Anyone who has done some tactical firearms training has heard about the Miami Shootout or Firefight.  I've heard trainers cite it on many occasions as an event that caused the FBI to re-examine their ammo and weaponry.  Two bad guys (Platt and Matix) had been on a bank robbing spree, when they were cornered by eight FBI agents.  In the ensuing battle, Platt and Matix were shot multiple times, but lived long enough to kill two FBI agents, and wound five others, three of them seriously.  Ed Mireles, who was  seriously wounded in his left arm, ended up operating his pump shotgun with one hand to bring an end to the fight.  His first-hand account describes in gripping detail what happened on that fateful day.  

I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious about his training, particularly those interested in hearing about the horrors of being in a real life gunfight, and how this particular one influenced the FBI and by extension, law enforcement throughout the U.S. 

It's available on Amazon, or directly through Mr. Mireles' website.  He was kind enough to send me a signed copy, and included his business card with it.  When I dashed off an email to him, he sent me a prompt reply.  

www.edmireles.com