SIGUY1234

Legality of Building AR Variant during Murphy administration(8-2-2020)

3 minutes ago, Gabesdad said:

After following this thread, I am getting nervous of muffing this build up in regards to the law.  Are CTR stocks legal?  Looking at a lower with a magpul ctr stock.  I think it is, but you never know in this state.

they are legal, just need to be pinned so they are not collapsible.  How is Gabe by the way?

Gabe is good,  he is early teens.  I will keep it until he becomes of age.  I taught him safety with a bb gun, took him to the range a few times so he can see firearms safety in action.  He's never fired a firearm, but I'd like him to learn on a 5.56 or .223 platform.

Thanks Rutgers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gabesdad said:

Gabe is good,  he is early teens.  I will keep it until he becomes of age.  I taught him safety with a bb gun, took him to the range a few times so he can see firearms safety in action.  He's never fired a firearm, but I'd like him to learn on a 5.56 or .223 platform.

Thanks Rutgers.

where you from?  you can join us sometime if you'd like.  I started mine on BB guns in the basement and now they have their own and built their own ARs during Covid.

4 hours ago, Gabesdad said:

After following this thread, I am getting nervous of muffing this build up in regards to the law.  Are CTR stocks legal?  Looking at a lower with a magpul ctr stock.  I think it is, but you never know in this state.

As Rutgers said, CTR is fine as long as you pin it.  This applies to any collapsible stock.  I went with the MOE fixed carbine stock for my build.  It's great if you are building a carbine AR15, very solid, no movement at all when on the gun which helps with accuracy.  It's also inexpensive.  Here's a link.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/ar15-m4-m16-sr25-m110-ar10/moe-fixed-carbine-stock-mil-spec.html?mp_global_color=118

Once you have the stock figured out all you need a compliant upper and 10rd mag and you are set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarGazer said:

As Rutgers said, CTR is fine as long as you pin it.  This applies to any collapsible stock.  I went with the MOE fixed carbine stock for my build.  It's great if you are building a carbine AR15, very solid, no movement at all when on the gun which helps with accuracy.  It's also inexpensive.  Here's a link.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/stocks/ar15-m4-m16-sr25-m110-ar10/moe-fixed-carbine-stock-mil-spec.html?mp_global_color=118

Once you have the stock figured out all you need a compliant upper and 10rd mag and you are set. 

Thanks StarGazer.  Now to find a lower without a stock...

8 minutes ago, Gabesdad said:

Thanks StarGazer.  Now to find a lower without a stock...

You can always build your own lower,  it's not too difficult, but I realize not everyone wants to.   If you aren't in a rush, this Aero comes complete less stock.  Very high quality for the price. You just need to wait for it to come back in stock. Set up an email alert.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-carbine-complete-lower-a2-grip-anodized

8 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

You can always build your own lower,  it's not too difficult, but I realize not everyone wants to.   If you aren't in a rush, this Aero comes complete less stock.  Very high quality for the price. You just need to wait for it to come back in stock. Set up an email alert.

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-carbine-complete-lower-a2-grip-anodized

The lowers that you build, which I do not have a problem doing, will I have issues regarding serial numbers?  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Gabesdad said:

The lowers that you build, which I do not have a problem doing, will I have issues regarding serial numbers?  Thanks.

The lower is the firearm (and has the serial.)  It can only be bought/transferred through an FFL in NJ.  If you get one online it needs to sent to a NJ FFL that will transfer it to you.  You will have no issues if you build a rifle from it.  If you try to build an "other",  you may or may not run into legal issues.

2 minutes ago, StarGazer said:

The lower is the firearm (and has the serial.)  It can only be bought/transferred through an FFL in NJ.  If you get one online it needs to sent to a NJ FFL that will transfer it to you.  You will have no issues if you build a rifle from it.  If you try to build an "other",  you may or may not run into legal issues.

Thanks for the clarification 

48 minutes ago, InFamous said:

Build your own, it's fun and a 10 minute YouTube video explains everything. Lowers are actually fun to build regardless of the dentents and springs flying everywhere. 

It is NEVER FUN  when dentents and springs go flying everywhere!  It is however, part of the learning experience that we all face!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gabesdad said:

Had my share of stripping M16’s.  Just never the trigger assembly.  Will be fun.

Trigger is probably easiest part of a lower build lol, enjoy brother!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RUTGERS95 said:

gun deals has ghost poverty ponies for 50 which is great as you don't get the stupid horse and the lower is like any other.  I also trust Anderson qc FAR more than psa. 

I have to say, I picked up the Anderson LPK and really like it. Great trigger for a budget build.  All the parts were nicely seperated and laid out.  I put it into a PSA NJ Forums lower which I also really like.  I'm not sure how you muck up a lower.  It seems like a very simple part to mill.  That being said, if I could get some ghost ponies locally I'd pick up a few.  Anderson did impress.

I recently used 2 Anderson LPK on builds the boys did and was very pleased with them.  I usually only use Colt, DD, or Aero but these were available at a great price with 2 ghost lowers so I pulled the trigger.  Very very pleased and would not hesitate to go this route again

• Like 1