70gto

What I learned today practicing for IDPA class

SO ,yesterday A friend who is also registered for MR. Stu's IDPA intro class went shooting to knock some off the rust off. I left thinking this.

1. Its very easy to miss a 8 inch circle target at 10 yards.

2. There is no such thing as too much practice

3. When you think you got it down , you are just figuring out you dont know Sh&t.

4.. I waited an hour to shoot, due to crowds, whatever BS is going on out there is getting very real, the place was loaded with people you would never see at the range before.

5.. The gun and ammo shortage is very real.

6. Shooting the course with a glock 19 is very possible but you better practice.  I Told my friend Im looking at the glock 34 for this and future events and he said something I have no answer for , which still goes round as a philosophical exercise in my head. Its defensive pistol right? He said im gonna shoot what I carry. That my friends is the truest statement I ever heard. Even though the 34 is designed for competition, I would never ever carry one but I do carry the 19 and the 43. So? whats more important to try and win ? Which I believe everyone that does something should strive to learn and excell in, or work with something  that may give one an edge but would never practically use outside the range? I know its a silly exercise in mental gymnastics .

my 1 cent for today

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Side note - I have been saying this for years - and usually taking shit for it on this very forum. 

Carry what you shoot the best - not what’s easiest to hide, or lightest on your belt, or most comfortable against your hip/stomach. On the worst day of your life, do you really want “I wish I had my _______ that I shoot the best and am most confident in my abilities with out of all of my guns, instead of this pocket/subcompact/compact pistol that I never train with and shoot mediocrely at best.” Running through your mind?

• That being said, a G19 is doable for everything you want it to do. You can compete and carry easily. 

• On the other hand - with the right belt, holster, and a slight wardrobe adjustment, you can easily and comfortably carry a G34/35 With RDS and X300U 24/7 all year long. Plenty of people do. Hell - bad  guys routinely carry and hide full-size guns 24/7. Why are good guys so adverse to this?

Personally, I shoot a G34 the best. I shoot my G19 just marginally worse - but a RDS on both guns makes them almost equal. I used to carry the G34 With X300U all the time. Now I occasionally carry the G34 but - thanks to the RDS - 90% of the time I have a G19 with TLR7a and Holosun 508T. BUT - I am at the point with having RDS on both guns and shooting both guns A LOT - that when I carry the G19 I do not feel underprepared or like I have a worse performing option. I am 100% confident in my abilities with the G19.

Now, you just need to decide which direction you you want to go from now forward.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Where did you practice?  I want to get some range time in but it’s tough getting more than 30 minutes. 

on a side note, I just took the 101 HG class at TTC to become a member at SCFGPA and put all my limited shots on target.  Even had the RO compliment me saying I had nice form...