NJ_Dude

References for gun permit (FID)

My employer gets contacted every time I apply for permits. 

They are in Texas (and most all of them, good GUN toting Texans!)...and they think it’s ‘cute’ that the NJ State Police calls them about ‘permission’ to buy a gun. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

My employer gets contacted every time I apply for permits. 

They are in Texas (and most all of them, good GUN toting Texans!)...and they think it’s ‘cute’ that the NJ State Police calls them about ‘permission’ to buy a gun. 

Well, mine are in Mass 

Besides the names and emails from my references, do I need their addresses, phones? sorry I'm asking too many questions but I don't want to screw up.

I appreciate the input.

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve applied for pistol permits, but I do believe you need addresses and phone numbers. 

Check the forms on the website. 

Now the application is online which is convenient but you need to have the info in advance.

Last time I got permits (4 months ago) my town was still on paper forms so all I needed wa name, address, and phone for my references (no e-mail).

The only time my employer was contacted was for my initial FID years ago.

1 hour ago, Bighungry618 said:

You'll definitely need their email addresses, addresses and phone numbers.   They will send an email to your references that they will fill out submit online.  My place of employment has never been contacted.  

Thanks for the info.

I would call the people your submitting the info to. I was one of  my son's reference info for firearms ID & pistol permits. Yes Im his Dad. He did all online applications.  It said nothing on the form about relatives "not qualifying" as a reference.  

He has received his Firearms ID CARD & Pistol permits for NJ

Look at the online form it should contain instructions

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve applied for pistol permits, but I do believe you need addresses and phone numbers. 

Check the forms on the website. 

You do, but they'll get emailed their reference forms. My references on my last pistol permits submitted their forms within 15 minutes of me applying for the permits so it definitely gets emailed out fast.

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

FYI...My town, Berkeley Twp, allows immediate family members to be the references. I use my wife and my father. Of course, your town may be different.

Does it say the on the online form? meaning the qualifying references?, of course I will notify my references before hand.

I appreciate the input.

9 hours ago, Malice4you said:

References usually can't be relatives, but can be friends out of state. Make sure email address is correct.

Employer will probably be contacted. Mine has not been in the past, but assume they will.

Refs can be a relative.  And employers can only answer if they are employed by them or not. 

3 hours ago, NJ_Dude said:

Does it say the on the online form? meaning the qualifying references?, of course I will notify my references before hand.

I appreciate the input.

It does not say that on the state form, but my town has a page that says family is ok for refs. Your town may differ.