gleninjersey

Cheeseburger Casserole

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground beef (Zeke uses turkey.....b/c he is one!)
3 Tablespoons onion powder
4 eggs
1 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup heavy cream
16 oz shredded cheddar cheese (I used Colby Jack this time & it was delicious.  Use what ever cheese you want to)
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:

1,  Brown the ground beef & drain excess fat
2.  In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, mayo, heavy cream, onion powder, salt & pepper.  Wisk it until there are no chunks & it's a thick      liquid consistency.  Add in about 3/4 of the shreeded cheese and mix some more.
3.  Put meat into 9 inch pie pan or any oven safe dish.
4.  Pour the mayo/eggs/heavy cream, etc mixture over the meat.  i like to stir it up and then level it off / flatten it out.
Use the remaining shredded cheese put on top and spread it around.

Bake at around 350 degress for about 30-45 minutes depending on how thick / think your dishes are.  I baked mine pictured above for closer to 45 minutes out on the grill.  Bake until it's bubbling.  If cooking in an oven it may take less time due to more even temps.  

Too cook on the grill (I have a four burner gas grill), I put two burners on low and baked on the opposite side (no heat underneath).  I use indirect heat.  

Take out and let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

My entire family loves this recipe.  And on hot summer days you can bake it on a gas grill outside so you aren't making the house warmer by using the oven.  I brown the meat and mix everything inside the nice air conditioned house.  Then throw it on a pre-heated grill.

From starting to eating is probablya bout 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes depending on how quick you are.  Plus I made two.  So if you are only making one definetly closer to an hour.  Very easy to brown meat, mix a few ingredients in a bowl, pour it into a dish, top with MORE cheese and bake!

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Is that Pyrex?  Seems you can make this in a microwave 

I think so.  I baked it on the grill. 2 burners on low and the dishes on unheated side of the grill.

You probably could make it in a microwave but I like the crispy edges.  Can't get that in a microwave.  Also like how the cheese on top melts and gets toasty in the oven or grill.

25 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Honestly it was bland, and now I just realized that's probably because I forgot the "stir it up" part on step 4.  I'll have to try it again.

IMG_1915.thumb.jpg.0f19482229417972b698c761cca26c53.jpg

lol.  Yeah, that looks like browned meat with scrambled eggs on top.

FYI - I use a little garlic powder in addition to the onion powder.  I think I use 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.

Another FYI - I make a taco casserole using the same method.  Brown the meat with the taco seasoning.  Use the Mexican blend shreeded cheese.  After it's cooked you can throw sour cream, guac, salsa, etc on top.  It's pretty damn yummy.  

1 minute ago, gleninjersey said:

FYI - I use a little garlic powder in addition to the onion powder.  I think I use 1 tablespoon of garlic powder.

I did that, plus added raw finely chopped onion to the cooked ground beef.  I also have a suggestion to lay 4 to 5 strips of bacon over the top

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I did that, plus added raw finely chopped onion to the cooked ground beef.  I also have a suggestion to lay 4 to 5 strips of bacon over the top

I've done the bacon.  Cooked it before hand, chopped it up and threw it in the mix.  

Laying it on top, you may want to partially cook it first.  It will make the casserole less greasy and also unsure the bacon is cooked.

Try making a Taco Casserole.  I think it's even better than the Cheeseburger Casserole!

2 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Honestly it was bland, and now I just realized that's probably because I forgot the "stir it up" part on step 4.  I'll have to try it again.

IMG_1915.thumb.jpg.0f19482229417972b698c761cca26c53.jpg

I did the mix. Needs moar spices or sumtin. But good nonetheless. Will redo