Brisco

New handgun for neighbor

As the title says, I’m looking for some help finding a handgun for my neighbor (in northern Monmouth County). This is going to be his first handgun, he is 75 years old. He has had his FID for years, but just got his pistol permit today. 

I took him to the range a couple weeks ago. He liked my CZ-85 in 9mm a lot.. Didn’t care for the M&P in 9mm. Liked shooting the Colt trooper in both 38sp and .357. He shot my Sig 226 pretty good in .40 and with the .22 conversion barrel. 

Looking for gun suggestions as well as FFLs. Especially FFLs not too far from us. It’s been a few years since I bought a new one. Who has some inventory? And do we have to make appointments now? I would submit a price request here, but he does not know what he wants. 

Thank you all for your help, my neighbor is good people and I like helping people by more guns.

For FFLs you can use Monmouth Arms, Howell Gun Works and Legend Firearms. 
Monmouth Arms is in Marlboro in the strip mall between Kohl’s and Rosalita’s on 9 North.

Howel Gun Works is on 9 South and in Howell

Legend Firearms is inside of Union Hill Gun Range.

you can Google then for their exact addresses they are also on the forum.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brisco said:

As the title says, I’m looking for some help finding a handgun for my neighbor (in northern Monmouth County). This is going to be his first handgun, he is 75 years old. He has had his FID for years, but just got his pistol permit today. 

I took him to the range a couple weeks ago. He liked my CZ-85 in 9mm a lot.. Didn’t care for the M&P in 9mm. Liked shooting the Colt trooper in both 38sp and .357. He shot my Sig 226 pretty good in .40 and with the .22 conversion barrel. 

Looking for gun suggestions as well as FFLs. Especially FFLs not too far from us. It’s been a few years since I bought a new one. Who has some inventory? And do we have to make appointments now? I would submit a price request here, but he does not know what he wants. 

Thank you all for your help, my neighbor is good people and I like helping people by more guns.

Steve at Monmouth Arms has a couple of CZ's in stock.  He's not too far from you.

Sounds like he''s into Single action double action type guns. If he likes the CZ he can look at the CZ 75 perhaps Beretta 92 series? Buying anything these days you your neighbor is going to pay premium at the moment. If he likes .22LR how about the Ruger MK IV series, S&W Victory or a Browning Buckmark? Cheap ammo and great for target.  

Thanks for the replies so far. Will probably take a ride with him to all three of the shops local to us. Pretty sure he got two permits, so maybe a .22 and a 9mm might be in his future.

Reached out to Steve, will do the same for Legend and Howell Gun Works

I'm a big believer in a .22 for a first timer. To get good one NEEDS to shoot a lot and often IMHO

2 permits?  A .22 and a 9 in the same brand/style/frame.

Controls are the same.  IMHO great for muscle memory. 

My 2nd purchase was a Colt 1911 in .45 - 3rd was Colt ACE in .22

Weshoot in lakewood is pretty good inventory wise and they rent various handguns to try out. Never had a long wait there for range time or help.

RTSP in union also has a good inventory and you can choose 4 to try, that's what I was told but never tried there. The problem is they're busy range time and counter help can be in excess of one hour.

Both will act as an FFL if you want something sent there.

Older guy, First timer, Go revolver. Ruger sp101. 5 shot, 38 special easy on those arthritic hands and virtually never malfunctions. Any 38/357 is perfect. If you can find one. Semi might be a little tougher on the hands with racking, failures etc. GP100 is a little heavier. That used to be pretty cheap also.

• Agree 1

Ruger Mark of any flavor.  Preference for me would be Mark II with 5.5" barrel.  A S&W Freedom? might be a good alternative.  

He might want to checkout a S&W M&P EZ Shield in 9mm or .380.  if he wants a larger caliber.  

Thank You all for the replies and information.

I went with my neighbor to 3 different stores on Saturday. The lack of inventory was amazing to me. 

He ended up buying a EAA Witness LTD Custom in 9mm. A little more of a race gun, but he wanted an all metal 9mm. The staff at Legend Firearms was very patient and helpful with an older first time handgun owner. NICS was 3-4 days, he is hoping to pick up today(Friday) if he gets the call. 

• Like 2