manimgoindown

Want to build as much of a 10 22 before getting my FID as I can

Got my magpul stock
got my magpul mounts and slings. very cool, getting these two alone helped me know my sling for my seed/prep day. glad i invested in those things

interested in LR shooting and before i get my FID want to order 1)a bx trigger is my feeling but i'd like to try a few in person, but no shop in nj i know even carries the bx, i doubt they'd carry others for a 22 and 2) a nice barrel . Any suggestions for either one? I plan on ordering both online. I can order everything but the rreceiver withou an FID

I also wanted to know, if I order to an FFL, for legality/safety (ie they turn back something i'm not suppose to have), would they hand me say a trigger or barrel with just my driver's license and no FID, like a LGS would?

There is ZERO reason to order any of the accessory parts to an FFL - you will be wasting your time, their time, and their space for something that is legal to own.  And probably wasting extra money too, unless you have some agreement with an FFL.

Don't order a magazine over 10 rounds.  Keep track of the number of evil features, like threaded barrel and folding stocks and grenade launchers and bayonet lugs.  (You know, the real big problems in NJ - pretty sure my town loses at least two dozen people a night to drive-by bayonettings.)

The only thing that you should need an FFL for will be the receiver and possibly gunsmithing if required, or I suppose if you REALLY gotta have a 25rd magazine body and need it pinned to 10rd.

It is up to YOU to research what is legal if you are building a rifle once you can legally obtain that receiver. There are threads covering exactly what you can and can't have.  Start here:

32 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

There is ZERO reason to order any of the accessory parts to an FFL - you will be wasting your time, their time, and their space for something that is legal to own.  And probably wasting extra money too, unless you have some agreement with an FFL.

Don't order a magazine over 10 rounds.  Keep track of the number of evil features, like threaded barrel and folding stocks and grenade launchers and bayonet lugs.  (You know, the real big problems in NJ - pretty sure my town loses at least two dozen people a night to drive-by bayonettings.)

The only thing that you should need an FFL for will be the receiver and possibly gunsmithing if required, or I suppose if you REALLY gotta have a 25rd magazine body and need it pinned to 10rd.

It is up to YOU to research what is legal if you are building a rifle once you can legally obtain that receiver. There are threads covering exactly what you can and can't have.  Start here:

Will read the thread you referenced but holy balls thankfully you told me about the threaded barrel

Basically is there a <$300 barrel I could order that would scale well to long range shooting?

That's what i want to order right now and just get my sights up and practice my c cup trigger finger on

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ruger-10-22-replacement-barrel-prod25216.aspx?avad=263517_d1c017df9&aid=193421&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine

Or alternatively on their website

I do not own a 10/22, so I can't help much for trigger or barrel. I do know Lilja are supposed to be some top of the line barrels, but no idea if they are made for 10/22s, or if they are within budget if they are. Barrel I was looking up for my Anschutz woulda been $450+

The forum rimfirecentral may have a lot more people who can answer specific 10/22 questions.

What do you consider long range for .22?

Are you doing aperture sights of some sort, and if so, do the barrels you linked have a mounting point for the front sights? Bull barrels often do not have a front sight mount.

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

I do not own a 10/22, so I can't help much for trigger or barrel. I do know Lilja are supposed to be some top of the line barrels, but no idea if they are made for 10/22s, or if they are within budget if they are. Barrel I was looking up for my Anschutz woulda been $450+

The forum rimfirecentral may have a lot more people who can answer specific 10/22 questions.

What do you consider long range for .22?

Are you doing aperture sights of some sort, and if so, do the barrels you linked have a mounting point for the front sights? Bull barrels often do not have a front sight mount.

i've read around 300yards 

this is my first gun so im not sure i can eve nanswre your second question as i dont know the fatures i want. i do need to mount an optics

11 minutes ago, manimgoindown said:

That's a lot to ask of a .22 LR, but I admit I have no direct experience trying to stretch one out that far.  Nor am I likely to try.

