gleninjersey

Great Price On Full Synthetic 5W-30 For Those Who Do Their Own Oil Changes!

This won't last  Advance Auto has this on clearance. 

Before any discounts the 5 quart jug are $10.49 and the 1 quart bottles $2.49.

Use discount code "WIKI25" for 25% off online purchases.

I ordered ten 5 quart jugs last night and picked them up today.  Used the 20% last night when ordering (before I knew about the WIKI25 coupon code).  $8.49 per 5 quart jug!

I just ordered ten 1 quart bottles with the 25% off code.  $19.91 for all ten!  $1.99 a bottle!

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/shell-rotella-gas-truck-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart-550050319/11986954-p?product_channel=local&store=2015&adtype=pla&product_channel=local&store_code=2015&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpZT5BRCdARIsAGEX0zlFcaCEl1Umkg_AYuzOFWhXx_AzuIOHLYQBSsNmHjpZksjFXS6zHaEaAsGSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

When I picked it up I asked why it was on clearance. 

I was told that evidently people are under the assumption this is only for trucks.  And some think only diesel trucks (18 wheelers).  Even though it say "Gas Truck".  It's good for any vehicle that uses 5W-30.

If you've ever watched Project Farm (YouTuber that compares various different products) he compared this to similiar Mobile 1 (Advanced Full Synthetic) and it outperformed Mobile 1 in every category he tested.  I've used Mobile 1 to do oil changes and it usually cost about $20 - $30 for a five quart jug.  Most other full synthetics are around the same price.  The price on the Shell Rotella is a STEAL!!

Here's the review.  Happy shopping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=hTyrc1zjKEA&fbclid=IwAR0I36V6Y9VVt4Sk0wTbFSHHIQzrIC0woeZquF5px5ZY2v7aj71dCfcg9to

5w20 was on sale too! Hot dang! 

Rotella is good stuff for sure! 

I might have just cleaned out the last of the 5w30 and 5w20 at the rt 23 sussex store. That was massive savings!

not sure why but i couldn't get any of the discount codes to work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

5w20 was on sale too! Hot dang! 

Rotella is good stuff for sure! 

I might have just cleaned out the last of the 5w30 and 5w20 at the rt 23 sussex store. That was massive savings!

not sure why but i couldn't get any of the discount codes to work?

Discount codes never apply to motor oil at Advance.  The price is great but no free oil filter.  If I buy the oil plus the $15.99 for the K&N filter, I'm at around $27. If I get Mobil one with the free K&N filter, it's about 7 bucks more.  Great deal though if you are not picky about the filter like I am! :)

that is good deal but I’m not likely for me to switch brands. I use a Valvoline Semi Sync & Mobil 1 full sync in our vehicles (including my HD)and Castrol conventional in my small engines.  For those don’t have a favorite brand or don’t care that is a great price

14 minutes ago, FXDX said:

that is good deal but I’m not likely for me to switch brands. I use a Valvoline Semi Sync & Mobil 1 full sync in our vehicles (including my HD)and Castrol conventional in my small engines.  For those don’t have a favorite brand or don’t care that is a great price

FYI - This outperformed Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.  Check out the independent comparison video I linked above.

26 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

FYI - This outperformed Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.  Check out the independent comparison video I linked above.

I like the way he used the Kilowatt meter to measure resistance and the oil race at the end.   May have to dump the Mobil 1

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, FXDX said:

I like the way he used the Kilowatt meter to measure resistance and the oil race at the end.   May have to dump the Mobil 1

You might like their oil for bikes too. No idea who thought of it, but the rotella t6 stuff is supposed to be great. So much cheaper too than marked up oil for bikes. I switched over from the valvoline twin.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

Discount codes never apply to motor oil at Advance.  The price is great but no free oil filter.  If I buy the oil plus the $15.99 for the K&N filter, I'm at around $27. If I get Mobil one with the free K&N filter, it's about 7 bucks more.  Great deal though if you are not picky about the filter like I am! :)

I already buy my filters off amazon in bulk for like 7 bucks each. The auto parts places of all places always have the highest prices. 

Homedepot sells mobile1 pretty cheap when its on sale. Even Amazon had 6 packs for 26 bucks, I just used the last of that. So I never even think about buying oil at these places let alone free filters. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

You might like their oil for bikes too. No idea who thought of it, but the rotella t6 stuff is supposed to be great. So much cheaper too than marked up oil for bikes. I switched over from the valvoline twin.

Thanks I'll look into it. I was using Mobil 1 V-Twin for the Harley then I switched to Valvoline after reading the reviews. One reviewer stated shifting was smoother after the switch to Valvoline, I was thinking yea sure and didn’t believe it at first but he was correct.  I had one case left of Mobil 1 so switched back to it just to use it up.

