45Doll

The New ATF 4473 - Seen It? - Maybe You Should

I know we've discussed the new 4473 before. And yes there's the new 'Binary' sex option. How nice. But today someone pointed out to me a layout change as well, and I don't remember this being discussed before. Take a look. At the bottom of the post I'll point out what I'm referring to.

1963132993_Form44732020.thumb.jpg.4b43cf2e4b39562dae01a6905ea46591.jpg

Wasn't the firearm listing section previously on Page 2, as in turn-it-over? Why, yes it was. Now why do you suppose they moved that section forward to the top of page one?

Perhaps so that when it's received it can be scanned in one move, optically read, and then plugged into a database? After all, it does say PLEASE PRINT.

47 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Always said print. Tin foilers believe it is for easy copying. Does it really matter? I don't like as it only has space for 3 guns. 

Yes, it did always say PRINT. But it's not tin foil to notice that when all the info you want is in the same image it's easy to optically scan, recognize characters, digitize and shove into a database.

Having to turn the page, scan a second image, and then locate both sections and do the same thing is tougher. But the really hard part is getting the scanning done with the previous form. You couldn't sheet feed it, and you'd need a lot more manual labor.

Also tougher when you multiply by approximately 3,000,000 forms a month. As we're now seeing.

And no, it won't matter. Until they pass a law demanding gun registration. Retroactively.

Changes coming again to the 4473 in April 2023.

Item 1, Section A is changing now that the ATF created the term “privately made firearms” (PMF) in Final Rule 2021R-05F. The rule was created in response to President Joe Biden’s demand that the ATF regulate so-called “ghost guns. The old Form 4472 had no option for PMFs.

Section B is also getting two new disqualifying questions. Answering yes to either question will mean the prospective buyer cannot legally acquire the firearms.

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/12/atf-form-4473-changing-next-year/#axzz7nSwXE4AB

On 8/2/2020 at 6:06 PM, 45Doll said:

Having to turn the page, scan a second image, and then locate both sections and do the same thing is tougher. But the really hard part is getting the scanning done with the previous form. You couldn't sheet feed it, and you'd need a lot more manual labor.

There have been scanners that cover both sides of multiple pages for years and OCR has been around even longer.  

43 minutes ago, BigGuns said:

Changes coming again to the 4473 in April 2023.

Jesus Crisco!!  Could they make the language any more confusing.

Fuk'n government doublespeak.  I remember a time, maybe the 80s,  when there was a law saying government publications had to be understood at an 8th grade reading level.