I've seen the occasional 200 yard .22 LR match advertised, but they seem rare.   100 yard a bit more common.  Lots of 50 yard and 50 meter events, at which the .22s do fine.

16 minutes ago, manimgoindown said:

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

That's a lot to ask of a .22 LR, but I admit I have no direct experience trying to stretch one out that far.  Nor am I likely to try.

I've seen the occasional 200 yard .22 LR match advertised, but they seem rare.   100 yard a bit more common.  Lots of 50 yard and 50 meter events, at which the .22s do fine.

I have read in several places that shooting a .22 at 300 yards is the equivalent of shooting a .308 Winchester at 1000 yards. Doable, but difficult to get consistent patterns (and certainly not a task for a windy day). I've only shot a borrowed .22 at 200 yards for one range session (thanks for the borrow, @Malice4you!) and as I recall, I was getting some on paper, but even at that shorter distance, getting a tight group felt near-impossible. I think it would take a lot of practice!... and 300 yards, even more practice!

Honestly? @manimgoindown - certainly explore the limits of your gun, but I think you just stumbled upon the perfect excuse to start saving for a high-powered rifle to complement your .22 lr - and to keep it company in the safe - because guns need buddies, too, you know!  ;)

• Agree 1

I don't want to pi$$ in your cornflakes, but a 10/22 at 300 yards is not something to just start out with. If this is the type of shooting you want to participate in, then your research needs to start here...

https://nrl22.org/

And you should thoroughly research before you start dumping money into a rifle. You are putting the cart before the horse, or trying to run before you've learned to walk, and any other applicable cliches.

This is a sport (Long Range Rimfire) that is gaining traction in the firearm community. As the Precision Rifle series grows in popularity, it is natural for it drag along a rimfire counterpart. Not everybody has access to a 600 yard (or longer range), or can afford to build a $3K plus rifle with a $2K plus optic. The rimfire rules have an open class where cost is no object, but they also have a class that has a dollar amount limit that you can spend on the gun and optic.

You really ought to see if any of these Long Range Rimfire matches are accessible from where you live. Next order of business is to attend one of their competitions and ask questions and learn. Do your research first, and then worry about building a gun. The way you are going now may find you with a lot of money invested in a gun that is worthless for what you want to do with it.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manimgoindown said:

this is my first gun so im not sure i can eve nanswre your second question as i dont know the fatures i want. i do need to mount an optics

300 yards will be a challenge, not gonna lie.  Whatever scope you'll be using will need plenty of elevation adjustment range, and you'll need at least a 25MOA rail I would assume.  The way you worded it, it sounded like you were going to use a non-magnified type of sight.  The one time I have shot a .22 at 200yd (thanks to Mrs. Peel!), my 16x mil-mil scope on 0moa bases put me just a hair under 8 full mils down from my 100yd zero.  A .22 standard velocity round will typically drop in excess of 16 feet at 300 yards (and 4 of those feet are in the last 25 yards).

This is something I made for myself to fairly quickly get myself on paper at ranges I'd typically use my .22s at.

swfa16x.jpg

That blue line about .45 mils below the crosshairs is where I needed to aim using my 100yd zeroed .223rem rifle for 200yds (that's a little over 13" drop)

I know you are excited to get started, but I think you do need to slow down a little and do further research before you start spending money on other parts which may or may not help you in your quest. 

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I have read in several places that shooting a .22 at 300 yards is the equivalent of shooting a .308 Winchester at 1000 yards. Doable, but difficult to get consistent patterns (and certainly not a task for a windy day). I've only shot a borrowed .22 at 200 yards for one range session (thanks for the borrow, @Malice4you!) and as I recall, I was getting some on paper, but even at that shorter distance, getting a tight group felt near-impossible. I think it would take a lot of practice!... and 300 yards, even more practice!

