40 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is it illegal to posess my pistols in another apartment without an updated address? 

It is a Firearms Purchaser ID, so it has nothing to do with possession, it's about acquisition. (that said, having a FID gives you certain transportation privileges/exceptions).

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is it illegal to posess my pistols in another apartment without an updated address? 

A FPID is necessary to purchase rifles and shotguns.

A FPID is not necessary for purchase, for transport, to possess pistols.

A FPID is convenient (not absolutely necessary) to purchase pistol caliber ammo.

A FPID gives you certain transportation privileges of your rifles and shotguns (NOT pistols) outside the usual exemptions.

A FPID becomes invalid 30 days after you move and you have to go thru the whole process again.

This is a succinct list of all you need to know about your FPID

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

It is a Firearms Purchaser ID, so it has nothing to do with possession, it's about acquisition. (that said, having a FID gives you certain possession privileges/exceptions).

- Hey Tom a question for you - did you ever send your FID back to NJ?  Planning for our move next year and was curious.

Also assuming nothing wrong in Charleston County with bringing your 'toys' into town....

7 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

- Hey Tom a question for you - did you ever send your FID back to NJ?  Planning for our move next year and was curious.

Also assuming nothing wrong in Charleston County with bringing your 'toys' into town....

I no longer have my FID.  The laws down here are consistent with most of free America, so anything you have in NJ is more than good to go in SC.  No mag limits, no "evil features", etc.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WP22 said:

A FPID is necessary to purchase rifles and shotguns.

A FPID is not necessary for purchase, for transport, to possess pistols.

A FPID is convenient (not absolutely necessary) to purchase pistol caliber ammo.

A FPID gives you certain transportation privileges of your rifles and shotguns (NOT pistols) outside the usual exemptions.

A FPID becomes invalid 30 days after you move and you have to go thru the whole process again.

This is a succinct list of all you need to know about your FPID

Is there a spot where these exemptions are clearly listed?

47 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I no longer have my FID.  The laws down here are consistent with most of free America, so anything you have in NJ is more than good to go in SC.  No mag limits, no "evil features", etc.

Received - thank you .........

Anyone you can recommend in the MT Pleasant area for the CWP required training?

27 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Is there a spot where these exemptions are clearly listed?

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-6/

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.  For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Rules to transport them

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-6/

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Reasonable deviations clarified. 

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A145/2020

g.    Any weapon being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.  Reasonably necessary deviations shall include, but not be limited to, collecting and discharging passengers; purchasing fuel, food and beverages, medicine, or other supplies; using a restroom; or contending with an emergency situation.

3 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Looking to move to another town in nj. Is there a certain amount of time you have to change your address on fid? Is it illegal to posess my pistols in another apartment without an updated address? 

Here's a golden opportunity for a "Rosey Teachable Moment":

@Cheflife15 take yourself & your financial circumstance OUT of the question.  Meaning, pull yourself out of this equation, and then follow-along...

If you were a millionaire several times over, and owned more than one residence in NJ, could you have guns at each & every residence and or bidness you own?  The answer is YES, of course!  There's nothing in NJ's gun statutes that prevents you from owning half a dozen places of bidness and/or residences and having firearms at each & every one to patrol your perimeters with.  So if your NJFPID has ONLY a single address listed on it, I guess your question in bold just answered itself?  

When dealing with NJ gun law, it's always most wise to "pretend" you're a man made of money (or a woman Chef made of money?).  With multiple EXEMPT LOCATIONS from which to transport from.  Why?  Because SOME NJ gun owning residents ARE, and the SAME SET OF LAWS APPLY TO BOTH YOU & THEM!  And they can spread-out their 200-gun collections all over NJ's 21 counties, thereby always being en-route to an, you guessed it, EXEMPT LOCATION!

NJ gun law has its basis in Olde English laws dating back to before this great country was formed.  As such, property owners have MORE RIGHTS than the underclass.  If I maintain a residence (NJ gun law doesn't stipulate the number of hours, days, weeks or months one must sleep at each EXEMPT LOCATION btw) and my DNA is somewhere under that roof, I'm entitled BY LAW to be ARMED after I arrive there.   What constitutes a residence for tax purposes has no bearing on firearms law.  They're not reciprocal.

