petmic10

New Member - FID Card/Permit Wait Question

New member here. First time gun owner to be. I'm in the process of getting my FID card and 2 permits. I completed the online application on June 15th. My fingerprinting was done on July 1st and I was approved by the state(njportal) on July 15th. The email from the state says,  "DO NOT APPEAR AT THE APPROVING POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY IT'S PERSONNEL TO RETRIEVE YOUR DOCUMENTS." It's been a week and no word from them yet.  Everything has gone smoothly up to this point considering the Pandemic. 

What is the typical wait time from state approval to local police finalizing ID cards and permits?  

18 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I'm still waiting as well.  After that approval from the state, it goes over to the local PD to do additional checks.  I would wait about a week and call your local PD asking about it.  They may be able to give you a better timeline.

What additional checks? 

My two references were called and my job was also called to check my employment status. 

Could there be more than that? 

Thanks for the reply.

17 minutes ago, petmic10 said:

What additional checks? 

My two references were called and my job was also called to check my employment status. 

Could there be more than that? 

Thanks for the reply.

There are additional checks into your history - domestic violence, juvenile records, family court, etc.  

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

What got you interested in obtaining a FID and firearm?  

I actually just wrote an article regarding the delays, etc.  

Nice article. Well said.

The current situation in our country has finally pushed me to obtain a firearm. Violence is on the rise and I need to protect my home and family. I have three other co workers who are also in the process. I drove one for fingerprinting yesterday and another has an appointment for fingerprinting tomorrow. All first time gun owners.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, petmic10 said:

Nice article. Well said.

The current situation in our country has finally pushed me to obtain a firearm. Violence is on the rise and I need to protect my home and family. I have three other co workers who are also in the process. I drove one for fingerprinting yesterday and another has an appointment for fingerprinting tomorrow. All first time gun owners.  

I don't know what background you or your coworkers have, but I do highly stress that you go for some training on basic firearms safety, handling, and definitely get some practice in!

You're one of the many who have come to see the situation as it is now.  You see what we have to go through as well - it's not what the media makes it out to be where you can just "order a gun over the internet" or any of that nonsense.  We're constantly fighting to keep our rights here in NJ - I hope you and your co-workers help join in on the fight so that we have the right to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I don't know what background you or your coworkers have, but I do highly stress that you go for some training on basic firearms safety, handling, and definitely get some practice in!

You're one of the many who have come to see the situation as it is now.  You see what we have to go through as well - it's not what the media makes it out to be where you can just "order a gun over the internet" or any of that nonsense.  We're constantly fighting to keep our rights here in NJ - I hope you and your co-workers help join in on the fight so that we have the right to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

We plan on taking a gun safety training course once we get our schedules in sink. Also, I plan on hitting the range in the near future and rent a couple of guns to see what I like before purchasing. I have always been a proponent of the 2A even though this will be my first firearm. Heck, I would love to be able to carry if I could. Hopefully one day. 

Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of guns for my first purchase. Something easy to handle.

I narrowed down to following:

1. Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9EZ(top pick for me)

2. Sig P320X Compact

3. H&K VP9 or VP9SK

4. Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0 

21 minutes ago, petmic10 said:

We plan on taking a gun safety training course once we get our schedules in sink. Also, I plan on hitting the range in the near future and rent a couple of guns to see what I like before purchasing. I have always been a proponent of the 2A even though this will be my first firearm. Heck, I would love to be able to carry if I could. Hopefully one day. 

Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of guns for my first purchase. Something easy to handle.