Honestly? @manimgoindown - certainly explore the limits of your gun, but I think you just stumbled upon the perfect excuse to start saving for a high-powered rifle to complement your .22 lr - and to keep it company in the safe - because guns need buddies, too, you know!  ;)

Mrs. Peel is being modest.  She did very well without even factoring in that she had to use a borrowed rifle which doesn't fit her particularly well, and that neither of us had any serious experience shooting at 200 yards.  While neither of our groups were sub-MOA, with some more trigger time,  I can imagine those groups shrinking a bit.  Especially when it's her rifle set up and fit properly for her.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I know you are excited to get started, but I think you do need to slow down a little and do further research before you start spending money on other parts which may or may not help you in your quest. 

Agreed.  I think what everyone is saying here is you may want to rethink your long range ambitions with the Ruger 10/22 (and anything .22 LR based) because it isn't really the right platform for it.  It's a fine rifle, just not for "long range" shooting.

If you are intent on a 10/22, the BX trigger is a great upgrade from factory for only about $60.

I have 2 and my only 'complaint' about them is that they would not make the 3 pound trigger pull necessary to be legal for CMP Rimfire Sporter matches. I had to change the trigger return spring (inside the trigger guard, behind the trigger blade) with one from a spent butane lighter to make weight!

And on the subject of 300yds with a 10/22: better you than me! I really don't need to raise my frustration level!!

If you are going to go with aperture iron sights, take a look at https://www.tech-sights.com/

In combination with a https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/ar15-m16-ar10-sr25-crosshair-hooded-duplex/ it makes for an unbeatable iron sight package for target work with a 10/22

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I would also point out that while the 10/22 is a great platform, most competitive rifles at those distances are bolt guns. 

Agree.

I'm a big fan of the 10/22, but IMO the OP is setting himself up for a lot of frustration if long distance/precision shooting is the goal.  PARTICULARLY if you're talking about going past 100 yards, the 10/22 is in no way ideal.

Hell, to even see your hits on paper at 100+ yards you're have to spend thousands on optics (rifle scope and spotting scope).

I think getting started on the 10/22 makes a lot of sense, but if long range shooting is the goal I'd spend less money pimping out the 10/22 and put the savings towards a bolt rifle in a more suitable caliber. 

For example, you could pick up a Savage Axis II in .223/5.56 and put a $500 scope on it and you'd be good to go to 500+ yards.

• Agree 2

I get the appeal of the challenge of a .22 at 300 yards. Currently both my precision .22s (bolt guns) are set up for 100yd zero, and using hold over/unders, I feel confident I can get on paper with first shot at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. With a 25MOA base, I could probably do 300yd with some practice, but would need steel gongs and/or a good spotting scope. So I get the appeal, and I get it can be a fun challenge. I just think you gotta work on getting things right at closer ranges first. If your groups are 6" at 100 yards, the only way you are gonna reliably get hits at 300 yards is on a huge 3x3' target.

A 10/22 can be a good platform, and a fine gun to start with, but gotta learn to walk before you can run...

• Agree 1

Well guys I'm not looking to shoot out with the max distance, or hit 1000 yards, but if I can invest in a good 22 to learn the fundamnetals of marksmanship, and with a good NJ legal barrel (w/o an FID) that's what I would order right now. A barrel and a trigger.  The trigger is personal (i think something 5lb would be better for me as I'm a bigger guy and 2lb is very subtle a queeze) so it would be nice to know if any NJ LGS have them to try IN PERSON

Kidd and Green Mountain seem like good brands, wonder if someone can suggest something that is NJ mail safe, because barrels seem kind of complicated (threaded no muzzleflash stopper) etc

A stock "out of the box" Ruger 10/22 is good to go as-is, and as many have mentioned a fine firearm.  I appreciate your eagerness and enthusiasm but why not wait to get some experience with it under your belt before trying to customize it?  You will either validate what you are planning now or find out that your initial choices weren't really what you wanted.

• Agree 1

If you are looking to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship with a 10/22, I can think of no better way then to take an Appleseed course https://appleseedinfo.org/

You can upgrade your 10/22 to what they call a Liberty Training Rifle following the instructions here: https://appleseedinfo.org/pdf/LTR.pdf (basically install a sling, upgrade to Tech sights, add a quick mag release). 