One word of caution:  To move hollow point bullets from old address (you no longer sleep at) to a new home or apartment, you must first stop at a private or commercial range---even if it's closed or you're NOT a member---and take a cell phone pic of all the evilness so the metadata contained therein can prove you took your "evil hollow points" for a ride to an ESTABLISHED EXEMPT LOCATION.  Because NJ law doesn't recognize "moving" as an exemption for hollow point possession!  So, at ZERO DARK THIRTY, take your HP's for a ride to any commercial range between apartment #1 & apartment #2, pop open your storage container(s) & take a pic with the range building in the background.  Yes, the range needn't be OPEN.  YES, you needn't be a member of said range.  Yes, NJ gun law is that stupid!  YES, someone had to be pardoned over it (Brian Aitken, author of Blue Tent Sky) by Governor Christie.

Studying the EXEMPTIONS & EXCEPTIONS in NJ gun laws while you pretend you're rich AND have multiple EXEMPT locations will result in many questions yet to be asked to have the answers for same fall into your lap :)   All you have to do is remember to take yourself & YOUR circumstance out of the equation & ask, "What would a multi-millionaire DO?"

Rosey

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

All you have to do is remember to take yourself & YOUR circumstance out of the equation & ask, "What would a multi-millionaire DO?"

They'd get the hell out of NJ.

Millionaires leaving NJ at an unprecedented rate

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

They'd get the hell out of NJ.

Millionaires leaving NJ at an unprecedented rate

Hahahaha!  Yiup, lol!  And they'd rent an apartment for 6 months just so they could avoid a steep "Exit Tax" too :) 

3 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Here's a golden opportunity for a "Rosey Teachable Moment":

And thank you very much for the lesson on NJ Transport, Dave!

Esp the hollow point part.

It should be in the permanent archives for all to read.

@Mrs. Peel, can you do something about that, please? Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WP22 said:

Don't have time to look that one up.

Does "go thru the whole process again" mean reapplying for another FID card at the new residence with finger printing, references and all that?

28 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

And thank you very much for the lesson on NJ Transport, Dave!

Esp the hollow point part.

It should be in the permanent archives for all to read.

@Mrs. Peel, can you do something about that, please? Thanks!

This. The hollow point ammo part is mindblowing. So i can have it ordered to my house but taking it with me while moving is essentially illegal. Who comes up with this shit

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Does "go thru the whole process again" mean reapplying for another FID card at the new residence with finger printing, references and all that?

Printing is strictly at the new Chief's discretion.

All the rest - YES as @Tunaman says.

ETA Just check the "Change of Address" block on the form.

And while you're at it, get some PPP too! Only $2 ea!

Just don't do a Zeeker and check the "Change of Sex" box on the form. :mosking:

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

This. The hollow point ammo part is mindblowing. So i can have it ordered to my house but taking it with me while moving is essentially illegal. Who comes up with this shit

@Cheflife15 Hollow points are treated same as hand guns transportation-wise.  You're legal to own & possess them at home, at the range, and in-between the two WHILE USING "DIRECTLY TO & FROM" transportation rule.  NO exemption for possession and/or transportation exists WHILE MOVING.  That being said, if you've already established a residence (receive a property tax bill in your name, a rent invoice, etc.), you can legally transport HP ammo BETWEEN ESTABLISHED RESIDENCES.  My multiple residence multi-millionaire example kicks-in.  Because each residence is an EXEMPT location, lol.  Aitken found out the hard way that moving is NOT an EXEMPTION.  So, that means you have several choices as to moving with hollow point ammo:

1.  Pump every last round of HP you own into the berm or backstop so you no longer own any.  Those Federal 36 gr. .22 LR HP's in that 525 round cardboard box count the same as .44 magnum Black Talon's.  And 7.62 x 39 Russian steel case HP's count too, lol!

2.  Make your ZERO DARK THIRTY "Run" as I wrote about previously by stopping briefly at any range, at ANY time (take your picture now like a good peasant), even though the range is closed or you ain't a member!  This doesn't include State WMA's where hand guns aren't allowed.  They close at dusk, are patrolled by NJF&W Cops  & you'd be a schmuck for trying :) 

3.  Ship the ammo to yourself at the new address that you're MOVING to.  Just be sure to print a label at your residence and not transport the evil ammo to a UPS or FedEx hub to send it to yourself.  Make THEM come & get it.  Cause the ammo is too evil to be trusted :) 

4.  Drive the HP ammo to your rented gun locker at a FFL you rent locker space from.  Deposit it THERE, and once you're "MOVED", go pick up those EVIL hollow points & transport them back to your new residence and/or any other EXEMPT location (I.E.: Range).

YES, some NJ firearms law is mind-blowing.  The "trick" is knowing the EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS and to stop reading the actual laws looking for "permissions" to do things with firearms.  For all firearms in NJ start out as being ILLEGAL in the hands of us mere serfs, and only exist with us their owners, through the use of those same EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS!