2. Sig P320X Compact

3. H&K VP9 or VP9SK

Sounds like CNJFO may be a group you want to look into - https://www.cnjfo.com/

CNJFO was formed to eliminate "justifiable need" in New Jersey and to advocate for lawful, safe and responsible firearms ownership in New Jersey.  CNJFO's mission is to "Support the Second Amendment Through Education and Awareness. "

Of those guns - your best bet may be the Sig P320 Compact and the HK VP9.  You really do want a full size gun as your first.  Subcompact guns like the M&P Shield and VP9SK are relatively punishing when you shoot them, as they're smaller and lighter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petmic10 said:

2. Sig P320X Compact

3. H&K VP9 or VP9SK

The Smith 9mm EZ definitely fits the bill for ease of operation.   I bought the .380 EZ right before the 9mm EZ was introduced. I should have waited, but the price was just too good to pass up and my PP was about to expire. The M&P Shield has a heavy recoil spring, more felt recoil and dosen't make sense in N.J. where concealed carry is not allowed.

The .380 EZ I have is a non-thumb safety model. If I get the 9mm EZ one day I'll probably go with the thumb safety version.  

Generally, I don't like a thumb safety on defensive handguns. However, the EZ is internal hammer fired with a very light, short take up trigger (around 5 lbs. or less) so the thumb safety is important, that or S&W should increase the trigger pull weight.  

Otherwise, its like having a .380 1911 with a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety off, only worse because you can't see the EZ's internal hammer.

Not knocking the EZ at all , just something to be aware of.

My main defensive handgun is the S&W SD9 for several reasons I won't go into here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bomber said:

The Smith 9mm EZ definitely fits the bill for ease of operation.   I bought the .380 EZ right before the 9mm EZ was introduced. I should have waited, but the price was just too good to pass up and my PP was about to expire. The M&P Shield has a heavy recoil spring, more felt recoil and dosen't make sense in N.J. where concealed carry is not allowed.

The .380 EZ I have is a non-thumb safety model. If I get the 9mm EZ one day I'll probably go with the thumb safety version.  

Generally, I don't like a thumb safety on defensive handguns. However, the EZ is internal hammer fired with a very light, short take up trigger (around 5 lbs. or less) so the thumb safety is important, that or S&W should increase the trigger pull weight.  

Otherwise, its like having a .380 1911 with a round chambered, hammer cocked and the safety off, only worse because you can't see the EZ's internal hammer.

Not knocking the EZ at all , just something to be aware of.

My main defensive handgun is the S&W SD9 for several reasons I won't go into here.

Thanks for the input. I may hit the range this weekend and rent the EZ to see how it feels in my hand. I hear it's very comfortable and easy to shoot.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, petmic10 said:

Violence is on the rise and I need to protect my home and family. I have three other co workers who are also in the process. I drove one for fingerprinting yesterday and another has an appointment for fingerprinting tomorrow. All first time gun owners.  

Thats what makes all the panic buying different this time.

A lot of purchasers are people who never thought they needed a firearm because the police would always be there to protect them.

What are the stats and demographics of your co-workers in the FID process and what industry? I guess you're all using each other as references.

12 hours ago, Bomber said:

Thats what makes all the panic buying different this time.

A lot of purchasers are people who never thought they needed a firearm because the police would always be there protect them.

What are the stats and demographics of your co-workers in the FID process and what industry? I guess you're all using each other as references.

We are all middle class. We work in sales. I'm the youngest of the group at 50. The oldest is 70 and the other two are in the mid 50's. First gun for all of us and yes we are using each other as references. 

This is the #1 reason. Better to have and not need than need and not have. 

"A lot of purchasers are people who never thought they needed a firearm because the police would always be there protect them.

"

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, petmic10 said:

First gun for all of us and yes we are using each other as references. 

Thats good.

It can be awkward asking non-gun owners permission to use them as references for the FID.

At least it was in the past, these days maybe not so much. They might even say; Hey thats not a bad Idea, how do l apply?    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, petmic10 said:

Got the call today from my local police department my FID card and permits are ready. Picking them up tomorrow.  42 days from start to finish. Not bad considering the pandemic. 

Congrats.

I just want to echo what was mentioned up thread.

