Malsua

Isaias - Sump pumps ready?

Looking at the latest guidance, Isaias seems primed to run right up our gullet.

Most of Jersey is pegged at 3-4 inches of rain and Parts of North Jersey could get from 5 to 6 inches of rain.

The wind field isn't going to be a big deal, but make sure you're ready to deal with a surge of water.

Should arrive on Tuesday and rain through Wednesday.   

• Agree 1

The moisture prediction moved to the west a bit in today's guidance.  It can still dump a bunch of water and with the elevated winds with gusts up to 50mph, it'd certain be prudent to have your gensets ready.  NJ is still right in the path of this thing.

The moisture is still the biggest issue with this storm.  Someone is getting a LOT of water.   The downside is that the further west it goes, the stronger the winds will be for us since the NE quadrant tends to produce the highest winds.

Just make sure all the garbage in your yard is secured.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Malsua said:

The moisture is still the biggest issue with this storm.

That should be interesting. I looks, based on predictions, it's going to be moving pretty fast. In 12 hours, it will go from the VA/NC border almost to MA, so it might not have a chance to drop a whole ton.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

That should be interesting. I looks, based on predictions, it's going to moving pretty fast. In 12 hours, it will go from the VA/NC border almost to MA, so it might not have a chance to drop a whole ton.

Models suggesting a big hit, pretty fast.   Shrug.   All I'm saying is be ready if you need to.  A wobble either way gives us more wind or more rain.   Gusts up to 70 with a lot of water. 

This isn't another Sandy or Irene.   It could however mimic a Floyd or maybe Lee?  I dunno.  It's going to be here in 24 hours and dump some water.   Best not to be surprised by it is all.

pivotal.png

6 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

Bulleit Rye? - Check

Sierra Nevada Beer? - Check

Pork Roll? - Check

Pineapple for the Crock Pot? - Nope

I am ready to rock.

:facepalm: beer choice awesomeness!

ribs go in the crockpot.

pineapple goes on the meatloaf on the grill.

@DirtyDigz goes to hawt yoga to meet chics.

dont screw it up again 

When we built this house on the edge of the hill I made sure a 4" drain pipe ran from the gravel base under the concrete basement floor, under the foundation footing, and out to the edge of the hill. A giant gravity drain. No flood issues here.

The proof was in the early 00's when we had that giant rainstorm that sat over Sussex County and dropped something like 18" of rain in less than 36 hours. That pipe was gushing water but the basement was dry.

Now loss of electric might be different story. We are plagued with it up here since we're at the end of about an 18 mile primary feed. The generator stands ready.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

When we built this house on the edge of the hill I made sure a 4" drain pipe ran from the gravel base under the concrete basement floor, under the foundation footing, and out to the edge of the hill. A giant gravity drain. No flood issues here.

The proof was in the early 00's when we had that giant rainstorm that sat over Sussex County and dropped something like 18" of rain in less than 36 hours. That pipe was gushing water but the basement was dry.

Now loss of electric might be different story. We are plagued with it up here since we're at the end of about an 18 mile primary feed. The generator stands ready.

If you can run footing and leader drains to “ daylight “ your in awesome shape. Can’t always happen.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Zeke said:

If you can run footing and leader drains to “ daylight “ your in awesome shape. Can’t always happen.

Right you are Z! Our first house at the bottom of a hill had two sump pumps that ran continuously even with 1" of rain. So when I had an 'opportunity' I took it.

Follow up. When we had that 18" dump in the 00's, about 12 hours in I said to my wife 'I wonder if there's any water coming out that pipe'. So I walked out back and then over toward the hill slope. And as I was walking I heard this foreign sound. 'What's that?' I thought.

Oh yeah... that's the sound of water GUSHING out of the pipe!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Right you are Z! Our first house at the bottom of a hill had two sump pumps that ran continuously even with 1" of rain. So when I had an 'opportunity' I took it.

Follow up. When we had that 18" dump in the 00's, about 12 hours in I said to my wife 'I wonder if there's any water coming out that pipe'. So I walked out back and then over toward the hill slope. And as I was walking I heard this foreign sound. 'What's that?' I thought.

Oh yeah... that's the sound of water GUSHING out of the pipe!

Ya. @Mr.Stu it’s not my first time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter Goldwing said:

We had no wind or rain  last night here in central Fl near Daytona. I made zero preparations

My house in The Villages got 20 minutes of a downpour.   Then the sun was back out.  Just a bit breezy.

Generator started on the first pull.  

Have plenty of gas, propane for the grill, charcoal for the smoker, bourbon, and beer.  

The house is at the top of a hill-water drains away in all directions.  And we had the two giant-but-dying ash trees next to the house removed last month.

Bring it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

So my trip home from work, there were trees down on every road and I couldn't get to my house.   All roads closed.   I parked and walked.

Lots of wind up this way.  Rain was heavy, but not crazy.  I'll go look at the rain gauge, I guess 2 in

14 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Had what seemed like a tornado here in Burlco.  Lost a few smaller trees and tree-sized branches from the big ones. 

So it’s a conundrum. Do I really care about my soon to be old house... insurance 

• Haha 1

I measured 4.5" of rain in the bucket since midnight. A good soaking but not a flood.

Looks like the wind was a much bigger problem. Right now over 60% of JCP&L customers have no power.

For once in this century, we're not one of them!

16 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I measured 4.5" of rain in the bucket since midnight. A good soaking but not a flood.

Looks like the wind was a much bigger problem. Right now over 60% of JCP&L customers have no power.

For once in this century, we're not one of them!

1.3 million without power in NJ.  2000 in Bridgewater, but besides a couple of blips and brownouts we're good.

Several tree branches down - will need to deal with a couple of trees I think.

Confirmed tornado in Ocean county

https://nj1015.com/tornado-touches-down-in-south-jersey-as-isaias-hits-state/

1 hour ago, mustang69 said:

Hope you're all safe.  Here in NH we're getting absolutely nothing, and we really need the rain...

Yup. Only getting about .25" of rain up here. We definitely need the rain but I dont want to have to mow my lawn so im torn

Pretty much every tree that was gonna come down came down in my neighborhood last November after the ice storm. We lost power for maybe 5 minutes, which tells me they were probably out fixing something on the main line already. I had the genset ready to go, but i'm always happy to just put it back in the shed. 

This spring they did a lot of tree cutting near the main lines too, which im very appreciative of.