~R

10 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

@Cheflife15 Hollow points are treated same as hand guns transportation-wise.  You're legal to own & possess them at home, at the range, and in-between the two WHILE USING "DIRECTLY TO & FROM" transportation rule.  NO exemption for possession and/or transportation exists WHILE MOVING.  That being said, if you've already established a residence (receive a property tax bill in your name, a rent invoice, etc.), you can legally transport HP ammo BETWEEN ESTABLISHED RESIDENCES.  My multiple residence multi-millionaire example kicks-in.  Because each residence is an EXEMPT location, lol.  Aitken found out the hard way that moving is NOT an EXEMPTION.  So, that means you have several choices as to moving with hollow point ammo:

1.  Pump every last round of HP you own into the berm or backstop so you no longer own any.  Those Federal 36 gr. .22 LR HP's in that 525 round cardboard box count the same as .44 magnum Black Talon's.  And 7.62 x 39 Russian steel case HP's count too, lol!

2.  Make your ZERO DARK THIRTY "Run" as I wrote about previously by stopping briefly at any range, at ANY time (take your picture now like a good peasant), even though the range is closed or you ain't a member!  This doesn't include State WMA's where hand guns aren't allowed.  They close at dusk, are patrolled by NJF&W Cops  & you'd be a schmuck for trying :) 

3.  Ship the ammo to yourself at the new address that you're MOVING to.  Just be sure to print a label at your residence and not transport the evil ammo to a UPS or FedEx hub to send it to yourself.  Make THEM come & get it.  Cause the ammo is too evil to be trusted :) 

4.  Drive the HP ammo to your rented gun locker at a FFL you rent locker space from.  Deposit it THERE, and once you're "MOVED", go pick up those EVIL hollow points & transport them back to your new residence and/or any other EXEMPT location (I.E.: Range).

YES, some NJ firearms law is mind-blowing.  The "trick" is knowing the EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS and to stop reading the actual laws looking for "permissions" to do things with firearms.  For all firearms in NJ start out as being ILLEGAL in the hands of us mere serfs, and only exist with us their owners, through the use of those same EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS!

~R

Ok so to clarify, if i am just renting a room as a temperary location, ask for a receipt or documentation that i live there and im essentially good. I can leave my old address on my firearms id card (since I know the residences and can say i live there as well) .does this sound like im good to go?

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

A judge made it up on the Atkins's case once they figured out he was going to walk on all charges. The law itself is mute on the subject but that decision set the precedent  which is as powerful as the law.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ok so to clarify, if i am just renting a room as a temperary location, ask for a receipt or documentation that i live there and im essentially good. I can leave my old address on my firearms id card (since I know the residences and can say i live there as well) .does this sound like im good to go?

IANAL

What does temporary mean to you?  Weeks?  Months or years?  What does "know the residences" mean?  Or did you mean to type "I know the residents and can say I live there as well"?  Cause if you still live at address #1, even for a non-designated amount of time, then your NJFPID card will still be valid.  So you either flop there or you don't...

Where folks on this forum get into trouble is when they try to be coy about their situation(s), often leaving out the very particulars that weigh heavily and thereby affect the ultimate determination in the very answers they seek.

EXAMPLE:

"Hi all!  I'm in the middle of a separation & divorce.  I'm flopping at my brother's house on his couch.  My mail still comes to my house (where the soon-to-be-Ex still resides).  Do I need to tell the Cops I "moved temporarily" until I'm divorced & get my new place?  Do I need to file for a new Yellow Card?"

....same as above only kid is away at college.

.....same as above only kid is getting his/her own place.

.....there's always more examples.

~R

2 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

IANAL

What does temporary mean to you?  Weeks?  Months or years?  What does "know the residences" mean?  Or did you mean to type "I know the residents and can say I live there as well"?  Cause if you still live at address #1, even for a non-designated amount of time, then your NJFPID card will still be valid.  So you either flop there or you don't...

Where folks on this forum get into trouble is when they try to be coy about their situation(s), often leaving out the very particulars that weigh heavily and thereby affect the ultimate determination in the very answers they seek.

EXAMPLE:

"Hi all!  I'm in the middle of a separation & divorce.  I'm flopping at my brother's house on his couch.  My mail still comes to my house (where the soon-to-be-Ex still resides).  Do I need to tell the Cops I "moved temporarily" until I'm divorced & get my new place?  Do I need to file for a new Yellow Card?"

....same as above only kid is away at college.

.....same as above only kid is getting his/her own place.

.....there's always more examples.

~R

Ok so i moved home to help my mom and dad financially as they were struggling. Im getting engaged and thus moving out but I will be staying with a friend until me and the fiance buy a house. So i will be in essence renting a roon from a friend but i can say my address is the same. The important part was having my guns at the room where i am staying. 

