Malsua

Isaias - Sump pumps ready?

Tornado touched down in Marmora. Drove home during the worst of it. Lots of large branches down. Everyone in the area has no power. Just filled up my gas can for the lawnmower and offered it to my neighbor to keep his generator going if he needs it. Atlantic City Electric has no timetable for return of service. 

6 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

We got maybe 1" of rain, didn't even need to pump any out of the pool. Wind was worse, if we didn't get a piece of that tornado, it was really close. I saw the clouds spinning, and two neighbors across the street and one next door all had trees that were 12" in diameter, snapped in half. Two ended up in the street, and it took a bucket loader from the town, to move them out of the way. This was the worst damage in the neighborhood, so it will be interesting to see if it was actually part of that tornado.

Been without power since about 1 PM.

Lost power in denville before 11am which was weird because not much going on then. Spent 4 hours on OT clearing the roads. The clean up will take days. Taking a personal day tomorrow just to clear up my property and hook up the Genny to run the whole house. I think it will be days before we see power.

4 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Amazingly our section of Vernon has power...for now..

My section of Highland Lakes has been without power since about 1pm. 

Still on the generator now.   I saw SREC said it could be as late as late Thursday before we're back.  It said most should be back by 11pm Wednesday.

The generator is fine, I checked the oil Monday night, it was clean and new, so I don't foresee any issues.  I'll probably check the oil tomorrow night when I get home from Work if it's still running.

• Agree 1

Still 570,000 down with JCP&L. Still good here.

For those of you that are not JCP&L customers, or don't know about their Outage Map, have a look.

My fairly long road is fed from both ends and they don't meet in the middle. Looks like the other half of my road is out.

I am in Middletown. Lost power at 11:30am yesterday. Came back at about 1:30pm. However was not stable for the first 30 minutes. By that point, had just prepped my generator and had it at the ready.

At about 8:00pm suddenly lost power again. Wtf?   Put the generator into action by 9:00pm and ran essentials off of that over night.  Woke up at 6:00am and power was back and stable. Generator (a Honda EU3000)was still running in Eco mode but gas tank by that time was almost empty. Total runtime on a full tank in Eco mode and a modest load is approx 9-10 hours.

p.s. Every 2 months since buying the gen eight years ago, I take It out and run it for 30 minutes with a small load on it. Gives me confidence it will work when I really need to rely on it.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

For those of you that are not JCP&L customers, or don't know about their Outage Map, have a look.

My fairly long road is fed from both ends and they don't meet in the middle. Looks like the other half of my road is out.

you should look at it by county.  the picture it paints is ugly.

what the fuck happened to JCP&L's shit, such that such a massive widespread outage happened.

6 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

How long can Mobile One synthetic sit in an unused genny before it should be changed out?  If levels are checked and it’s sparkling clean, can it sit for years and be ready for action?

Pretty much, yes, fine.

It will get some moisture in it that should boil out pretty quick.  All oil degrades over time, the issue is, how long is that time, how exposed is the oil to the elements?  In an engine crankcase, the answers, for the most part are a LONG LONG time since it's not really exposed.

Is it ideal?  Of course not.  Is it going to be a problem, assuming liquid water wasn't dumped into the crankcase?  Probably not.

This is why most lawnmowers these days recommend exactly zero oil changes for the life of the mower.   The wheels will fall off before the engine oil is an issue. (do add oil if it's low though)

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

1 hour ago, jm1827 said:

Lost power around noon yesterday, still no word on when it will be back.  On the JCP&L map it shows 99.09% of our town without power.

Im not sure what the deal is with their outage map, its been pretty accurate in the past, but this its showing my entire area is out, but it isnt. There are three outtages on my street listed, but we all have power. Im not sure what the deal is. We all have buried power lines, so its either all or none. 

30 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Pretty much, yes, fine.

It will get some moisture in it that should boil out pretty quick.  All oil degrades over time, the issue is, how long is that time, how exposed is the oil to the elements?  In an engine crankcase, the answers, for the most part are a LONG LONG time since it's not really exposed.

Is it ideal?  Of course not.  Is it going to be a problem, assuming liquid water wasn't dumped into the crankcase?  Probably not.

This is why most lawnmowers these days recommend exactly zero oil changes for the life of the mower.   The wheels will fall off before the engine oil is an issue. (do add oil if it's low though)

Funny stuff... Valvoline doesn't even put a shelf life on their synthetic oil, yet mobile 1 says only 5 years. I would be interested to know what in the mobile one is "going bad" in a 5 year period when stored in a sealed container. These oils last a long time at significant temps, so storing in a garage at 80 degrees should be no issue, especially sealed. 

If it were in a machine, it really cant hurt to change every couple years if it's low use. I just change it every time i have to use the genset since we end up running it for a few days straight. 

9 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Im not sure what the deal is with their outage map, its been pretty accurate in the past, but this its showing my entire area is out, but it isnt. There are three outtages on my street listed, but we all have power. Im not sure what the deal is. We all have buried power lines, so its either all or none. 

Russian hackers?

• Haha 1

Just now, JackDaWack said:

Funny stuff... Valvoline doesn't even put a shelf life on their synthetic oil, yet mobile 1 says only 5 years. I would be interested to know what in the mobile one is "going bad" in a 5 year period when stored in a sealed container. These oils last a long time at significant temps, so storing in a garage at 80 degrees should be no issue, especially sealed. 

If it were in a machine, it really cant hurt to change every couple years if it's low use. I just change it every time i have to use the genset since we end up running it for a few days straight. 

There were some studies done on oil that was upwards of 45 years old by Blackstone labs.

The result?  Same specs as it was the day it was bottled.

I think they even tested oil that was in non-sealed cans and the result was the same.

Contamination is the only real issue, water infiltration being the biggest problem.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Just got a call, our power is back on!  

Power came back on a little before 10AM, was on for a few minutes then went off again.  My wife saw on FB a fire from a downed wire after they energized.  Over 24 hours now without power, got the generator turning!

2 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

My neighbor down a few houses had their Honda get squashed in half by a large tree.  I mean squashed down to the pavement like an Abrams tank rolled over the top.

That's terrible. On my way to work last night I watched a crane pull a tree out of a house roof down the street. It left a rather large hole. Luckily we had lots of pruning and 20 or so trees taken out last month. Power was out for about 24 hours. I'm currently giving food the sniff test. :nea:

10 hours ago, Sota said:

what the fuck happened to JCP&L's shit

Deregulation.  It's just a for profit business now.  There was a time when a very strict government standard existed, surviving nukes and shit.  Now it's just shareholders and P&L.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, 45Doll said:

. Right now over 60% of JCP&L customers have no power.

For once in this century, we're not one of them!

By some miracle I didn't loose power at the store or my house (though I have Sussex Rural at the house). Lights were flickering really bad yesterday and I was expecting it go out  at any minute. Somehow, it didn't, and I'm really glad because JCP&L would probably have taken a week to get it back on again. The light a Reservoir Rd on Rt 23 was still out tonight.