Has anyone else noticed more rodents scurrying about this year, especially chipmunks?  I'm seeing many times more signs of these critters, chipmunks, gophers, moles, voles, squirrels and wabbits.  More than half the lawns I cut are lousy with tunnels.  Usually, I almost never see chipmunks, sadly, my mower ate two so far this year.

The only thing I can think to attribute this to is earlier this year, when people were not driving around much, the road kill count was far lower and lead to a significant decrease in mortality.

25 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Has anyone else noticed more rodents scurrying about this year, especially chipmunks?  I'm seeing many times more signs of these critters, chipmunks, gophers, moles, voles, squirrels and wabbits.  More than half the lawns I cut are lousy with tunnels.  Usually, I almost never see chipmunks, sadly, my mower ate two so far this year.

The only thing I can think to attribute this to is earlier this year, when people were not driving around much, the road kill count was far lower and lead to a significant decrease in mortality.

Last year oaks produced allot of acorns, add in a mild winter and its a recipe for a varmint explosion. There's going to be allot of fox and coyote come fall because there's so much food for this seasons offspring.

Theres so many chipmunks and red squirrels up here its unbelievable. My hunting dog is catching chipmunks and bringing them to me almost every day. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Last year oaks produced allot of acorns, add in a mild winter and its a recipe for a varmint explosion. There's going to be allot of fox and coyote come fall because there's so much food for this seasons offspring.

Theres so many chipmunks and red squirrels up here its unbelievable. My hunting dog is catching chipmunks and bringing them to me almost every day. 

we have a fox thats been visiting the property daily in the late evening around this time, been driving my dogs nuts and consequently me!

Chipmunks galore. I just had my lawn seeded and there are holes everywhere. Im currently researching the best course of action. I was thinking relocation, but I read that is frowned upon. Traps maybe?

8 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Chipmunks galore. I just had my lawn seeded and there are holes everywhere. Im currently researching the best course of action. I was thinking relocation, but I read that is frowned upon. Traps maybe?

Google T Rex rat traps. You're welcome.lol

On 7/17/2020 at 9:34 PM, Handyman said:

I've seen more foxes this year than any year in my life. They must be enjoying the buffet.

Our neighborhood had a few last year, but it hasn't been seen yet in 2020.  Also, the squirrel population had increased this year.  Somehow, they started dropping out of trees.

4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Somehow, they started dropping out of trees.

If you ever want to get a really really good picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens on them and line up the perfect shot.

1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you ever want to get a really really good picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens on them and line up the perfect shot.

Thanks!  I have gotten a bit back into photography since the pandemic.  :D

19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you ever want to get a really really good sight picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens crosshairs on them and line up the perfect shot.

FTFY

• Haha 1