While cleaning out my dads house I found his sea bag from when he served in Marines back in the sixties.

Inside was his bayonet with a decent amount of surface rust. I applied some clp for the moment, but am hoping someone more experienced could advise on basic restoration practices.

Sheath says M8, but Bayonet says M6 on the tang

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zah4DjqQGmIrhwmHaBqSYbx-iBBpKwVO?usp=sharing

I think M8 is just the model of the scabbard.  Someone with more knowledge will chime in.

M6 bayonet is for the M14.  A quick look at values is all over the place. From about $45 to $250 on Ebay.  The manufacturer may have something to do with it. Someone has a new one in the wrap for $120.

Don't "restore" it.  Original finish is everything.  I have a 1911 made in 1918 that went through rebuild in WW2.  With the WW2 finish, even worn, it would be worth a couple of thousand.  Someone reblued it along the way so it's not even worth half that.

Clean off the surface rust gently and leave it as it is.

I'm not looking to sell, but thank you for the heads up in potential value.

He did carry an M-14 so that makes sense. I just want to halt the rust, remove what I can, and keep it for sentimental reasons.

1 hour ago, Dave Archibald said:

Can you post a pic to see how bad the rust is? ^ or 7 makers on Bayo and about the same on scabbards. There have been some NOS released lately. About 35 each for NOS scabbards. I think PWH.

Thanks for info.

Added a link to photos

3 hours ago, Theron said:

While cleaning out my dads house I found his sea bag from when he served in Marines back in the sixties.

Inside was his bayonet with a decent amount of surface rust. I applied some clp for the moment, but am hoping someone more experienced could advise on basic restoration practices.

Sheath says M8, but Bayonet says M6 on the tang

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zah4DjqQGmIrhwmHaBqSYbx-iBBpKwVO?usp=sharing

I use this all the time. @Scorpio64 donated me a nice rotor to steal from. It’s fancy science stuff. But you’re smert, you can do this.

pro tip... none of the new battery chargers will work,  use a battery in between charger and the science experiment 

• Informative 1