Malsua

Isaias - Sump pumps ready?

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I wonder if this guy was reading my post here? Oh, and I have a Generac....

........"Aaron Jagdfeld, CEO of Generac, in an appearance on “Closing Bell” said new battery technology has opened the door for households and businesses to become energy independent from the traditional electric grid and break away from centralized systems.

“We think that there is a massive change coming real soon in the grid,” he said. “You’re going to see a lot more decentralized, on-site power generation, from solar to wind. Batteries are a key component of that, of course, because you need to be able to store that energy so that you can use it and deploy it at different times during the day.”

Battery technology is a key component to power decentralized electrical systems, and Generac has made progress to gain exposure to the emerging segment of power generation, Jagdfeld said."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/generac-ceo-anticipates-massive-change-coming-to-the-power-grid.html

I've been looking at the Telsa Powerwall for my Fl home.  There are two other competitors but the technology is kinda perfect for Florida.  Utilities are buried for the most part so outages are short except when a hurricane rolls through.    It's FLORIDA so there is lots of sun for Solar.    Finally the neighborhood is fairly densely populated, so no noisy generator.

Time to assess your readiness for storms after this and act accordingly. Each one should be a learning experience.  Plenty of "storms" on the horizon.  Nature and man made. 

This is just the start of hurricane season. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, Malsua said:

I've been looking at the Telsa Powerwall for my Fl home.  There are two other competitors but the technology is kinda perfect for Florida.  Utilities are buried for the most part so outages are short except when a hurricane rolls through.    It's FLORIDA so there is lots of sun for Solar.    Finally the neighborhood is fairly densely populated, so no noisy generator.

I just looked at the Tesla and the Generac. I'll use both as a comparison to illustrate the cost savings of going with a natural gas standby generator. They are nice, but impractical as I don't have solar panels, nor the sun exposure to justify getting them. One more reason to buy a farm. :D

For you guys who lost fridges and freezers worth of food, this might be a help from PSE&G:

...."Public Service Electric & Gas said Monday it will cover the cost of spoiled food and medicine for customers who lost power for at least 72 hours following Tropical Storm Isaias.

PSE&G announced it will reimburse its residential customers up to $250 and commercial customers up to $5,000 for food spoilage if their service was interrupted for 72 hours or longer between Aug. 4 and 12 because of Tropical Storm Isaias.

Jersey Central Power & Light isn't following PSE&G's lead.

"Unfortunately, we do not reimburse for loss food or for damages related to an act of nature, an act of God, like the storm was," JCP&L President Jim Fakult said at a recent press conference.

Atlantic City Electric said it considers "each claim on a case-by-case basis" and also encourages customers to check with their insurance policies.

"Tropical Storm Isaias had devastating impacts on South Jersey and our customers," the company said in a statement. "We understand how frustrating it can be to lose refrigerated items and we encourage our customers to file a claim by downloading" a claim form.

https://www.app.com/story/money/business/main-street/2020/08/17/isaias-pseg-food-refund-tropical-storm-power-outages-jcpl/3384827001/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1