Nam Le

Question about PA public shooting ranges

It's not in NJ but I hope someone here has been shooting there and can help to answer my question:

Regarding PA Carbon & Lehigh ranges:

Do we need to bring our own target stand/frame, or if there are enough stand/frame that we can just put our paper target on?

It's 2 hours drive and I just don't want to go back without shooting because there's no target stand.

Much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Nam Le said:

Regarding PA Carbon & Lehigh ranges:

Whose ranges are they? Public - pay to play? Private club - membership or guest of a member? Or are they a PA Game Commission Range? The PGCR's require that you either have a PA hunting license or have purchased a range permit...

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/StateGameLands/StateGameLandsRanges/Pages/Permits.aspx

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

28 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Whose ranges are they? Public - pay to play? Private club - membership or guest of a member? Or are they a PA Game Commission Range? The PGCR's require that you either have a PA hunting license or have purchased a range permit...

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/StateGameLands/StateGameLandsRanges/Pages/Permits.aspx

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for your reply and sorry if my topic wasn't make it clear when I say "about PA public shooting ranges".

Yes I meant the game commission ranges.

Also do you have info on the target frame/stand rather than the permit?

52 minutes ago, Nam Le said:

Also do you have info on the target frame/stand rather than the permit?

The only PGC range that I am familiar with is the Scotia range in Center County and they do have target stands and backer boards at the range. I can't say the same is true at all PGC ranges.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

7 minutes ago, Nam Le said:

Looking good.

But the cost to build that is roughly $35 while this base is also $35, just missing two 1x2x6.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hyskore-target-hound-portable-target-stand?a=2198993

I'm buying that one and will write a review once I get it.

Sportsmans Guide puts their Buyer's Club price as the advertised price - look at the non-buyer's club price - it's $40.  Plus shipping.  

2 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Sportsmans Guide puts their Buyer's Club price as the advertised price - look at the non-buyer's club price - it's $40.  Plus shipping.  

Right. I have membership there though. Membership is cheap and quite useful for some ammo purchases recently.

Order > $45 is free ship.

But yeah, of course DIY is always the most cost effective.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, InFamous said:

I built my own. Similar to this one but all PVC pipes I cut to 18" and added a piece to the back of it also. 

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/how-to-build-a-pvc-target-stand/

Here's mine. 

20200311_132801.jpg

What case is that??  Looks like you have it setup to carry multiple handguns in the same case?

3 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

What case is that??  Looks like you have it setup to carry multiple handguns in the same case?

I can't remember where I purchased it. Someone posted a deal on here 2-3 years ago on it and a bunch of us purchased them. It's pull and pluck foam so you can configure it any way you want. I have mine set to hold 4 handguns and 16 mags. I'll see if I can find the post about it. 

11 hours ago, Nam Le said:

Looking good.

But the cost to build that is roughly $35 while this base is also $35, just missing two 1x2x6.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/hyskore-target-hound-portable-target-stand?a=2198993

I'm buying that one and will write a review once I get it.

I built the 2 of them for just under $60 with a few spare parts for when the inevitable bullet shatters a piece lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, InFamous said:

@eyeinstine I can't find it on here, it may have been a discussion on FB. Either way it's a Member's Mark case from Sam's Club. It was just  under $30.

thanks for the info!

Did a little more research and found the same case(s) at harbor freight.. With the perpetual 20% off coupon, puts the same size case as yours at 30$..   :good:

https://www.harborfreight.com/apache-protective-case

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

thanks for the info!

Did a little more research and found the same case(s) at harbor freight.. With the perpetual 20% off coupon, puts the same size case as yours at 30$..   :good:

https://www.harborfreight.com/apache-protective-case

Field Supply has some similar ones.  May be a little smaller.

https://www.fieldsupply.com/gear/gun-cases-field-boxes/megilla-6700-12-waterproof-drybox-case-black.html

• Like 1

For NJ's Clinton WMA, I made a couple target stands out of 2x3s.  A single stand should take 3 2x3s, a small box of 2.5" deck screws, and a large piece of cardboard to hang targets on.

My first two I made, I used a few lag bolts for base and Kreg screws/pocketholes for rest, but that is unnecessary.  I also had some large galvanized nails I was gonna use to hold the legs in place, but after seeing how sturdy these have been, I've never needed em.  I used a few super large galvanized nails to hang reactive targets like chunks of wood off the side of the stand (second pic). 

As long as you have some sort of tape measure, drill, and saw, you can make these things dirt cheap, and they fit in the back seat of (my) car.  Because they are two piece, you can transport and store them easier.  The original two I made in 2018 have taken a few hits from new shooters with a .22 and/or .17HMR and are still intact with the original wood pieces.  Long as you don't use wood glue or strip the heads of (or shoot) the screws, it should be as simple as removing 4 screws to replace any single piece of wood.  I chose the size for my stands based on holding two letter pieces of paper.

targetstand_plan.jpg

targetstands.jpg

The second one on the right is a scaled down version from the one in the above plans.

• Like 1

Hi. I am assuming you are referring to the Pennsylvania state gameland ranges (SGL).  They have large wood framed stands with a rubber-type backing that you can attach your paper target to.  I am pretty sure that they do not allow any other type of target stand.  They do require a range pass which lasts for a year and costs $31.

2 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Hi. I am assuming you are referring to the Pennsylvania state gameland ranges (SGL).  They have large wood framed stands with a rubber-type backing that you can attach your paper target to.  I am pretty sure that they do not allow any other type of target stand.  They do require a range pass which lasts for a year and costs $31.

Yeah thanks.

I already got the pass and the guns... now only need to make myself willing to drive 2 hours without knowing if it will be overly crowded.

Perhaps I will try it next weekend.