After seeing the review glen posted I’ll give the Shell a try in one vehicle next.  My Ford uses 05w-20 and our Toyota uses 0W-20. Toyota is next for a change so I checked the inventory at local store for Shell 0W-20 and they only have quart size but $2.50 a pop isn’t bad and I could use the extra stock. Synthetic or not, in the cars I still change at 5K even though some say could go up to 10K. Even now with the covid limiting our miles driven I have no regrets about doing a low mile oil changes.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post!!  I just picked up 9 of the 5 qt jugs from the Browns Mills store. 6 of the 5-30w and 3 of the 5-20w. I was able to use the 25% coupon code buying online too..  9 jugs of full synthetic (11.25 gallons!) out the door with tax for 73$..  unbelievable!    

• Like 1

Yes, I grabbed 19 quarts last week and already did one change. I need 6.4 quarts for each change so that reason for the odd total. Meant to post this earlier, the ALL container is what I use to bring the old drained oil to the recycle center. I think the car likes it so thanks again.

change.thumb.jpg.09bc31e06fadede1a7917ac4c8be53ea.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Thanks for the post!!  I just picked up 9 of the 5 qt jugs from the Browns Mills store. 6 of the 5-30w and 3 of the 5-20w. I was able to use the 25% coupon code buying online too..  9 jugs of full synthetic (11.25 gallons!) out the door with tax for 73$..  unbelievable!    

Sonofabitch. 

Why didn't the damn coupon work for me!

On 8/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, JackDaWack said:

Sonofabitch. 

Why didn't the damn coupon work for me!

There are two codes.  20% off and 25% off.  20% is from Advance Auto.  Should be displayed at top of the screen.

The 25% I got from a Facegroup grouo I'm in.  Both worked for me.

Try calling their customer service number and see if they'll apply either one if them and credit you back the difference.  I actually had to cancel one order (store didn't have quality computer said they had on hand) that I used the 25% off and forgot to use it on new order.  Customer service helped me out and applied the discount.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Unfortunately it's the wrong viscosity.  Both of my cars now take 0W-20.

Actually, it looks like they have some in 0W-20 but only in the 1 quart bottles.  May still be worth it if not to far from you:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/shell-rotella-gas-truck-0w-20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-1-quart-550050310/11986952-P?searchTerm=Shell Rotella® Gas Truck 0W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart

6 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

As long as it's the recommended viscosity (5W-30, 5W-20, etc) for your vehicle you'll be fine.

Thank you @gleninjersey!  I just picked up 9 more 5qt jugs for a total of 17.  My wife thinks I'm crazy! I She said "No more oil"!  I reminded her of how she told me "no more guns" and "no more bullets" some 30 years ago and how I never listened to her then, and I won't listen to her now! 

Both her Nissan Murano and my Infiniti G37 use 5W-30 so this is a no brainer!  She finally gave her blessing on the oil but still says I have enough guns and ammo!  She will never learn and I don't care since I do what I want to. I always tell her "he who dies with the most toys wins!"  I win!  End of story!:mutley:

• Agree 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, gleninjersey said:

This won't last  Advance Auto has this on clearance. 

Before any discounts the 5 quart jug are $10.49 and the 1 quart bottles $2.49.

Use discount code "WIKI25" for 25% off online purchases.

I ordered ten 5 quart jugs last night and picked them up today.  Used the 20% last night when ordering (before I knew about the WIKI25 coupon code).  $8.49 per 5 quart jug!

I just ordered ten 1 quart bottles with the 25% off code.  $19.91 for all ten!  $1.99 a bottle!

I don't know what made me think about this.  I still have several of the large 5 quart jugs sitting in my basement and probably half a dozen or so of the regular one quart bottles.

Holy crap!!  The price is now $66.49 if you order from Wal-mart and "only" $42.99 at Advance Auto for the 5 quart jugs.  Which is interesting because back in Summer of 2020 they had it on clearance because I was told "Nobody is buying it because they think it's just for trucks.'

So glab I loaded up on it!!  Let's Go Brandon!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I don't know what made me think about this.  I still have several of the large 5 quart jugs sitting in my basement and probably half a dozen or so of the regular one quart bottles.

Holy crap!!  The price is now $66.49 if you order from Wal-mart and "only" $42.99 at Advance Auto for the 5 quart jugs.  Which is interesting because back in Summer of 2020 they had it on clearance because I was told "Nobody is buying it because they think it's just for trucks.'

So glad I loaded up on it!!  Let's Go Brandon!!

I remember that deal well....I still have about 20 of the 5 qt jugs in my shed today!  It works just fine in my car!:)

• Agree 1