EWC88

Handgun transfer question

Hey guys have a quick question. My father is moving and in doing so he wants to give me 3/4 handguns of his. I know I need to get my permits but what is the process on doing this the proper way? 

2 hours ago, EWC88 said:

Hey guys have a quick question. My father is moving and in doing so he wants to give me 3/4 handguns of his. I know I need to get my permits but what is the process on doing this the proper way? 

Need permits but transactions between immediate family members are exempt from NICS. So you just need to fill out the permits and mail the proper copies to the proper authorities. Since he's giving 3 or 4 handguns either you apply for a multiple purchase exemption or you need to wait 30 days between each transaction. Saying it in another way, the one gun a month still applies between family members.

20 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Need permits but transactions between immediate family members are exempt from NICS. So you just need to fill out the permits and mail the proper copies to the proper authorities. Since he's giving 3 or 4 handguns either you apply for a multiple purchase exemption or you need to wait 30 days between each transaction. Saying it in another way, the one gun a month still applies between family members.

Good point on the 30 day expemption.

I got an exemption once a few years ago.  It took 2 weeks to go through.

Not too long ago I was getting 2 handguns through a FFL.  I talked about getting an exemption and he said they were taking 6-8 weeks.  Worth it if you are getting 20 guns.  It was faster for me to have him hold the second gun for 30 days.