Get a full sized something for your first handgun.  I have some small ones that I carry when in Florida, but they aren't really that much fun to shoot.  I practice, but keep it to minimum, they tend punish your hand over time.   I can shoot my H&K P30 all day long though and I usually have to force myself to stop after 200 rounds! 

Stay away from hand cannons until you're comfortable.   I own a couple .44 magnums and first shot a .44 over 30 years ago.  I still don't tend to shoot more than 30 rounds at a range session.  It's fun, it's loud but 200 rounds?  Ooof.  Sore wrist for sure.

• Like 1

So I went to the gun store today and purchased a 9 EZ with a manual thumb safety. It felt comfortable and fit perfectly in my hand. At first glance I thought the grip safety might be a problem but after holding the gun I didn't even know it was there.  I could rack the slide with two fingers. The stock sights are acceptable but I'm already looking at better sights(HIVIZ). lol As a first time gun owner I wanted something easy to use and not very intimidating to handle. This fits the bill for me. They told me it would be a 4 to 5 day wait for the NICS check due to Covid. 

I have a second permit so I will be back in a month or two for something else. 

They did have a Troy A4 in stock that got my attention. What a nice looking rifle. I may go broke if I spend too much time in the gun store. :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, petmic10 said:

So I went to the gun store today and purchased a 9 EZ with a manual thumb safety. It felt comfortable and fit perfectly in my hand. At first glance I thought the grip safety might be a problem but after holding the gun I didn't even know it was there.  The stock sights are acceptable but I'm already looking at better sights(HIVIZ).

I have Hi-Viz sights on my SD9, they are only Hi-VIz under good lighting. Low light situations or at night they aren't much use.

Remember not to depress the grip safety even slightly when removing or replacing the slide.

9 hours ago, Bomber said:

I have Hi-Viz sights on my SD9, they are only Hi-VIz under good lighting. Low light situations or at night they aren't much use.

Remember not to depress the grip safety even slightly when removing or replacing the slide.

Thanks for the advice. I've read some horror stories about people depressing the grip safety while removing the slide and causing all kind of problems. 

I've been looking at TruGlo sights also. They seem to be better for night use. 

10 hours ago, petmic10 said:

They did have a Troy A4 in stock that got my attention. What a nice looking rifle. I may go broke if I spend too much time in the gun store. :D

You won't be disappointed with it..

We put 1000 rounds through in an hour - no issues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

You won't be disappointed with it..

We put 1000 rounds through in an hour - no issues

Why not just a regular AR with an actual stock? A 14.5 barrel with a perm attached brake is not much bigger that these “other” guns.

2 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Why not just a regular AR with an actual stock? A 14.5 barrel with a perm attached brake is not much bigger that these “other” guns.

I had that same mentality at first - then I realized I can adjust the brace to length so it's easier to adjust for multiple people.  Plus - I can have whatever muzzle device I want (and even throw on a Suppressor in free America).  

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I had that same mentality at first - then I realized I can adjust the brace to length so it's easier to adjust for multiple people.  Plus - I can have whatever muzzle device I want (and even throw on a Suppressor in free America).  

I guess I never looked at it from a sharing perspective. And in that case it makes sense, in NJ

On 7/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, petmic10 said:

So I went to the gun store today and purchased a 9 EZ with a manual thumb safety. It felt comfortable and fit perfectly in my hand. At first glance I thought the grip safety might be a problem but after holding the gun I didn't even know it was there.  I could rack the slide with two fingers. The stock sights are acceptable but I'm already looking at better sights(HIVIZ). lol As a first time gun owner I wanted something easy to use and not very intimidating to handle. This fits the bill for me. They told me it would be a 4 to 5 day wait for the NICS check due to Covid. 

Just to update, I'm still waiting on my gun. I tried calling yesterday and it went straight to voice mail. I'm assuming they lost power as others did due to the tropical storm that tore through most of New Jersey yesterday. :( I will try calling again today.