Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Has anyone else noticed more rodents scurrying about this year, especially chipmunks?  I'm seeing many times more signs of these critters, chipmunks, gophers, moles, voles, squirrels and wabbits.  More than half the lawns I cut are lousy with tunnels.  Usually, I almost never see chipmunks, sadly, my mower ate two so far this year.

The only thing I can think to attribute this to is earlier this year, when people were not driving around much, the road kill count was far lower and lead to a significant decrease in mortality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Has anyone else noticed more rodents scurrying about this year, especially chipmunks?  I'm seeing many times more signs of these critters, chipmunks, gophers, moles, voles, squirrels and wabbits.  More than half the lawns I cut are lousy with tunnels.  Usually, I almost never see chipmunks, sadly, my mower ate two so far this year.

The only thing I can think to attribute this to is earlier this year, when people were not driving around much, the road kill count was far lower and lead to a significant decrease in mortality.

Last year oaks produced allot of acorns, add in a mild winter and its a recipe for a varmint explosion. There's going to be allot of fox and coyote come fall because there's so much food for this seasons offspring.

Theres so many chipmunks and red squirrels up here its unbelievable. My hunting dog is catching chipmunks and bringing them to me almost every day. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Last year oaks produced allot of acorns, add in a mild winter and its a recipe for a varmint explosion. There's going to be allot of fox and coyote come fall because there's so much food for this seasons offspring.

Theres so many chipmunks and red squirrels up here its unbelievable. My hunting dog is catching chipmunks and bringing them to me almost every day. 

we have a fox thats been visiting the property daily in the late evening around this time, been driving my dogs nuts and consequently me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chipmunks galore. I just had my lawn seeded and there are holes everywhere. Im currently researching the best course of action. I was thinking relocation, but I read that is frowned upon. Traps maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Chipmunks galore. I just had my lawn seeded and there are holes everywhere. Im currently researching the best course of action. I was thinking relocation, but I read that is frowned upon. Traps maybe?

Google T Rex rat traps. You're welcome.lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2020 at 9:34 PM, Handyman said:

I've seen more foxes this year than any year in my life. They must be enjoying the buffet.

Our neighborhood had a few last year, but it hasn't been seen yet in 2020.  Also, the squirrel population had increased this year.  Somehow, they started dropping out of trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

Somehow, they started dropping out of trees.

If you ever want to get a really really good picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens on them and line up the perfect shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you ever want to get a really really good picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens on them and line up the perfect shot.

Thanks!  I have gotten a bit back into photography since the pandemic.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you ever want to get a really really good sight picture of a squirrel, smear some peanut butter on a board or a fence post.  They keep their heads very still while licking, and you can really center the lens crosshairs on them and line up the perfect shot.

FTFY

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  •  

    NJGunForums Web Banner Ad July 2021[74426].jpg

  • olight.jpg

    Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

  • Supporting Vendors

  • Latest Topics

  • Posts

    • Apparently you should bring a rock to a gun fight:  Gunman kills 1, injuries 3 before he’s stoned to death in Fort Worth, news report says (yahoo.com)
    • Thanks for sharing these. Looks like time for a road trip!
    • Day three was very good to the Team USA Skeet Shooters, as they won the gold in both the Men's and Women's events! Returning Olympic Medalist Vincent Hancock was in 4th place after the previous day's qualification round, 2 birds behind the leader, while Amber English was in 3rd place, but 3 birds back.   Both pulled it out in the final, each setting new Olympic records, Vincent winning an unprecedented third Olympic Gold Medal in the event. Men's Skeet Gold  V. Hancock, USA, 59 (Olympic Record!) Silver  J. Hansen, Denmark, 55 Bronze  A. Al-Rahshidi, Kuwait, 46 Men's Skeet Finals - video Women's Skeet Gold A. English, USA, 56 (Olympic Record!) Silver D. Bacosi, Italy, 55 Bronze  M. Wei, China, 46 Women's Skeet Finals - video In Skeet, after a 125 target qualification round, six shooters advance to the final.  In a manner similar to that seen in the air gun events, partway through the final the lowest shooters are eliminated from the squad, one by one, until at the end only the top two shooters remain in head-to-head competition.   It is another fairly recent change to how the match is run, probably made in the interest of making it more interesting for the TV audience (and more stressful to the shooters). Since so much is different in international competition than what we are used to in US shooting events, I've attached the link below with good information on how every event works. How are the Olympic shooting events scored?
    • I got a service grade from them about a year ago and it was great. It does have a replacement stock with the CMP cartouche. I would absoluetly get another on but I'm on the list for the 1911's.
    • Great shop!  @Pizza Bob turned me on to them a few years ago.
×
×
  • Create New...