Sniper

Second-quarter GDP plunged by worst-ever -32.9% amid virus-induced shutdown

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

Wish I could say I feel bad for them, but they have been price gouging for years. Used to be an average family could afford a trip to Disney. Now they are all about the Benjamins. Disney has a bigger economy than some countries. 

The increase in the cost of everything is beyond ridiculous.  We love going to Disney, but the price increases over the last few years has dimmed that enthusiam.

12 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

The increase in the cost of everything is beyond ridiculous.  We love going to Disney, but the price increases over the last few years has dimmed that enthusiam.

The conundrum is that with an on-property Disney vacation costing upwards of $10,000+, the people that actually enjoy and want to go to Disney can't afford it (so they wind up financing it through debt , and the people who can afford it are more likely to go to more exclusive destinations (eg. Caribbean) and skip Disney altogether.  I think there will need to be a structural change in their business model or the lay off of thousands of people yesterday will be just the tip of the iceberg.

21 minutes ago, geekLa said:

The conundrum is that with an on-property Disney vacation costing upwards of $10,000+, the people that actually enjoy and want to go to Disney can't afford it (so they wind up financing it through debt , and the people who can afford it are more likely to go to more exclusive destinations (eg. Caribbean) and skip Disney altogether.  I think there will need to be a structural change in their business model or the lay off of thousands of people yesterday will be just the tip of the iceberg.

our family went 1.5yrs ago and spent close to 14k and agree, would much rather have an over the top trip than do that again

also, most of those employees are dem and they support people who killed their jobs.  their issue now......

cold maybe but the reality is this; your vote matters

23 minutes ago, geekLa said:

I think there will need to be a structural change in their business model or the lay off of thousands of people yesterday will be just the tip of the iceberg.

Also remember, they furloughed about 70,000 back in the Spring, it's unclear if these newly laid off are part of that group. Many that were furloughed still haven't been called back to work.

6 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

just open up fully and if needed, wear masks.  enough is enough

You can open up all you want. You can’t make people show up. I expect that they own a cruise line isn’t helping their numbers. 

I can’t see spending $1k a day minimum for my family of three to just wait in line all day. Or you can upgrade to the waiting less package for double. But still expect to spend most of your day in line. 

• Like 1

There are ways to do Disney and there ways not to do Disney...

Those that do go and enjoy the entirety of the experience, it is not just parks...get the most benefit

I have been as many as five and as little as two times a year for the past, 15 years with my family.

We did the vacation club route and it has worked nicely along with season passes.

One off trips if planned badly, can result in increased costs, line standing and a less than enjoyable time.

138ish days till i get back....  cannot wait.

Prices have increased over the years, especially the food and wine festival, i have been to almost all 13/15....  but if you strategically plan, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg.

One trick....  don't pay with the magic band...that is a no brainer.

9 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

One trick....  don't pay with the magic band...that is a no brainer

why is that?  B/c people lose track of their expenses?

we’ve taken our kids to Disney 7 times in theIr fairly short lives.  Each time has been enjoyable and relaxing, especially as they got older - no need for strollers or stuff like that.

last time we went we used the the bands and found it convenient 

46 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

why is that?  B/c people lose track of their expenses?

we’ve taken our kids to Disney 7 times in theIr fairly short lives.  Each time has been enjoyable and relaxing, especially as they got older - no need for strollers or stuff like that.

last time we went we used the the bands and found it convenient 

Exactly my point...most people lose track...and spend spend spend...

That's the problem....then they complain when the bill comes due.

Disney got better and better as the kids got older and older...at least for us.

It works this way, you either love disney or you hate it...it is very hard to find an in between.

Well, this should leave a mark...

...."American Airlines and United Airlines will start furloughing more than 32,000 employees on Thursday after talks for a national coronavirus aid package failed in Washington, but both carriers say they are prepared to reverse course if a stimulus deal is reached.

Airlines aren’t just shedding workers through forced cuts. Tens of thousands of employees have accepted buyouts and temporary leaves of absence, lowering airlines’ labor bills.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/30/american-airlines-moves-ahead-with-19000-furloughs-but-will-recall-workers-if-cornoavirus-aid-deal-reached.html

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Well, this should leave a mark...

...."American Airlines and United Airlines will start furloughing more than 32,000 employees on Thursday after talks for a national coronavirus aid package failed in Washington, but both carriers say they are prepared to reverse course if a stimulus deal is reached.

Airlines aren’t just shedding workers through forced cuts. Tens of thousands of employees have accepted buyouts and temporary leaves of absence, lowering airlines’ labor bills.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/30/american-airlines-moves-ahead-with-19000-furloughs-but-will-recall-workers-if-cornoavirus-aid-deal-reached.html

and how many of them vote dem?

I feel nothing for them to be honest, they supported the left that hung them out to dry for nonsense

Based on current data, things aren't heading the right direction. The "V" recovery is looking more like a "W" recovery. New jobs are heading the wrong direction. More important, total continued claims is still around 26 million, not good.

106727307-1601642267037-20201002_nfp_net

...."Nonfarm payrolls rose by a lower than expected 661,000 in September and the unemployment rate was 7.9%, the Labor Department said Friday in the final jobs report before the November election.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been expecting a payrolls gain of 800,000.

“The issue is momentum, and I think we’re losing it,” said Drew Matus, chief market strategist for MetLife.

The decline in the unemployment rate came along with a 0.3 percentage point drop in the labor force participation rate to 61.4%, representing a decline of nearly 700,000. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/02/jobs-report-september-2020.html

4 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

stop, this looks bad only due to seasonal or one time adjustment jobs like census taking.  

There were seasonal change of jobs in July and August?

This is why I posted the chart, so you can see the trend line, and NOT one month of data.

What about the 26 million still out of work (for 6 months)? Seasonal?

From my link:

...."“Permanent jobs losses rose by more than 300,000. That’s not a good thing. The labor force participation rate declined, which pulled the overall unemployment rate down. That’s not a good sign, either,” said Kathy Jones, head of fixed income at Charles Schwab. “We’re looking at state and local government layoffs, we’re looking at a higher level of permanent job losses and more people leaving the workforce. None of that is good for the long run.”