45Doll

GIGANTIC Explosion in Beirut

Well I'll be very interested to find out what this was that blew up. From a distance it almost looks like a small atom bomb.

Be sure to watch the clip at the end from 'Mike'  that shows there were actually two explosions. And in that clip you see the second one close up.

A warehouse full of what?

Explosion caused by "confiscated high explosive material," Lebanese official says

Major General Abbas Ibrahim, of Lebanon's General Security Directorate, said the massive blast that shook Beirut's port area on Tuesday was caused by confiscated “high explosive materials.”

It would be "naive to describe such an explosion as due to fireworks," Ibrahim told Lebanese TV.

8 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Well I'll be very interested to find out what this was that blew up. From a distance it almost looks like a small atom bomb.

Be sure to watch the clip at the end from 'Mike'  that shows there were actually two explosions. And in that clip you see the second one close up.

A warehouse full of what?

You can get a mushroom cloud from enough high explosive.  I've seen mushroom clouds from the 10,000 lb bombs they used to clear LZs in Vietnam.  IIRC the cloud is caused by air rushing back to the vacuum caused by the explosion.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

10,000 lb bombs they used to clear LZs in Vietnam. 

Daisy cutter, pure awesomeness.  I giant muther effing lawnmower that clears at least a football field in the blink of an eye.

Basically, you said it.  A daisy cutter has at least the same amount of explosive as that involved in the explosion.  If it was ordnance, it would have gone off like that Russian ammo depot mishap a while back.  It would be several explosions, not just one big boom.  I know there were two, but the second one was the ass kicker.  News says it was probably ammonium nitrate storage tanks.

EDIT:  I heard that the radius was about 2 kilometers.  That's Hiroshima sized, so it's no wonder there was speculation very early that it may have been a nuke.

• Like 1

Looks like Iran and their pals of the Hezbollah are going tru a patch of bad luck. I would guess the US and Israel are cleaning up just in case Biden wins and we go back to shipping them plane loads of cash just like in the old days. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sources-string-attacks-iranian-sites-result-moles-within-jake-novak/

On 8/4/2020 at 3:51 PM, 45Doll said:

Latest info is a confiscated store of ammonium nitrate. Next to a fireworks depot.

How nice.

Brilliant planning right there.

What could possibly go wrong?

Fox just reported the warehouse had 2800 tons of ammonium nitrate.

I'm not an explosives expert but do know that ammonium nitrate is about 40% as effective as TNT.  You also need a smaller charge of high level explosive to set ammonium nitrate off.

4 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Fox just reported the warehouse had 2800 tons of ammonium nitrate.

I'm not an explosives expert but do know that ammonium nitrate is about 40% as effective as TNT.  You also need a smaller charge of high level explosive to set ammonium nitrate off.

Now the story is that the ammonium nitrate was stored on a Russian ship that was seized and abandoned in the port.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-ship-storing-ammonium-nitrate-was-left-in-beirut-port-without-safety-precautions-repo

Just now, tomk62 said:

Now the story is that the ammonium nitrate was stored on a Russian ship that was seized and abandoned in the port.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-ship-storing-ammonium-nitrate-was-left-in-beirut-port-without-safety-precautions-repo

Russians? Ah Ha! Trump did it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The various videos of the two explosions in Beirut are dramatically shocking, chilling and sobering!  Speaking to an associate of mine today, who knows more about this than I do, he explained what it is that we see on those videos.  

He said that the so-called, very large white dome expanding rapidly through the air is an overpressure wave caused by the mass of exploding ammonium nitrate fertilizer.   That in turn, pushes molecules of humid air against each other as it moves Out in all directions.  This wave of air reflects and bounces, destroying some buildings while causing less damage to others.   As @GRIZ mentioned, the detonation of almost 2,800 tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer would make this presumed accidental industrial explosion in Beirut one of the most powerful non-nuclear explosions on record.  My friend told me that the approx. 2,800 tons of the fertilizer in the Beirut warehouse was roughly equivalent to 1,155 tons of TNT.

With 135 deaths (so far), and at least 5,000 people injured, this is the last thing the Lebanese people needed, on top of dealing with the COVID-19 virus pandemic....

AVB-AMG