I live in California and will be purchasing a SW Shield 9 mm subcompact ca compliant. If I want to move back driving cross country to NJ, would it be allowed in NJ?  Also, do I have to register the firearm or register myself as an owner?   Does NJ have a gun roster?   What are the laws driving cross country?   Can I just ship the gun to a NJ address?

42 minutes ago, Ijason said:

I live in California and will be purchasing a SW Shield 9 mm subcompact ca compliant. If I want to move back driving cross country to NJ, would it be allowed in NJ?  Also, do I have to register the firearm or register myself as an owner?   Does NJ have a gun roster?   What are the laws driving cross country?   Can I just ship the gun to a NJ address?

1 yes

2 no 

3 no

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

5 no but it could be shipped to an FFL

8 hours ago, PK90 said:

Above is correct. The following is also and option.

5. Yes. If it is your new NJ residence, you may ship it to yourself.

Quite true.  It's legal to ship it to yourself, because no transfer is taking place.  You sign to ship, you sign to receive on the other end, and at no point does anyone else own the gun.

That said, it can be really hard to find a place that will do this.  When you describe what you want to do to the counter clerk, and then to the clerk's manager, they may both assume that can't possibly be legal and will dig in their heels.  I've experienced this.    Or you may be fortunate to find a place that understands the law, and you'll have no problem.

Some years back, both USPS and UPS, by policy, allowed shipping guns to yourself.  If that hasn't changed, it may be useful to find and print out the relevant policy (and relevant federal law) and take it in with you.   A printout from the internet may not change their minds, but it might just get them to look it up for themselves.

Good luck.

Yes, that gun with it's 10rd or less capacity is legal here in Joisey, though I would recommend you ship it to yourself rather than driving with it cross country. California or NJ, both have draconian gun control, but conceal carry permits in the State of California are still in the realm of possibility. According to records, there are approximately 70,593 (%0.2 percent of their population) CCW holders outside of law enforcement in California, as compared to our 1,800 (0.0012 % percent of our population). Both states suck, but California is slightly better on issuing conceal carry permits, while NJ is better on firearms selection and ease of purchase. Anyways, best of luck to you!