I'm somewhat new to this forum and was curious if the below law has been addressed by the forum readers yet.  I find the below law particularly troubling, as it seems to be a 'catch-all' law. I would be curious as to how this was discussed by the legislative body.  As written, the statute is too broad.  From the below code, a "firearm component" could be a screw. Further, it places limits upon "how" instead of "what" part is manufactured, which supports the fact that the law is arbitrary and not rooted in a legitimate purpose.  This is akin to a law that states that marijuana is illegal if grown with artificial lighting - but otherwise, legally grown.  The use of the word "facilitating" makes the statute even more onerous.

WIth this law in place, problems develop for anyone wishing to make parts utilizing a 3D printer -- parts which are entirely legal to purchase.  Arguably, it is reasonable to perhaps have a law that prohibits the 3D manufacture of a lower receiver *without* a serial number, but to restrict 3D printing of a magazine (5 rounds, 7 rounds, or 10 rounds) or a "firearm component" is entirely unjustified.  I've seen a great many discussions on many varied topics but to me this law is among the most troubling in this state.  In essense, if not challenged, it will provide a gateway to forthcoming additional laws that may be equally -- perhaps, more-- unjustified in other areas of New Jersey's firearm laws. 

§ Sec. 2C:39-9(l). Manufacturing or facilitating the manufacture of a firearm using a three-dimensional printer. In addition to any other criminal penalties provided under law it is a third degree crime for:
(1) a person who is not registered or licensed to do so as a manufacturer as provided in chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes, to use a three-dimensional printer or similar device to manufacture or produce a firearm, firearm receiver, magazine, or firearm component;

14 hours ago, NJ2ARights said:

WIth this law in place it leads to problems for anyone wishing to make parts utilizing a 3D printer -- parts that are entirely legal to purchase

Yes that is exactly the intent of the law, regardless of how hard it would be to prove in the case of 3D printing a screw vs buying one already manufactured.  It’s pretty clear - if you use a 3D printer to make any component of a firearm, you break the law in NJ.

Lets hope this is as far as they go. In NY there is legislation pending that would ban the act of assembly itself (3D printer or not) unless you are a licensed gunsmith