grazzie

Over 10 round magazine question

Back when they became illegal, I sent my over 10-round magazines to a friend living in Florida to get them out of my possession. What if these over 10- round magazines where disassembled and separated? Is that still illegal to possess only a part of a mag? At the moment, I don't want to loose/sell my these mags in case I move out of state as they cost a pretty penny and I'm afraid my friend in FL will eventually loose or misplace them. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

New Jersey calls it constructive intent.  Having all the components in your possession to construct an illegal weapon or magazine.

How do I know this?  I pay attention and learn the rules so as not to become Bubba's playmate!  Is that a good enough answer?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grazzie said:

Thanks. So I can have some, but not all. Right?  How did you know that info? Is it documented in the law?

Common sense.

By definition, the mag must be able to feed ammo into a firearm. If a part is missing, it won't work.

Also, you can't possess all the parts spread in different locations that you have access. If you could, everyone would have a disassembled machinegun.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, grazzie said:

... and I'm afraid my friend in FL will eventually loose or misplace them. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Locate a more reliable friend or family member?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Watch out for constructive intent in NJ. If your friend still has the mags, either send them to a service like gunsitters to store the mags in PA, or send him the mag blocks and corresponding epoxy to permanently block the mags to be able to send them to you legally. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

Watch out for constructive intent in NJ. If your friend still has the mags, either send them to a service like gunsitters to store the mags in PA, or send him the mag blocks and corresponding epoxy to permanently block the mags to be able to send them to you legally. 

Yes. He still has them. Thanks for the advice.

5 minutes ago, grazzie said:

Yes. He still has them. Thanks for the advice.

If he can still reliability still hold on to your mags, consider ordering some more standard capacity mags for him to hold on too, like AR mags. You never know what the future holds.

4 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

If he can still reliability still hold on to your mags, consider ordering some more standard capacity mags for him to hold on too, like AR mags. You never know what the future holds.

I would consider that as well. Good point. It's easy if I order online. Just use his address for the shipping address.

6 minutes ago, grazzie said:

I would consider that as well. Good point. It's easy if I order online. Just use his address for the shipping address.

Yep that is what I do. I have a storage unit with Gunsitters located with Elite tactical academy in Easton, PA.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PK90 said:

Common sense.

By definition, the mag must be able to feed ammo into a firearm. If a part is missing, it won't work.

Also, you can't possess all the parts spread in different locations that you have access. If you could, everyone would have a disassembled machinegun.

Hold on, constructive intent by NJ definition applies to assualt weapons, not magazines..

Unless I missed something I dont think constructive intent applies by statutory definition.

• Like 1

I shipped my 15 round rifle magazines to my cousin in Texas. If Duncan v Becerra goes our way (It DID!) and makes its way to the SC (we'll see), I'll buy a bunch of standard-capacity magazines in celebration. In the meantime, my cousin can use the 15 round mags as beater mags at the range. (I think they have essentially no value, otherwise.)

My >10 round pistol magazines reside with my daughter in Pennsylvania. If Duncan v Becerra (etc), or if I buy a house in a free state (increasingly likely), I'll retrieve them. If not, they are in a box addressed to my cousin in Texas.

The problem with paid storage is that it the cost can soon exceed the value of the contents.

Do you have a friend/relative in Pennsylvania?

22 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

How far do you have to dig until you're out if NJ?

Less than 300 yards if you dig horizontally. Welcome to PA. (For the time being.)

BTW, here's how to apply for an LTCF in my PA county.

Note the URL: permitium.com