GT998

Silencer mount muzzle brake

Hi everyone I am looking to add a muzzle brake that accepts a blast shield for indoor ranges but which I can take off for outdoor shooting.  I like the Yankee Hill Machine shields which can mount on some of their brakes or a version that can mount on brakes from Griffin, Silencerco, etc.  My question is once a brake like this is pinned to the barrel, is it considered a threaded barrel?  my barell is 16" without the muzzle device by the way.  For example, this Griffin Paladin will take the shiled below it from YHM

Taper Mount Paladin®, 2 Port Brake

Adaptable Blast Deflector

Just guessing here - and you don't want to hang your hat on that - once the brake is pinned and welded it becomes the barrel. Therefore, if it is threaded to accept a blast shield, you are back to having a threaded barrel. I believe the statute has wording to the effect that if it is threaded to accept a flash hider, it is illegal. The blast shield you are proposing to use could easily be construed to be a flash hider - even though that was not the intent.

I'd err on the side of caution - stick with a brake alone. If you want one that is "friendly" to those around you, look for one that has forward angled ports.

JMO - IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

Just guessing here - and you don't want to hang your hat on that - once the brake is pinned and welded it becomes the barrel. Therefore, if it is threaded to accept a blast shield, you are back to having a threaded barrel. I believe the statute has wording to the effect that if it is threaded to accept a flash hider, it is illegal. The blast shield you are proposing to use could easily be construed to be a flash hider - even though that was not the intent.

I'd err on the side of caution - stick with a brake alone. If you want one that is "friendly" to those around you, look for one that has forward angled ports.

JMO - IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There are some blast shields or concussion mitigating attachments which do not use threads to attach. The VG6 CAGE comes to mind. I've always viewed them as kosher, but I, like you, am not a lawyer.

VG6 Cage device, as mentioned above, or the Surfire SOCOM brake which accepts the Warden blast shield.  Neither require threads.  The surefire setup is awesome IMO.  One of the best brakes on the market and the Warden definitely eases the concussion.

Thanks guys, I am familiar with the VG6 and Surefire.  I should have mentioned this will be 7.62x39 and the VG6 cage is not designed for the pressures of this cartridge otherwise that's the way I would have gone.  The Warden is a bit pricey, which is why I wanted to know what the actual law was.  I think you can fit suppressors to the Surefire brake as well so wouldn't that make the thread issue moot?

I was also looking at the KAK blast converter but that will offer less flexibility though it does have 3 position adjustment

KAK BLAST CONVERTER 5/8-24 - 30 CAL