with weighted keys now, which play and feel just like a regular upright, you can plug in headphones when you don't want to make a lot of noise and they never go out of tune.

• Like 1

I have both...a real upright and a fancy keyboard.  Neither of which anyone has touched in years.  Im sure the upright needs a tune, but the keyboard is all electronic.  Price = zero.  But in all honesty, the upright would need a couple of guys to lift it out.