I've been to three of these so far and get a little better each time. I have not earned my Rifleman's patch yet (63 year old eyes have a tough time with iron sights, but I am determined to do this without optics). Although there are seldom events in NJ, there a quite a few in PA and MD that you can attend. It'll be the best $65 you ever spent to improve your shooting. 2 days, over 500 rounds down rage, and a ton of fun. 

And njJoniGuy - I just ordered the KNS front sight for the next time. Thanks for the tip!

3 hours ago, manimgoindown said:

Well guys I'm not looking to shoot out with the max distance, or hit 1000 yards, but if I can invest in a good 22 to learn the fundamnetals of marksmanship, and with a good NJ legal barrel (w/o an FID) that's what I would order right now. A barrel and a trigger.  The trigger is personal (i think something 5lb would be better for me as I'm a bigger guy and 2lb is very subtle a queeze) so it would be nice to know if any NJ LGS have them to try IN PERSON

Kidd and Green Mountain seem like good brands, wonder if someone can suggest something that is NJ mail safe, because barrels seem kind of complicated (threaded no muzzleflash stopper) etc

Do you have any serious amount of time behind a rifle? You are making assumptions that I'm not sure you should be making without having trigger time. A precision rifle likely does not have a 5 pound trigger pull, and I would hazard a guess that many are sub 3 or even 2 pounds.

Even the cleanest, smoothest, crispest breaking trigger ever is not gonna help you with long range accuracy if it is set to 5 pounds, as far as I am concerned. My two .22s are set to 12-14oz and the other I can't measure, but the trigger is capable of 2-8oz pull and I know it is on the low end of that range.  Obviously these are for bench shooting, not for field use.

I don't know how the 10/22 trigger or barrel attach exactly, but typically those go on/into the receiver (as does the scope), so not sure how you will be practicing much of anything. Also, certain triggers need the gun to be properly assembled to not damage components, so things like firing the trigger could cause problems since there are no parts to interact with like normal.

Again, i get it, the wait sucks, not having everything sucks, and we are raining on your parade telling you everything but what you want to hear. You would be FAR better off asking if you can go shooting with someone and buy ammo from them so you have a little *actual* experience to base your wants and needs off of.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

.17hmr would be my 300 yard gun. Cz has a .22/17 switch barrel. That’s what ya want.

Zeke do you have any idea what the wind does to a 17 gr projectile (or even a 20 gr one) at 100 yards, let alone 300?

5 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Do you have any serious amount of time behind a rifle? You are making assumptions that I'm not sure you should be making without having trigger time. A precision rifle likely does not have a 5 pound trigger pull, and I would hazard a guess that many are sub 3 or even 2 pounds.

Even the cleanest, smoothest, crispest breaking trigger ever is not gonna help you with long range accuracy if it is set to 5 pounds, as far as I am concerned. My two .22s are set to 12-14oz and the other I can't measure, but the trigger is capable of 2-8oz pull and I know it is on the low end of that range.  Obviously these are for bench shooting, not for field use.

I don't know how the 10/22 trigger or barrel attach exactly, but typically those go on/into the receiver (as does the scope), so not sure how you will be practicing much of anything. Also, certain triggers need the gun to be properly assembled to not damage components, so things like firing the trigger could cause problems since there are no parts to interact with like normal.

Again, i get it, the wait sucks, not having everything sucks, and we are raining on your parade telling you everything but what you want to hear. You would be FAR better off asking if you can go shooting with someone and buy ammo from them so you have a little *actual* experience to base your wants and needs off of.

This.

Respectfully OP, you don't know what you don't know.

Getting ANYTHING (trigger, stock, etc) prior to getting behind a rifle makes no sense. 

A 10/22 is a fantastic gun for you to start on.  After you get a lot of trigger time behind it you can modify it to your heart's content based on the way you shoot the gun.

Ordering anything before that introduces way too many variables that could impact your fundamental development.

• Agree 1