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ok so i moved home to help my mom and dad financially as they were struggling. Im getting engaged and thus moving out

So i will be in essence renting a roon from a friend but i can say my address is the same. The important part was having my guns at the room where i am staying. 

I'd leave the firearms at mom and dads place.

Not worth the hassle and risk storing them in a rented room.

7 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Ok so i moved home to help my mom and dad financially as they were struggling. Im getting engaged and thus moving out but I will be staying with a friend until me and the fiance buy a house. So i will be in essence renting a roon from a friend but i can say my address is the same. The important part was having my guns at the room where i am staying. 

^^^THIS is exactly what I'm talking about.  Particulars.  Hidden particulars that directly affect good advice & decision-making!

Buying a house could take years to save for it.  When are you closing on the property or is this "temporary" thing not so temporary?

I still don't know where your Yellow Card comes back to...Mom & Dad's house?  Another address that's not the room you rent?  Getting engaged means not yet engaged.  Moving out means not yet moved out & still staying at Mom & Dad's?

See what I'm getting at?  Incomplete information, delivered one pulled tooth at a time.  It leads to incorrect advice.  It ALWAYS does...

If your DL & Yellow Card come back to Mom & Dad's, leave everything be until you get settled in your own place.  If not, then you need to tell me so I can give you the CORRECT way to proceed.  As we pull teeth together, lol! :) 

~R

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

^^^THIS is exactly what I'm talking about.  Particulars.  Hidden particulars that directly affect good advice & decision-making!

Buying a house could take years to save for it.  When are you closing on the property or is this "temporary" thing not so temporary?

I still don't know where your Yellow Card comes back to...Mom & Dad's house?  Another address that's not the room you rent?  Getting engaged means not yet engaged.  Moving out means not yet moved out & still staying at Mom & Dad's?

See what I'm getting at?  Incomplete information, delivered one pulled tooth at a time.  It leads to incorrect advice.  It ALWAYS does...

If your DL & Yellow Card come back to Mom & Dad's, leave everything be until you get settled in your own place.  If not, then you need to tell me so I can give you the CORRECT way to proceed.  As we pull teeth together, lol! :) 

~R

I have the money for a house, i only moved back to help them finish their last few years of payments. I plan on proposing in September abd purchasing a house around december/jan. In the mean time id sublet. I could leave my address and firearm card under the old address as thats a non issue (i paid a good portion of the house). I hppe this makes sense here. 

IANAL but it's all about access to the address that you claim as a residence. Do you have a key?  Do you get mail there?  Pay any bills there?  On a lease or deed?  I think that can qualify as a "residence".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, WP22 said:

A judge made it up on the Atkins's case once they figured out he was going to walk on all charges. The law itself is mute on the subject but that decision set the precedent  which is as powerful as the law.

Actually Lou Nappen put the law under a microscope looking for the phrase "While moving" IN THE EXEMPTION STATUTE and it wasn't to be found (because it doesn't exist)!  Where the Judge went wrong was not allowing the transportation EXEMPTIONS to be admitted in the trial.  Without the transportation exemptions, the Jury naturally found Aitken guilty as charged.  The Judge was admonished for his handling of the case as well as his "Charge of the Jury", which resulted in his quitting or being disbarred(?) ---not sure which---I would need to look it up.

To this day the "Moving Exemption" for hollow points doesn't exist, which is the reason for my "ZERO DARK THIRTY" diatribe :) 

11 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I have the money for a house, i only moved back to help them finish their last few years of payments. I plan on proposing in September abd purchasing a house around december/jan. In the mean time id sublet. I could leave my address and firearm card under the old address as thats a non issue (i paid a good portion of the house). I hppe this makes sense here. 

IANAL

Back "In the Day", before computers (and YOU) existed, folks with Yellow Cards fell in love & got married.  Sometimes away at college in a dorm for months at a time.  After they finished moving out of Mom & Dad's house, and settled down with their spouse, they did the "Official" address change for their Yellow Card.  ONCE!  Expecting visits and/or grandchildren, anxious parents didn't throw-out little Ralphie's bed, and little @Cheflife15 visited often to help with landscaping & other strenuous chores and gave Mom & Dad money for a vacation or two.  Everybody got along fine, the CLEO didn't know or CARE about the "arrangement", and life continued uninterrupted. 

THE END

Live your life, and enjoy your parents while they're still ALIVE.  I lost my Dad in Nov. 1982, when I was 23, and he didn't make it to my wedding or see any grandchildren.  You have your whole life ahead of you.  Keep yer nose clean & stay under the radar. 

• Like 1