eyeinstine

Insane primer prices?!?! Is this for real?!

Holy crap!  I got 1,000 large pistol and small rifle  primers from Cheyenne in Bordentown a few weeks ago for $35.00 each!

Screw converting my IRA to Gold!  I want to invest in ammo and reloading components!  If this shit ever normalizes again,  Oh Boy am I going to stock up!!:)

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Holy crap!  I got 1,000 large pistol and small rifle  primers from Cheyenne in Bordentown a few weeks ago for $35.00 each!

Screw converting my IRA to Gold!  I want to invest in ammo and reloading components!  If this shit ever normalizes again,  Oh Boy am I going to stock up!!:)

I hear ya!!  I am well stocked with sealed cases of factory ammo in almost all of my calibers; figured id save that for the unlikely SHTF scenario. I started acquiring reloading components to just make plinking ammo.. but at those crazy prices of primers, im seriously tempted to start selling off my supplies and turn a huge profit and sit back and wait until the dust settles next year and restock up...

crazy times indeed

24 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I'd like to see how these are getting shipped out.  You need a Hazmat shipping qualification and a UPS account.  

i wonder how many non-dealer folks just stuff the boxes of primers in a flat rate box with some crumpled news paper and call it a day...  i assume the P.O. has no way of knowing what the contents are..  And im not advocating doing that; just figuring it must happen..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I'd like to see how these are getting shipped out.  You need a Hazmat shipping qualification and a UPS account.  

Some say local pickup. If they're charging what looks like 5-10x normal pricing, they can afford the hazmat fee. 

I hear you brother, I too have ample cases of ammo I need for what I think is a LIKELY SHTH fan scenario!  I realize it's highly unlikely that I would get off 100 rounds total in a SHTF scenario before I get killed! So why stock thousands of rounds? I can't answer that question! I may be stupid but I won't stop stockpiling when it's cheap.  Even if it becomes illegal to possess, there will always be a black market for ammo!  My kids will make a fortune!  All's well that end well!

22 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

i wonder how many non-dealer folks just stuff the boxes of primers in a flat rate box with some crumpled news paper and call it a day...  i assume the P.O. has no way of knowing what the contents are..  And im not advocating doing that; just figuring it must happen..

I decided the risks were not worth the reward.  Primers are volatile.  If they were to explode in midair in a plane - that would potentially get traced back.. and cause a world of shit.

13 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Some say local pickup. If they're charging what looks like 5-10x normal pricing, they can afford the hazmat fee. 

It's not just the fees - I looked into it.  You have to have hazmat certification training - several hundred dollars (if not thousands) of training.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

For primers only, in their original packaging, yes you are correct.

However, the loophole in the USPS is that you can ship primed brass in the regular mail.

16 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

I've shipped ammo and primers from a UPS counter at a depot....

Hmmm.. guess the burden is on them then; if its one of the counters where you hand them the item and then they package it up and ship it for you.?

I bought 2000 CCI large pistol and 1000 large pistol magnum primers on Friday at a local ACE Hardware store for $32/$34 per thousand and thought that was really high.  I guess I should put them on Gunbroker.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Hmmm.. guess the burden is on them then; if its one of the counters where you hand them the item and then they package it up and ship it for you.?

Yes this was about 5 yrs ago