Buying a gun while awaiting the permit

With prices going up and genuine good deals potentially getting scarce I was wondering if it's considered bad form to purchase a handgun online and then have the gun hang out in an FFL's lock up till my permit applications are processed? (Applied June 28th)

If I see a good deal and want to go for it I dont want to create a bunch of headaches for someone but on the other hand 2 or 6 months from now the price doubling seems possible if not likely. I wouldn't be opposed to paying a modest storage fee or something but as I have zero experience with this I figured I'd ask here before I get laughed at by an ffl.

You should find an FFL who's willing to transfer an online sale to you, confirm how much they want per month to store the gun, and then decide if the storage fee while you wait will negate the sale savings. Or not. As long as you agree on this in advance, no problem.

It's just business.

I would say doubling of pricing might be a bit of an overestimate.

When I buy a firearm from my FFL (and not online with transfer) my FFL does not charge a storage fee while I wait. I should note I'm a long time customer.

Either way, work all that out in advance.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, CF1782 said:

With prices going up and genuine good deals potentially getting scarce I was wondering if it's considered bad form to purchase a handgun online and then have the gun hang out in an FFL's lock up till my permit applications are processed? (Applied June 28th)

I had  MonmouthArms.com hold a handgun purchased online, no charge, while I waited on the purchase permit.

Much better that way, no pressure to buy because of the PP expiration date. 

.Not trying to bust your chops.

Most FFLs will not charge you for storage when you pay for an in stock gun in full.

A FFL might charge a storage fee for an online purchase he's holding for you.  Keep in mind they're a business.  If they're holding your online purchase they are responsible for it.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

.Not trying to bust your chops.

Most FFLs will not charge you for storage when you pay for an in stock gun in full.

A FFL might charge a storage fee for an online purchase he's holding for you.  Keep in mind they're a business.  If they're holding your online purchase they are responsible for it.

Yes, I agree my question has been answered. I don't have a problem with a storage fee and I get it as a business that holding inventory costs. Thank you all :)