revenger

JCP&L repairs crews?

Conspicuous by their absence.

Most of Morris county out of power,   I travel all over the county every day and have not observed any crews repairing wires.  all I see is traffic cones diverting traffic.  nobody fixing anything.               now they are saying not until Tuesday for restoration.

what is the real reason for this,  did they get a stand down order from someone,  did the CEO's put a stoppage on repairs.

Back in the old days you would observe repairs crews working 24/7 to restore power,  Today there is nothing and NOBODY has any answers.

has anyone seen any crews working?   anyone have any truthful answers as to when power comes back.

thanks 

1 hour ago, revenger said:

Most of Morris county out of power,   I travel all over the county every day and have not observed any crews repairing wires.  all I see is traffic cones diverting traffic.  nobody fixing anything.               now they are saying not until Tuesday for restoration.

what is the real reason for this,  did they get a stand down order from someone,  did the CEO's put a stoppage on repairs.

Back in the old days you would observe repairs crews working 24/7 to restore power,  Today there is nothing and NOBODY has any answers.

has anyone seen any crews working?   anyone have any truthful answers as to when power comes back.

thanks 

Last major storm up here, it took them 4 days to get to the pole that snapped in half on a pretty major roadway that connects the northern part of town. It took them the entire day to clean up the tree and to fix just that pole, when i left my house for work they were just arriving, by the time i got home they were pulling the lines up it, and it wasnt another 5-6 hours before the power was back on. They rigged the upper part of the pole that snapped, it was tethered mid air, and they didnt completely fix it until another 3 weeks later.  We too, never really saw them out working, but they are there. We were the last ones to get power back. 

The crews are out there, even if you don't see them. Trees fall and shit, its a factor living in NJ where we get hit by storms regularly. Our entire grid has probably been replaced in the past 10 years up here, but its the trees that are the problem, not the equipment. Other places may suffer from equipment failures, and shortage of supplies. 

There is no such answer to when power will be back, and it probably pisses people off more to get an estimate only to have it be inaccurate. If you live somewhere populated, estimate 4 days.. if you get it sooner consider yourself lucky.

If you can find them, there is ussually a hundred or so trucks at the staging areas at night in your local area.. ussually a mall parking lot or something near a big hotel.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:08 PM, JackDaWack said:

, but its the trees that are the problem, not the equipment.

This is the main problem that no one wants to address.  Much easier to blame the utilities for not acting fast enough when trees and limbs fall on power lines. 

There needs to be a major tree clearing effort in the state anywhere near transmission lines, not trimming,  removal and no new plantings allowed by law.   

Unfortunately, this will never happen,  people love their trees (until it falls on the house) and the utilities don't want the expense  

22 minutes ago, Bomber said:

This is the main problem that no one wants to address.  Much easier to blame the utilities for not acting fast enough when trees and limbs fall on power lines. 

There needs to be a major tree clearing effort in the state anywhere near transmission lines, not trimming,  removal and no new plantings allowed by law.   

Unfortunately, this will never happen,  people love their trees (until it falls on the house) and the utilities don't want the expense  

There are literally tons of tree clearing efforts all over the state. Up in the Morristown area there are huge swaths where they are tagging and nuking anything withing 3 feet of the roadway. It was pretty active prior to this covid-19 stuff.

Part of the problem is tree trimming used to be maintenance that was done. Then they stopped. Now they don't want to do maintenance but to clear cut everything until it's jsut lawn as far as the eye can see. Lawn we don't have to water to water. So...

Part of this is pretending everything is only as expensive as foreign labor dictates. We don't want to admit that owning a few road frontage trees might have an annual cost higher than a large TV.

The Board of Public Utilities  is appointed by politicraps who have let the utilities get away with not doing tree maintenance anymore.  The politicraps all take "contributions" from said utilities.  

i remember when they did preventive tree trimming?  The utilities save multi millions not doing maintenance.

The utilities lobbied [bribed] them to look the other way and not hold them accountable while the infrastructure became over grown with trees and overloaded with building everywhere and NOT improving the infrastructure.  You are now seeing the results. 

JCP&L has been called out before for doing significantly less, relative to most other power companies, preventive tree maintenance along their lines.   And once again they reaped the savings, and the consumers paid the price

We just got our power back a couple of hours ago; we were out for 88 hours.  Better, at least, than after Sandy (7 days) and Irene (8 days).

On 8/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, revenger said:

thanks 

I'm all about a good theory, but if they were told to "stand down", whats the motivation here?

Money,  Thats always the motivation.   When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's when a disaster happened "Public Service" repair trucks would be everywhere, Remember those old olive drab trucks with the triangle/circle logo.   Today it is these mega-energy companies who are beholden to the shareholders and not the customers. 

Just a guess but the excuse I am told today for every service that is supposed to be provided by someone or organization today is " you know, the covid"

These services, all of them are staffed at dangerously low levels.  Dangerous to the workers and dangerous to the citizens.  The agency I work  (26+ years) for is now staffed at a level that we can no loner provide the 24/7 emergency management functions  that we once were able to provide,  we just "put out fires" so to say.